“An Adorable Motel!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Spanish Gardens Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Spanish Gardens Motel
You added Spanish Gardens Motel to your Saves list
1325 Simonton Street, Key West, FL   |
Ranked #57 of 94 Key West B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“An Adorable Motel!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

First off I love Key West! I have been there twice... the first time I stayed at the Ocean Breeze Inn (which was adorable, but staff were so-so on the friendly scale) and then most recently I stayed at the Spanish Gardens Motel.
It is in a perfect little location (well to me anyways).... the walk to the end of Duval Street and to Mallory Square can be a little far for some people (realistically it only takes about 15-20 minutes-20 max), but for us we didnt mind since we like to stay active. It is right near the Southernmost point, and by a beach. At night it's away from all the noise and chaos so you can still get some rest (if you sleep that is! LOL).
What I loved about this place was when i originally booked it in january the guy I spoke with was super friendly on the phone. The day we arrived it was the same! The guy at the front desk noticed there were 3 of us girls so right away WITHOUT ASKING he gave us an extra hair dryer and a bunch of extra towels.
The day we checked out we were going sky diving and didnt want to bring all of our luggage with us so they kept it behind the front desk for us until we got back.
The room itself is cute, for three girls getting ready to go out it was convenient due to the bathroom and then an extra countertop with mirror outside of the bathroom.
The only two little cons I have (which are not deal breakers) are the pool (it's by the street so there is no privacy--but to be honest who goes to Key West to lounge by a pool...) and the bathroom is quite small.. the sink area and shower was fine but the toilet is so close to the wall that it makes it hard for tall people in there (I'm 6 feet tall so that was a bit awkward)..
again not a deal breaker..
I would recommend this place to anyone. It's a perfect budget motel and the service was exceptional!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Miami/Miramar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We didn't have a reservation and (luckily) found 2 rooms at this motel. They didn't jack-up the price & were super friendly. They even let us (4) stay in a room that only slept 3, at no extra charge. It's 1 block from Duval street & the Southermost Hotel; 2 blocks from the southermost point. Check-in & check-out was quick & easy. We asked for extra blankets & voila! Will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We didn't have much time to hunt around for location to stay when my son and his fiancee decided to get married in Key West a couple of months ago. They didn't realize that they'd selected St. Patrick's Day weekend, a super-busy time, and vacant, AFFORDABLE rooms were at a premium. Spanish Gardens was a pleasant surprise. At $189 per night, it wasn't a bargain (well, maybe for Key West), but it provided basic, clean accomodations in a superb location. We walked everywhere except the wedding at Smathers Beach, and Duval Street close to Spanish Gardens is pretty quiet and tame, perfect for grabbing a quiet drink and/or meal and then walking home. We ate breakfast a couple at times on the porch of the Cuban grocery next door...they offer a pretty fair breakfast. The pool was quiet and clean. Only problem we encountered was when one thoughtless guest parked his truck and boat in the driveway, blocking the entrance, and proceeded to use the pool hose to clean off the boat. We couldn't get in or out of the parking lot, and it was gratifying to see the woman from the front desk run out and tell him to move the boat!

The bathroom, although spotless with a great walk-in shower, was not pleasant because of the miniscule size and NO counter space (although there is a built-in vanity of sorts in the bedroom).If you're a sniffler like I am, bring your own box of Kleenex because they are not provided. If you need to get up early, you will also need to bring your own alarm. I found the front desk personnel to be pleasant and helpful. Our room had a new HD tv on the wall. Yes, $189 a night is pretty pricey if you're not used to tourist trap prices, but the location is tremendous and you won't be worrying about the nasties in the bathroom and under your bed!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012 via mobile

Just returned a few days ago with MDO from an extraordinary week at Spanish Gardens Motel! We found the place to be very clean, great location and an extremely helpful and kind staff. We were there in super high season so the price was pretty high but affordable. The staff was kind to us and very accommodating! I highly recommend this place as the location couldn't be any better. We drove down so we parked our car in front of our cute room, rented bikes across street and walked or rode our bikes to everywhere! Don't forget to stop by Ana's Cuban cafe across street for an incredible Cuban breakfast and coffee:-)

Stayed March 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012 via mobile

This places doesn't even deserves a star!! Is horrible! I never been so insulted in my life, I went with my family ( my husband and my 3 daughters) we are an earth friendly family we are simple but very respectful and educated family also we have a variety of nationalities background yeah we don't look American, but I don't think that a reson to be treated the way the lady at the front desk did, she call us horrible names even cursed at my teenage daughters!!!! I really don't understand how this people have a business, we came to key west to have a pleasant vacation with my family and we had a great time except for this episode! Never come to this place people are uneducated and unethical

• Stayed March 2012
Newport. Me 04953
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I always stay at the Gardens each time I visit Key West. The rooms are clean and bright. Being within walking distance to the Southernmost Beach and Duval Street, they make it very easy to take in the action Key West is famous for. My friends are always impressed with my choice.

Room Tip: the bright side is the pool side.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

If your into retro looking rooms, then this is your place. Rooms are super small. the bathroom is very small. Two of you can not be in there at the same time and you have to maneuver your way around to shut the door. There are no frills here. The bed spreads have been around since the 60's along with the t.v's. You might get lucky enough to have good neighbors who aren't into partying till all hours of the night but I doubt it. There is no staff there past 5p so your on your own if things go wrong. I'd say you get what you pay for but even at (and I'm low balling here) $100.00 a night you don't. There's other hotels that offer much more (including breakfast) at this price. It's definitely not a family motel and if you room up with another couple be prepared to for no privacy. It's a room with a bed. For us women, you put your make-up on sitting on the bed (bring your own mirror) there's no good lighting.

Room Tip: if your on vacation, go pay that extra $20.00 to stay at some where nice. Why not pamper yourself b...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Spanish Gardens Motel? Share your experiences!