“Enjoyable and Informative” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Aquariums, Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Parks, Theaters
Activities: Swimming with dolphins
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A park where children age 13 and older can swim with dolphins.
Merritt Island, Florida
20 attraction reviews
“Enjoyable and Informative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stopped in to see what they offered and enjoyed the shows. The guides/trainers are very friendly and the different shows were fun and informative. They offer a variety of programs if you want to get closer to the animals, if you want to buy them, otherwise the admittance fee is reasonable. It only takes a few hours to see all the shows and to walk the nature trail. A nice way to spend a morning.

“Really enjoyed it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

The place shows its age in places but it is a place with heart. The people running the shows were fun and engaged. The animals were great. The beach is really nothing special but I would definitely recommend going to the shows and exploring the park.

Monument, Colorado
“Great for all ages!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We had never heard of the Theater of the Sea, so decided to stop in. Skip the gift shop and go directly to the shows. It only takes about 2 1/2 hours to see everything, but they do a good job of guiding you from one exhibit to the next. The nature walk was the okay, but we think it was a new guide. Everything else was great, even the food court.

Miami, Florida
14 attraction reviews
“We are locals. We bring our kids here. Love it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We are locals and we have 3 kids ages 12,5,3. We love it. We've been to the miami sea aquarium and we like this place more. It's just homier. My kids always get to pet the seal, kiss the dolphin, participate in the shows, etc. it's small, not huge. But we like the small family atmosphere it has.

Norton Shores, Michigan
25 attraction reviews
“Trainers really love the animals!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I LOVED Theater of the Sea, it is so much better than a bigger Sea World in my opinion, you have a better view of the shows and experience. Also, the grounds and gift shop double as a cat rescue, homing SIXTY cats! And following every show the trainers give a small blurb about how you can help conserve the species and their fragile environments.

When you enter the grounds you walk through the gift shop to buy your tickets, which is a little confusing because there are separate areas if you're buying a "swim/touch/feed" experience or just general admission. The cashier will direct you to the next show (there is only one show running at a time).

Our first show was the parrot show, amazing! I had no idea they were so smart and they are very well trained and informative. Next was the dolphin show, this is what I'm talking about when I say you have better seats and an experience in a small venue. The dolphin is so close, you get to see his amazing maneuvering and they select people out of the audience to come meet him, meaning you get to choose if you want a kiss from the dolphin or to pet him.
Our third show was the walrus show, I had no idea they were so intelligent! They caught rings from audience members, showed how good they are with taking medication and know the difference between their food (jello cubes) and ice. My husband's favorite part was when the walrus smiled -- not very pretty!
Next up we were SUPPOSED to go on the boat tour (just to the end of the dolphin's lagoon and back with dolphin tricks thrown in). Well not everyone could fit on the first trip, so we remained standing in line -- when the boat came back to load up the second trip an employee came out and told us that we needed to line up in a completely different area -- therefore my husband and I lost our spots in line even tho we'd remained where the last line was! That was very frustrating and we decided to skip the boat tour. Also, before arriving at the park I thought this would be a glassbottom boat tour, no it's a 7-minute ride, so if you're interested check out John Pennekamp State Park.
So we also skipped the nature walk because now our schedule for the day was all thrown off. We wandered through the park seeing the fish, HUGE turtles, alligators, crocodiles, parrots and more.
We had lunch in the park which was iffy, there were two guys working it, don't order a pizza because it takes 12 minutes and don't expect free refills after paying an insane price. Husband and I split chicken nuggets with fries and a drink for $17! You're definitely paying amusement-park prices for food here.
The swimming lagoon was also disappointing, it's a small area and right before we went to jump in a lizard joined us and I no longer wanted to swim! But make sure you check out the gift shop, the clothing prices are really good in comparison to other places we looked, but we got ripped off on post cards. They have lots of nick knacks too.