“wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 97 Key West B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I just got back from Key West and my stay at Knowles House. It is wonderfully located with an easy walk to Duvall street and the Waterfront. It is a historic home and very typical of Key West ambiance. Our Room had a king size bed that was VERY comfortable, and I am very picky about bed comfort!!. The rooms were very clean and quiet. We heard no street noise during our stay. The entire staff at Knowles house is helpful, delightful and willing to do whatever it takes for us to have a great stay. The breakfast is simple and if you want anything more elaborate, there is a great bakery right next door. There is also a great sandwhich store and a good resturant right next door also. So, it is an easy stay. The back porch/patio sitting area is very comfortable and quiet and tropical feeling. The jacuzzi works well and is clean. There is a tiny pool big enough for just cooling off in. I suggest if you want to swim, try the larger size ocean at the end of the street. I did not go to the upstairs sitting area, but my husband said it was nice. I look foward to staying there again without hesitation. I felt at home and well taken care of. Thank you for a great stay. look foward to coming back again soon. Lisa.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

405 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I recently stayed here for a few nights based on the tripadvisor reviews. It was a very average experience at a B&B. With all of the options available in Key West, I would not stay here again. The owners seemed nice when we checked in. That was the only time we really saw them. The way the hot tub was explained on how to use it I felt like I was in a kindergarten class. The inn is ok. Older and musty smelling. The room was small but that's ok. The dresser after putting my clothes in the drawers and then going to wear them had a funky smell. I wish I had left my clothes in my suitcase but there wasn't a lot of room to do so. The bathroom had a hair in the bathtub and a couple hairs on the floor which skeeved me out. There were baby ants on the dresser and on the toilet seat. The bed, advertised as tempurpedic was mushy. Christina was very friendly. I saw her a couple of the mornings. The breakfast was ok. Typical breads, fruit, yogurt, cereal and juices. I grabbed a yogurt and banana and headed out most days. The roof top deck was cool but the spiral stairs were a bit much. I don't think most older people would try it. The outdoor shower was nice. Had shampoo, conditioner and soap. No hooks for towel or robe though. The location on Eaton St is very noisy. I would stay on a quieter street next time. There was an air conditioner in the room which helped with the noise level. Overall an ok experience. Many other places to stay that would be better I think in KW.

Room Tip: The rooms off of the pool area seemed larger then the upstairs rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
KWInnkeepers, Owner at Knowles House B&B, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
We were very sorry to read that you were disappointed in your stay with us. Christina, Paul & I try very hard to provide a wonderful experience for our guests. I am glad that you pointed out the little housekeeping glitches (the 3 hairs in the tub and on the floor of the bathroom), but I just wish that you had said something to us while you were here so that we could have corrected the housekeeper. Our housekeepers are very conscientious and work very hard, but there is always room for improvement, if we know there is a problem. As for the sugar or ghost ants, as they are called here, they are an insurmountable fact of life in sub-tropical Florida. They are tiny little specs of insect life that come into the house from their outside nests searching for food and water. 99.9 % of the time we are successful in keeping them out of the house and we can always get rid of them quickly when we discover them. Again, if you had just told us that this was a problem, we could have dealt with it. I am truly sorry that this marred your stay, because it didn't have to be that way. I can't really say much about the "mustiness" you complained about, since this is the only time in 16 years that anyone has said that and none of us who work at Knowles House has ever detected it. Nevertheless, rest assured, we will investigate. The mattress is a genuine, premium TempurPedic, which most people enjoy trying, if they do not already have one at home, but I guess memory-foam mattresses are just not for you. Atleast you know that now. Thanks for the suggestion about adding another hook in the outdoor shower. We have done it. Again, thank you for taking the time to write. Might I suggest that, in the future, when you have suggestions for improvements or encounter situations that you feel need to be corrected, instead of waiting until you get home, you tell the innkeeper right away. They will thank you for it and hopefully can remedy the issues so that you will have a better bed and breakfast experience, which is what we strive for. Please know that your comments have encouraged us to do better.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful bed and breakfast! Les, Paul, and Christina made us feel so welcome. It was like we were at home. They really believe in customer service! I will absolutely stay here every time I travel to Key West.

• Stayed October 2012
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Les, Paul, and Christina did a wonderful job of taking care of us on short notice and made us feel like we were home with friends. Helpful with all kinds of information and I had fun with Paul's sense of humor.
Knowles House is a quaint cute respite from the pace of Duval St where you feel like your coming home after being out.
Les and Paul have done a fantastic job paying attention to details that make a difference in your stay and we also had the opportunity to meet some fun and interesting other guests during our stay.
This was our first B & B experience and I would highly recommend Knowles House for a stay in Key West.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
KWInnkeepers, General Manager at Knowles House B&B, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
We are so glad your first B&B experience was in Key West and with us! I am so glad you called us when you arrived in Key West and we just happened to have one room left. Thank you for mentioning the little details. It's hard to think of everything when you're traveling. We work, live, eat & play here in Key West, so it is our absolute pleasure to tell you our favorite spots. We really enjoyed meeting you two and yes, you do have friends and a home in Key West.
Chesterfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Last week, we stayed at the Knowles House for four days. We immediately felt welcome upon arriving. Our room was delightfully decorated and comfortable. It is conveniently located so that we walked almost everywhere. In the evening, I felt like we were returning "home". Christina and Les gave us suggestions on what to see and were available for some fun conversations. Can't wait to go back. Daphne and Mario

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words. You two are are so great and we really enjoyed your amazing stories. We are so glad you felt like you were at home..that's our goal! To make you feel at home and yet a little pampered at the same time. So glad you enjoyed our unique decor in the Tropical Room and throughout the house & garden. Every room really does have it's own theme and unique charm. We are so glad you stayed and hope to see you again, soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We spent 3 nights at Knowles house in early Sept.(during Poker Run) What a great place!!!. Super friendly and engaging hostess -Christina rocked- always greeting us with a smile, sharing useful info, and setting up adventures on the cheap(while keeping our glasses full as well) I read some reviews prior to my stay and the only flaw cited was the breakfast- I disagree. It was great(even had gluten free)
Insider suggestion- stay in the pool side rooms-they are the quietest. And take Christina's advice, you will not be disappointed. We will return for sure!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
KWInnkeepers, Owner at Knowles House B&B, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
It was just such a pleasure having you with us. We are glad that our suggestions helped you enjoy our island paradise even more. We have more ideas on fun things to do -- you haven't done it all yet! Come back to see us soon so that we can keep the party going.
Qld, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were fortunate enough to be recommended Knowles House B&B by some friends who had stayed there a few years ago. It was a perfect place to stay at. Christina was very friendly and full of information about where to go & what to see in Key West, showing us on a map where everything was. We had a very nice comfortable room with a large ensuite and the little comforts (towels for the beach, shampoo, conditioner, make up removers etc) were a nice & very handy touch. We also enjoyed the breakfasts by the pool in the morning and a glass of wine/beer in the afternoon.
I would highly recommend this wonderful little B&B to anyone who wants to stay in Key West. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Key West and will be back one day (and stay at Knowles House, of course).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
KWInnkeepers, Owner at Knowles House B&B, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
We so enjoyed having you here. I am glad that we thought to provide some little extra things to make your stay more pleasant. We are always happy to get suggestions on what more we could do. Our goal is just to make sure that our guests enjoy their time in Key West. Please come back to see us again soon!

Been to Knowles House B&B? Share your experiences!