“The most horrific experience ever” 1 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #17 of 325 Activities in Key West
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: For over 24 years we are Key West's premier boat tour and water sports operator. Our fleet of sailing catamarans, parasail vessels, and schooners offer a wide variety of tours and private excursions that are also an excellent value. We invented and perfected the tours that others seek to imitate. Get the best price for Key West's #1 tours when you book online.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
London
“The most horrific experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were on a snorkeling trip, for a couple of hours in this beautiful catamaran, called Marquesa if I'm not wrong.

7 miles of the coast we were told there was a coral reef where we could enjoying the beauty of it snorkeling. We had a extensive and good briefing before which indicated experienced and trained people.
Myself and 3 more people including my other half, were the first ones to jump into the water.
I was immediately pulled to under the catamaran, and managed to swim away, even though I've found the sea a bit rough.

No need to say that in less than 5 minutes I was taken by a strong current. After warning my partner, realizing we could never swim back to the boat we asked for help.
Meanwhile helping another person that was having difficulties.

The 1st member or the crew got to us that by luck got hold of a mooring buoy, and when tried to take one of us back, realized it was impossible and swam back to us.

Another member of the crew got to us, and again, could not swim back.

The captain had to move the catamaran in order to be able to send us a life raft (no engine) which took quite a long time, as we could not exactly explain what to do due to the distance and waves.

Finally we all got hold of the life raft, which was linked by a rope to the catamaran. Fortunately we were all fit enough to go against the string current with just the strength of our arms, that by now, mine were exhausted.

For my astonishment, when approaching I realized there was no ladder at the back, and the captain was pulling us up, by his hand.

At least...a portable ladder!!!!

Anyway, we all managed to get into the catamaran, where I started to get in shock.

I found it extremely strange, how is it possible no one have noticed the strong current we have, not actually tested the waters, and then not having appropriate rescue devices. Not to mention...a ladder!

I'm a keen swimmer, snorkeler and even scuba diver, never in my life jumped into waters that have not been checked beforehand.

Even... 90 miles south...in Cuba there's always someone to check currents and sea,before anyone else jumps in...and I re-enforce... places in question like Cuba, or even Egypt.

I was not expecting this from a company like this and in this country.

Visited November 2012
eywphm, Owner at Sebago Water Sports Day Tours, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
On rare occasions we may have currents that are unexpected at the reef. Approximately 6-7 weeks ago we had an afternoon with unusually strong currents whereby we needed to help back a few snorkelers that got behind the vessel. All snorkeling happens in front of the vessel from our large accessible stairway to the sea. We did relocate to another reef that had far less current and were able to enjoy the snorkel. The barrier reef that lies off of the Keys is approximately 5 miles offshore and is not a pool and should be respected. I have difficulty sorting the fact from fiction in this guests tome. Having to be rescued is not a pleasant experience. A keen swimmer would be able to make headway snorkeling with fins in a knot and a half of current, though those not comfortable in the water would have difficulty.

4 attraction reviews
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

The sunset cruise was fantastic. We had a group of family and friends (about 15 of us) that went out a few nights ago. The sunset was beautiful and Capt. Tim and crew Emily and Beth were all very accommodating. They all went out of their way to make sure everyone had a great time! I would highly recommend Sebago to anyone visiting KW.

“The perfect day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

On the power adventure, our family took sebago's catamaran for a day of snorkeling, parasailing , jet skiing and banana boating. And the food was a surprising treat: quiche, fried chicken, shrimp, fruit and lots of beer and wine. The crew could not have been friendlier. Yes, a perfect day!

8 attraction reviews
“Just the T'ing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My friend and I went on the Island T'ing adventure on Boxing Day. We have been recommending it ever since! The service, food and personable crew were second to none.
Even though the the sea didn't want to play ball, and the visibility was low whilst snorkeling, the comfort and camaraderie on-board was delightful. Top marks to Linnell (?) and Katie, our crew for the day. We sure learned a lot about mangroves thanks to Katie, a marine biologist who is passionate about the environment of the Keys.
We felt at all times that we were in the hands of professionals who got a kick out of the enjoyment we experienced, they sure seemed to love their job! Highly recommended!!!!

Visited December 2012
Rockville, Maryland
“Had a great time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this day trip (Power adventure). Food was great, the staff was friendly and helpful. We weren't that good of swimmers, but the staff helped us with all the activities except snorkeling. We were not able to do it but thats ok, the rest of the activities were pretty awesome. The parasailing pictures could have come out a little better, but I get that he is no professional photographer. But we thoroughly enjoyed everything. Jet ski, parasailing, kayaking, paddle boat, snorkeling all in one - can't go wrong. I would do this again.

Visited December 2012