“Utterly charming and luxurious...” 5 of 5 stars

Southernmost House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1400 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #36 of 98 Key West B&B and Inns
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
“Utterly charming and luxurious...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

The Southernmost House in Key West is truly one of the most exceptional places I have ever been. The house itself is like something out of the Victorian era. It is immaculately maintainted and truly beautiful. The rooms are spacious and luxurious, with every amenity you can imagine. The staff are fantastic; from the people at the front desk, to the bartenders, to the cleaning staff...everyone went out of their way to make sure that we felt pampered and very well cared for during our stay. I stayed in the Lopez House, which is directly across the street from the main house. I had a beautiful suite, with an incredible ocean view from the porch outside my room. The suite was incredible, and larger than my apartment at home!

The pool area is spectacular. I had two full days in Key West, and couldn't bring myself to leave the pool either day (I guess I will have to leave the sightseeing for another trip!). The pool is situated between the main house and the ocean, so either way you look, the view is incredible.

I was able to make myself leave the pool in the evenings, which is when I really appreciated the prime location of the Southernmost House. Located at the end of Duval Street, it was a short walk to fantastic restaurants, art galleries, shops and bars. My car never left the parking lot - every place I wanted to visit was within easy walking distance.

I just can't recommend the Southernmost House highly enough. I had a wonderful vacation, and look forward to returning to this charming resort.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Clemmons, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

This was my first trip to the Keys and I didn't know what to expect. I had seen pictures of the house online, but pictures don't do this property justice. I found the history of the houses fascinating. Both houses were beautifully renovated and furnished. The pool was amazing as was the view. The staff was attentive and courteous, particularly the receptionists and poolside bartendars. Ask for a fruity yum yum drink poolside! I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

The only reason we would recommend this B&B is because of the relaxing atmosphere at the back of the house with the hammocks, the ocean, and the palms! No doubt about it, the house is beautiful, and the back of the house/pool, with it's views of the endless ocean, right from your hammock is the best part of the stay. The worst part of our stay was how obvious it was that the staff didn't care what guests thought about the place or their stay with them. We stayed in 103, a poolside cabana and we were happy to have that room, it opened right up to the pool. It was not part of the main house, but it was on the same grounds, and very convenient to the pool and those hammocks we loved.

Our room was not nearly as luxurious as we expected. If more attention were paid to the details of that room, it would have been perfect! The walls had nails/screws unused, that were painted right over, instead of being removed and touched up before painting. The blinds were fine, but needed a valance or treatments around the top, to hide the holes left behind from the previous set of shades, or even better to finish the "look." The curtain rod over the french doors that opened to the pool area, appeared to have been painted using the same flat paint as the walls - tan. All the room needed was some attention from owners & management...patch up the walls, a fresh coat of paint to brighten it up (perfect would be a rich shade of yellow which would offset the existing furniture nicely), finally some nice window treatments...that's it, and it would have been well worth it! The bath and shower were relatively cool, and the kitchenette and fridge were nice and very clean. But when inside the room it really did feel more like an apartment than a pool cabana at the most beautifully restored historic home in Key West.

Additionally, the pool itself probably needed repainted, the blue paint looked overly-faded, and the corners showed rust colored stains under the water level. But the water appeared clean and we enjoyed it once during our stay. The breakfast was basically coffee, tea, juice, & milk; bagels & breads for toasting; basic muffins and pastries; fruits; cereal; & yogurt.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
cgoldberg1229, General Manager at Southernmost House, responded to this review, September 12, 2010
Thank you for the review that was given to our Hotel and friendly staff on June 5th. We appreciated your comments about our friendly staff. That is certainly something we are known for and expect every day. Thank you for sharing detail on what you found to make your stay enjoyable. We are truly blessed with a great location, view and great people to deliver service day in and day out.

We also appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns about the house with us. I am happy to inform you that a change has occurred in the management and we are currently addressing the issues that you faced during your resent visit. It is our goal to have the Best, Most Elegant property in the market.

Once again, thank you for your input and kind words. We share all comments with our service teams to reward good service and to understand our opportunities for improvement.

Thanks again for your kind words.

The Southernmost House Team
Painesville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

My girlfriend and I celebrated my 40th birthday in October 2009 with our first vacation to Key West. We stayed at the Southernmost House, which exceeded our expectations. The room, with it's spectacular view of the ocean, was amazing. The staff were polite, helpful and professional - without being pretentious. We especially enjoyed the infinity pool and outdoor bar. On more than one occasion, we spent the entire day at the pool and hotel, leaving only for dinner. Our stay was incredible and we look forward to spending many more vacations at the Southernmost House for years to come!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

We were disappointed to discover on arrival that the room we booked was in the guest house across the street. The website refers to the Lopez House, but did not mention that it was the guest house and did not seem to feature any pictures of this somewhat less majestic residence. To enjoy the pool and the continental breakfast you have to go to the main house. Other than this, we enjoyed our stay and it was a beautiful location.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

You can't beat the style of this grand historic mansion. It is RIGHT on the ocean, which is incredible compared to the other places in Key West. Also, the place has been so amazingly restored you feel like royalty staying there. Fantastic pool and grounds and you can hear the waves lapping in the middle of the night. The room we reserved was near the front desk (they have a new check-in person, in response to a negative review I saw on here) and I did find it too noisy for my tastes. At first mention of concern the next morning, the person at the front desk offered to move us (they handeled the luggage) to a room we liked more. Our new room was wonderful. The beds there are like heaven. The service was fantastic and the attention to detail was appreciated. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

My wife & I greatly looked forward to our stay here but sadly were disappointed . We stayed 2 nights in the Truman Suite and thought we had reserved a great room . When we arrived the receptionist was on the phone and did not acknowledge us for 10 minutes . we then had to wait for our room and when we arrived the 2 seating chairs were badly stained , the tile floor was badly cracked in places and loose in others . The view from the room was Great but the NOISE from the street and other patrons staying at the house was bad . We were woken up one night at 4am with a fight outside and 5:30 am with people talking / smoking right outside our window ( they were on 2nd floor balcony smoking at 5:30am ) . I had to go ut and tell them our bed was right next to the window they were seated / talking by at 5:30 am . Sadly we will not return here ...

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Southernmost House? Share your experiences!