“PERFECT location - good value!” 4 of 5 stars

Rose Lane Villas
522-524 Rose Lane, Key West, FL 33040   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lakeland, FL
“PERFECT location - good value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

My friends and I came to Key West to celebrate my 30th birthday and the Rose Lane Villas were the perfect choice for us. They are in the best location possible - just steps off Duval Street.

We originally booked a $100 per night room at the Holiday Inn, which is miles away. We decided to cancel that reservation when we arrived and Rose Lane Villas was able to accommodate us for about $159 per night the same day. They included a king bed in one room and a futon in the living room, which gave us LOTS of space - especially compared to a small hotel room miles away for just $59 more per night.

The only negative is that the floors really need a good cleaning. They are wood or laminate and appeared clean, but when we walked around without shoes or socks, our feet got pretty dirty.

That won't stop us from coming back again, it wasn't a big deal, but just a suggestion for the management for next time.

Overall, we loved Rose Lane Villas!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
north
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

We were pretty excited about our trip to Key West. It was a great trip but I'd have to say the Rose Lane Villas was nothing great. The villas did not give us the feeling of being in the keys. They were drab in colors and the furniture seem to be a mix of yard sale items. Bedrooms had a musty odor, were small and we had no dresser in our room for clothing. Overall the place was sort of run down and lacked Key west charm. There wasn't much for services and you were asked to keep using the same towels.
On the plus side RVL is very close to Duval St.
Again it wasn't awful but nothing to rave about.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

This was my second stay at Rose Lane Villas. Again stellar service. I just love this place. The staff and accomodations are as always awsome.Carlos actually remembered me from my first visit. How could he forget the jersey girls!!!! Only one jersey girl this time and my best friend from high school ( fla girl). I Cant wait to come back next year. Hopefully for a longer stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
old orchard beach maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

wonderful staff clean quiet close to everything aqua villa was 3ft from the pool very relaxing but it was close to everything this was our 2nd trip to key west and what a hidden jewel rose lane is i would stay here again and would recommend to all my friends

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

Pros- Great location, good setup, spatious living room, nice porch, Managers are very polite, Breakfast was available for additional charge over at their B&B - although pretty presentation, we didn't find it to be anything filling enough for breakfast (think continental breakfast) and opted to dine out.

Cons- 1.This is a very minor complaint compared to the next two but the layout pictured on the website shows a "bath tub" - in fact it was a shower (making it hard to bathe a little child). Also, you had to sit sideways on the toliet to be comfortable because the toliet is so close to the shower wall. If you do sit properly, your knees will scrape that wall!
2. Very very dirty carpets (cream parts of carpet are now brown and it turned our bare feet black) - management claims we brought in the dirt but it was that way the very first day with our shoes off.
3. Although I thought the other people reviewing the Villa Alta room must have been exaggerating (and that it wouldn't bother me), the Urine smell that others have spoken of (on other reviews) was really really bad. Sensing our vacation going downhill, we did spend a good deal of time in our room because our little one needed a nap daily, I did everything in my power to reduce/eliminate that horrible urine smell. I brought plug-ins (thinking it was just a typical old smelling building - let me reaasure you this is not your typical old smelling building, it is the unit), when that didn't work, I then bought carpet refresher thinking the smell might be coming from the dirty carpet. No luck. I just had to sniff out the main source of the smell which came from the master bedroom. It turned out the smell was coming directly from the A/C unit. When we shut it off, the smell gradually dissappeared. We left that bedroom A/C unit off for two days and let the unit in the living room cool the apartment. It never got very cool (about 78 degrees) but it was reasonable for how hot is was outside (95 degrees). When we did that, the problem was solved - smell gone. The last night we were there it was just so hot that we decided to put up with the smell for some coolness. Upon turning it on there was no smell. We slept smell free until morning, when the smell started back in again. Our guess is the drip pan is collecting up water and needs to be bleached??

At any rate, the smell everyone speaks of in this room IS FROM THE A/C UNIT. It you don't need A/C - you shouldn't have any problem with the air (although you'll have black feet).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
OldTownManor, Owner at Rose Lane Villas, responded to this review, August 13, 2009
First off, thanks to the reviewer for writing with clear thoughts and criticism.

Secondly, we are thrilled the reviewer found our location to be wonderful, spacious, and that our staff presents themselves with courteous respect. We are pleased they found our property to be a great value.

Lastly, it is important to address and clarify the negative issues this reviewer described.

To sum up simply, the Rose Lane Villas are a historic property and we strive to balance modern amenities with the charm of Old Town. In light of previous criticism, we have always claimed humidity to be out biggest challenge. It is an ongoing effort to battle its side effects. We appreciate the reviewer bringing her issues to our attention so that we can continue to address them for future guests.

This particular guest may have been better suited to a modern hotel such as the Westin or Hyatt. I believe this to be true for anyone who has high sensitivities.

We stand firm and reiterate this reviewer's initial thoughts that we are a great value in a great location with staff who care about the quality of your stay in Key West.
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

I stayed at the rose Lane Villas on April 10th, checking out on Monday April 13th. The staff at the villa was outstanding. They emailed several times before the trip from Boston with helpful information and they even called on check-in day due to our late arriving on the 10th since our drive from West Palm Beach took longer than anticipated. Rose Lane is an alley looking street with a surprising outstanding location. It is a one way street that runs to Duval Street with the Hard Rock Café on once corner and Fat Tuesday on the other. When you arrive to the parking area( right in front of the villa) you may be a little concern of your choice, but your worries will completely disappear!!! It is surpisingly awesome looking inside. Our Villa was the villa Grande, three bedrooms, Kitchen, dining area, living room and two full baths, one with a shower the other with shower and tub. The villa is on the 2nd floor. This floor has the living room, dining area, kitchen, larger bedroom and full bath with just the shower. It also has a back door to a deck/balcony with a table, chairs and umbrella. From this unit there are stairs that will take you to the third floor where you have two bedrooms and the bath with the tub. The stairs to the third floor are a little steep but doable and the bedrooms are very comfortable, one with its own balcony, small table and two chairs. Both bedrooms on the 2nd floor have the ½ ceilings do to the pitch of the roof, so if you are very tall, call dibs on the 1srt floor. My husband and I stayed in the one with the balcony and were very comfortable, he is 5’10” and I am 5’1”. All balconies/decks have access to the back where the pool is. There is also a front porch!! This unit is fully air-conditioned with window units. The furniture is clean and comfortable. Towels are provided for both bath and pool. All beds had clean sheets and blankets. We were also provided with a pack-and-play for an additional 25 dollars (great choice). The unit was fully equipped including hairdryers in both bathrooms. It does have a pool in the back, with the best time for sun between 10am and 2pm. The location couldn’t be better, close to everything, yet the commotion from Duval Street went unnoticed. I would stay here again in a second. I traveled with my 2 year old grand son, my daughter and her 10 month old son(my grandson), my 71 year old mother with two knee surgeries, my brother and my need a hip replacement husband for our son’s wedding on Saturday at the Pier House on the 11th. It was comfortable for all of us!!! (Next time, I will go alone… so I can party a little, ha ha) Please email if you have any questions. dee@massopenhouse.com

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Memphis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

Spent the week of New Years and had a wonderful time! Rose Lane is a wonderful place to stay. It has a perfect location if you want to be in the middle of all the "action" of Old Town Key West. It's within a block or 2 of many of the top bars and shops. We rented the 3 bedroom villa. The layout and size were perfect for 6 people. We had 3 balconies - 2 overlooking the pool, the other the street. The street is really a quiet alleyway that almost goes unnoticed so very little traffic. The decor, appliances, property, everything was all well maintained. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They are located at Old Town Manor, so we really only saw the housekeeping staff, which was all we needed there anyway. Old Town Manor is right behind Rose Lane but there is no cut-through so you have to walk around the block. Not a long distance, but if you have your luggage, drop it off at the villa and only send 1 person around to check in/out. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — coffee supplies, but they told you in advance
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rose Lane Villas? Share your experiences!