“"great hotel" staff not so much” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #15 of 40 hotels in Key West
miami floria
“"great hotel" staff not so much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My fiancée and I stayed at the hotel for one night on November 17th 2012. The hotel itself is wonderful, has great view over the ocean, a great pool and a nice pool bar, fantastic restaurant and the rooms are spacious and modern. Right behind the hotel is a water sports rental facility with Jet Ski tours and paddle boat rental, tour service is spectacular and they have great appreciation for what they do, the service they provided made me plan a vacation to the keys in the near future. Unfortunately the lack of attentiveness in the hotel staff is what made our stay an unfortunate one. Upon check in everybody checking in next to us were offered Champaign and fruits. The person checking in did not offer us, so my fiancée had to ask for a glass. Later that night I ordered room service, I was quoted 30 to 40 minutes, exactly an hour after I ordered I called the operator and she told me she would check on my order and call me back. I shortly received a call from the front desk telling me the kitchen was backed up and it would be 10 more minutes. After my food arrived, the food presentation itself and quality was great, but the service is what really bothered me. The pool attendant was really nice provided me with all my needs. Upon check out the agent checking me out provided me with my detailed charge sheet. There was a charge for parking which was never mentioned to me. It doesn’t bother me the price but I think upon check it they should have made me aware of a charge for a parking spot. At that moment I did not pay it any mind. When the agent was checking me out he asked me how everything was, I told him great except for my room service taking over an hour to make it to my room, he acted like he didn’t even hear me “sign here, thank you”. I work in hospitality and what makes a place succeed is the employees, unfortunately it was like he was just following procedures rather than really wanting to know how everything was. This hotel has the location and is modern and could be a 4 or maybe a 5 star hotel, it really is that nice the rooms the pool the lobby the restaurant, but I do not know if the staff were being selective or I was just unfortunate to have all these situations. Once again the hotel is great but staff did not meet my expectations.

1,268 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We recently had our wedding at the Marriott Beachside and we can't say enough good things about it! The rooms were spacious and beautiful, the staff was amazing and the entire resort was gorgeous! It's a little away from the party action on Duval but the shuttle is complimentary and so easy and convenient. Our guests were so impressed with the resort and we can't wait to go back. As someone who travels often for work I tend to be a little pickier about resorts but I am still raving about the Marriott Beachside. I was sad to leave. Simply amazing!!!

Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Checked into the hotel last after a dark drive from Ft. Lauderdale. Was greated by smiling staff, complimentary fruit and beverage, and shown to a very comfortable 1 bdrm suite overlooking the pool. Stayed 4 nights and had awesome food (breakfast and a dinner that great). A great property with lots to do. Location on the northern side of the island means only a short drive to downtown and much quieter stay.

Would come back in a heartbeat.

Mount Laurel, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Great room but a little far from the action. They do have a free shuttle which is a great way to see the island. I would recommend this hotel simply based on the the size of the room we had but the location was only so so.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

The 3 bedroom suite was amazing with top of the line design features and furnishings. The staff was exceptional as was the cleanliness of the rooms. The off season prices made this hotel a steal! We felt like royalty!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just over the bridge coming into Key West is the Marriott beachside. While it's away from everything they do have regular shuttle service to and from the heart of town. The standard room is nice but I do recommend upgrade to a suite if you can swing it as it's more comfortable for hanging out and the high end nicely equiped kitchen is great if you're spending any time and it may pay for itself by skipping a few pricey restaurant meals and trips to the bar.Also the view is much nicer. service is great from check n to check out. Lobby, bar and restaurants are all very nice. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: get a suita and bring food and drinks
Court ice,ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed in the three bedroom presidential suite and it was excellent! The ocean view suite is well worth the extra money. There is a shuttle service that will take you downtown to where all the action is. The service runs every hour on the hour to and from.

Room Tip: The ocean view suite is well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel? Share your experiences!