“AMAZING Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 85 attractions in Key West
Type: Gardens
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Come have fun with talking, laughing and dancing parrots. Artist and environmental activist Nancy Forrester has been rescuing abused and orphaned parrots for 25 years. Join us at 10 to 11 AM daily for Nancy's special presentaion "Parrot 101" or "Storytelling" where guests can take pictures of uncaged birds, hold them and ask questions. We gladly welcome families with children and animal lovers to the Secret Garden to interact with our endangered South & Central American macaws and other parrots. Open 10 to 3 daily. Self-guided visitors 11 to 3 PM. Educational material for each parrot is offered. Help inspire the birds by spending time with them. Bring a picnic lunch, play musical instruments, paint, write, sing, and dance. They love music and videos played on smart phones and ipods!
New York City, New York
“AMAZING Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

After reading multiple great reviews on Trip Advisor – visiting Nancy was a must on my Key West trip in July. It was by far one of my favorite things I did this past weekend.
Nancy is extremely welcoming and knowledgeable. My Dad is also a bird owner and truly enjoyed exchanging stories with her.
Her birds are absolutely beauties. They are gorgeous and some are quite friendly. Nancy shares lots of valuable tips for bird owners or future bird owners. As an aspiring photographer, I was able to get some very close detailed shots of her birds and that was very exciting for me.
Our visit was an amazing experience. Nancy’s dedication is absolutely inspiring. Please remember to give a donation to help in the rehabilitation of these animals.

Visited July 2013
Nancy F, Owner at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Darian D
Thank you taking the time to write a review.
I am grateful to you and Trip Advisor for bring us visitors who love birds. Yea! There are a lot of us and the numbers are growing. Exchanging stories with parrot owners is always the high point of the day for me. I learn from each and every one of you. It always amazes me that there is so much more to be learned when it comes to parrots.
Who has more fun here? Steve, me and our family of parrots or our visitors. It is debatable!
I love taking pictures of the birds myself and always try to assist our visitors in getting the shots they want!

“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I had a wonderful time! Nancy was very informative and inviting! Such a warm loving personality towards the birds and her guests! Can't wait to come back! On top of that we showed up last minute and she still took the time to host us properly thanks nancy!!!

Visited July 2013
Nancy F, Owner at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Emmygordon,
It is a good day, when all goes well I am able to greet everyone who comes to our little parrot jungle including those who arrive towards the end of the day. There are times when I am running late on my chores and I have to disappear inside to clean cages. My intention is to spend quality time with all the visitors. Fridays are the hardest for me because I have to cover all the bases by myself. It is Steves day off.
Looking forward to seeing you again!
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Nancy Forrester - "The Bird Whisperer"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family and I visited Ms. Nancy for over two hours! This wonderful lady is extremely knowledgeable about all species parrots! She gives you an up close and very personal look into the parrot world. Even letting you old the ones she has already rehabilitated! All of her feathered friends come from varied backgrounds to include abusive homes to people who have passed away leaving their bird homeless. She rehabilitates these birds and re-homes them if a suitable family comes forward seeking to add to their flock. AND she does all of this herself and works off of donations. Please go see for yourself how truly amazing this lady and her flock are. If you can, send a donation to help keep these beautiful, exotic and rare birds happy and healthy! There is only a $10.00 fee which is well worth it for the unlimited educational experience and time spent,
Visit her website at www.nancyforrestercom. You will be glad you did!!!
I know I will be back to visit and will help in every way possible.
Love and admiration to you Ms. Nancy

Visited July 2013
Nancy F, Owner at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Sheila,
Thank you for spending quality time with us and appreciating the educational value of my work.
I have enjoyed the companionship of parrots for twenty five years. I learn something new from them everyday. I love trading stories and getting new insight about parrot behavior from our visitors who have parrots. Parrots make bonds of love.
Parrot people bond to eachother with love as well! Looking forward to your return. Hope it is soon. Being called a bird whisperer is an honor.
Much love to you,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“Backyard bird sanctuary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Visiting well over a dozen macaws, parrots and conures tucked behind a home is a unique experience appropriate for families with school-age children and anyone even slightly interested in beautiful birds. Dress for hot weather in summer because it is outside, though shaded. Credit cards are accepted for the $10 admission price but bring cash if you can in case the owner is not available to run the card or the technology isn't cooperating- it's just easier for this small operation. Nearly every bird has a detailed information sheet telling his/her rescue story and personality details which allows for a self-guided tour, but we were glad we went at 10:00am when Nancy comes out to talk about the birds. We considered meeting her as interesting as seeing the birds! She is unbelievably knowledgeable about parrots and talked with us for about 90 minutes! We admired her passion and commitment to the birds.

Visited June 2013
Nancy F, Owner at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Mickey-Tigger
Like Tigger in Winnie the Pooh?

Key West is now hailed as a family oriented vacation place.
Thank you for encouraging visits from families with school age children. Thank you for mentioning bring cash because it is easier than credit card transactions. It is!
Also thank you for recommending my morning 10 AM presentation and the probability of self guided afternoons. Sometimes if there is a steady steam of visitors, my presentation extends to noon. In the afternoon I am not always available to see and talk to visitors. I have many parrot chores to do, such as indoor cage cleaning and shopping for bird supplies.
My passion and commitment grows.
My interest in parrots keeps me young and on my toes.
Plains, Pennsylvania
“Now I Know!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

While visiting our son Mark in Key West, he suggested going to see the Hyacinth Macaw. Nancy was a caring, informative person who took the time to explain her mission of taking care of these magnificent birds. She is a wealth of knowledge and an excellent orator. Giving of herself to preserve these loving creatures she can impact children and adults alike. Don't wait to visit her on your next visit. You will leave her Secret Garden a better person appreciating that she is contributing for future generations. Love and Peace Nancy.

Dear Mark and Mark's Mom

Thank you for seeing beyond their outer visual magnificence and calling the parrots "these loving creatures". That really sums it up!
I am truly grateful to be able to cuddle and exchange affection with many of the parrots here.
What a gift it is to earn their trust and begin to understand them as individuals.
Bigblue gets a lot of attention. It is well deserved because he is a gentle giant.
Thank you for visiting and bestowing love and peace.