“The Perfect Flats Fishing Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 325 Activities in Key West
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: The Pioneers of organized private fishing, boating, sight seeing and eco charters since 1993. What We offer: Backcountry fishing on board our Yellowfin Bay Boats that can carry 4 persons easily some with bathrooms and shade -- Flats Fishing on board our state of the art flats boats with veteran professional flats fishing guides -- Tarpon Fishing specialists in the harbor, out in the backcountry or on the flats -- Deep Sea Fishing charters for groups of 6 or less -- Wreck and reef fishing out to the Dry Tortugas -- Fun Snorkeling AND Fishing combo charters -- Sight seeing, eco tours, island hopping and more of What You Want To Do -- We are also Fly Fishing instructors and fly fishing guides. Dream Catcher Charters has set the standard for the Key West fleet with incredible customer service, impeccable clean new boats and talented guides that is seldom seen anywhere. Dream Catcher Charters is directed by veteran Key West Fishing guide Capt. Steven Lamp who has a philosophy that Only The Best Will Do.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Norwalk, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
“The Perfect Flats Fishing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

On June 13, 2013 (my birthday), I took a flats fishing charter with two friends with Captain Hugh Eaton. It was the perfect day. One of my guests was in from the U.K. and, though he grew up in a fishing community, had never gone fishing. He caught his first big jack fish and is now, as they say, hooked. Hugh made sure that we all hooked up and he went out of his way to work the waters enabling us all to have a great experience. Dream Catcher Charters should be an addition to all trips to Key West.
Marty

La Porte, Texas, United States
“Fishing with Capt Hugh.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Spent the day snorkeling and fishing with Hugh. Awesome time, he was very polite and knowledgeable. Will def be back next year.

pa
13 attraction reviews
“Be Careful if your a woman”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We showed up for a 6 hr back country trip we booked for 550.00 & it was raining a little. Although we had raingear, our guide Hugh asked us to step inside & proceded to tell us "weather was going to probably get worse & if he just untied the boat & if he felt we should go in we would have to pay 450 even if it was 10 min". He didnt seem real anxious to go out & kept emphasing we would get deposit back. When we pointed out another boat that was just going out he stated "they were both men." Begrudgingly we left them holding our deposit hoping weather may improved by fri. We really felt pressured to cancel that day & did not like his assumption that me being a "woman wouldn't have fun" although my husband told the guide I have fished in much worse. The day never got worse & in fact the rain stopped & the sun peeped thru the clouds it endedn up the only decent day of week. By wednesday forecast was very grim & we called to say we would not be going fri. They proceded to tellus they will be keeping our deposit of 110.00 although we had no written agreement for fri. Not only did most of our yearly vacation to the Keys end up being very wet but cost us 110.00 to never leave the dock. We will be lookng & recommending friends elsewhere next time,

Visited June 2013
Capt_Steven, Owner at Dream Catcher Charters, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
We love this review! thanks for sharing. It gives us a chance to express our sympathy for the dreadfully bad weather we experienced here in Key West the week these folks had booked with us and tell the story the way it really happened..

This was a couple that had booked with us for our "fun" low technical day of fishing. Generally this is a day that offers folks to enjoy the sun, nice day on the water and bend rods without the stress of focusing on targeted species. A great trip, IF the weather is nice..

When the folks showed for the day Tuesday at 0800. Her MAIN REPEATED concern was rain and getting wet.. It was raining and did so till 2 pm that day.. As Tropical storm Andrea was getting spooled up and coming our way..

Based on Her concerns... Capt. Hugh explained to them our famous 50-50 weather policy and encouraged them to hold another days reservation and reschedule or cancel for a full refund of deposit with no penalty... If they wanted to go in the rain, (which he did not recommend) then decided they did not like it - We would charge them for a minimum of four hour trip. Capt. Hugh could see before he ever left the dock that SHE was NOT going to be happy out there based off of her comments and concerns about the weather at the dock.... So, as a captain should, he encouraged them not to go. Had nothing to do with her gender. Thats absurd..

Captain Hugh is being chastised for his due diligence of looking after his clients.. Not Right! Look at the many reviews Capt Hugh has garnered on this very forum and see that he nor anyone here at Dream Catcher Charters is gender specific in any recommendation.

To Further Serve his Clients.... Capt Hugh then checked with the office to see about availability for rescheduling.. We had Friday morning open. They verbally decided over the phone to reserve a boat for then in hopes of better weather, so we took a boat off line for them to reschedule..

Wednesday - They called to cancel the reservation for Friday due to bad weather (reminder- they supposedly wanted to go in the rain on tuesday).. This is NOT our policy and we kept their 20% deposit based on the confirmation cancellation policies plainly written. as we were not able to sell the boat they they reserved.. We told them that on Friday morning IF the weather was inclement, we would offer them the same cancellation policy as Tuesday.. Then, he threw a fit on the phone telling me all about how Tuesday went and what all was said ---- he did not know I was there for the whole conversation as I am every morning... Once I told him this, his story changed..

Friday - turned out to be the best day of weather we had in Key West for almost 8 days. IF they would have gone with our suggestions and stuck by their choices.. this would have all worked out. We are always in it for our clients..

After speaking with these people on the phone personally and being there to hear them complain about the weather that morning.. I see where this comes from.. No matter how hard we bend to try and make people happy ....... Well you know the rest..

NOTE: When a captain that makes his living taking you on the water and is standing there ready to go fishing - wants to cancel... CANCEL!

Thank you for posting this amazing review. We appreciate your comments - All Of them as it helps prospecting customers find the truth behind our excellent service here at Dream Catcher Charters..
Dallas, Texas
“Best Charter in Key West bar none!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have been fishing Key West for many years now, and since having come to find Dream Catcher, I will never fish with anyone else again. Every captain knows their craft, their spots, and their fish. Captain Tommy was great, taking out me and my mother, even was able to make HER have a great time, which is not easy on a fishing trip! Can't say enough about Captain Steve, put me on fish, taught me MANY things, and managed a 2/3 slam on the flats in less than ideal conditions. If you ever want to fish Key West flats,do not even bother calling anyone else. Professional, cater to YOUR fishing wants, top of the line equipment, and tons of fish...need I say more?

Visited May 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Fun Fishing with Captain Hugh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a great time fishing with Captain Hugh last week. Our first charter experience and I caught my first fish. Everything was great and exceeded my expectations. We hope to make it back again!

Visited May 2013