“Great for all ages!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Activities: Swimming with dolphins
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Our mission is to provide a wonderful home for our animals while sharing them with visitors in ways that inspire awareness and sensitivity towards animals, the environment, and conservation issues. At Theater of the Sea watch up close and personal DOLPHIN SHOWS, sea lion shows, parrot shows, and much more! A pioneer in animal interactive programs, at Theater of the Sea you can... SWIM WITH A DOLPHIN... SWIM WITH A SEA LION... Wade, Meet and Paint with a Dolphin... Meet and Paint with a Sea Lion... Swim with the Rays... Swim with the Sharks... And Meet the Sea Turtles! Our 30 minute dolphin swims include BOTH trained behaviors like dorsal tows, kisses, and hugs as well as swimming and snorkeling with dophins. We offer a variety of animal interaction programs for various ages and prices. Programs are available daily and include admission to our dolphin, sea lion, and parrot shows, guided marne life tour, lagoon-side beach, and bottomless boat ride. Theater of the Sea is family owned and operated since 1946 and one of the oldest marine mammal facilities in the world. The lagoons and lush, tropical gardens are home to Atlantic bottlenose dolphins, California sea lions, sea turtles, tropical and game fish, sharks, stingrays, alligators, marine invertebrates, and birds.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Monument, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great for all ages!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We had never heard of the Theater of the Sea, so decided to stop in. Skip the gift shop and go directly to the shows. It only takes about 2 1/2 hours to see everything, but they do a good job of guiding you from one exhibit to the next. The nature walk was the okay, but we think it was a new guide. Everything else was great, even the food court.

Miami, Florida
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“We are locals. We bring our kids here. Love it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We are locals and we have 3 kids ages 12,5,3. We love it. We've been to the miami sea aquarium and we like this place more. It's just homier. My kids always get to pet the seal, kiss the dolphin, participate in the shows, etc. it's small, not huge. But we like the small family atmosphere it has.

Norton Shores, Michigan
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Trainers really love the animals!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I LOVED Theater of the Sea, it is so much better than a bigger Sea World in my opinion, you have a better view of the shows and experience. Also, the grounds and gift shop double as a cat rescue, homing SIXTY cats! And following every show the trainers give a small blurb about how you can help conserve the species and their fragile environments.

When you enter the grounds you walk through the gift shop to buy your tickets, which is a little confusing because there are separate areas if you're buying a "swim/touch/feed" experience or just general admission. The cashier will direct you to the next show (there is only one show running at a time).

Our first show was the parrot show, amazing! I had no idea they were so smart and they are very well trained and informative. Next was the dolphin show, this is what I'm talking about when I say you have better seats and an experience in a small venue. The dolphin is so close, you get to see his amazing maneuvering and they select people out of the audience to come meet him, meaning you get to choose if you want a kiss from the dolphin or to pet him.
Our third show was the walrus show, I had no idea they were so intelligent! They caught rings from audience members, showed how good they are with taking medication and know the difference between their food (jello cubes) and ice. My husband's favorite part was when the walrus smiled -- not very pretty!
Next up we were SUPPOSED to go on the boat tour (just to the end of the dolphin's lagoon and back with dolphin tricks thrown in). Well not everyone could fit on the first trip, so we remained standing in line -- when the boat came back to load up the second trip an employee came out and told us that we needed to line up in a completely different area -- therefore my husband and I lost our spots in line even tho we'd remained where the last line was! That was very frustrating and we decided to skip the boat tour. Also, before arriving at the park I thought this would be a glassbottom boat tour, no it's a 7-minute ride, so if you're interested check out John Pennekamp State Park.
So we also skipped the nature walk because now our schedule for the day was all thrown off. We wandered through the park seeing the fish, HUGE turtles, alligators, crocodiles, parrots and more.
We had lunch in the park which was iffy, there were two guys working it, don't order a pizza because it takes 12 minutes and don't expect free refills after paying an insane price. Husband and I split chicken nuggets with fries and a drink for $17! You're definitely paying amusement-park prices for food here.
The swimming lagoon was also disappointing, it's a small area and right before we went to jump in a lizard joined us and I no longer wanted to swim! But make sure you check out the gift shop, the clothing prices are really good in comparison to other places we looked, but we got ripped off on post cards. They have lots of nick knacks too.

Cape Coral, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Make sure you know your prices.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Took my grandchildren and their parents to this and the children loved it but some how I wasn't told or was not specific enough on the prices for wading with dolphins for 4 people. Did not see the receipt since I was just a spectator but was shock when I did see the credit card bill when I was charged $175/person or ($850) for the day. By that time it was too late and would not have planned this if I knew the cost. Really wasn't worth it since the children were under the age of 10.
I don't like surprises nor would I have mentioned anything to my grandchildren. But its too late now. Will know better for the next set of grandchildren.

Staffordsville, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice way to spend the afternoon.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

It is a little pricey. The shows wasn't long enough. The attendant said that the show started at 3:30.....but really it had started at 3:00. They said that it was a 2 1/2 hour show more like 1 1/2. Still worth stopping and taking in the shows.