“I left my heart at Southernmost House!” 5 of 5 stars

Southernmost House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1400 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #45 of 94 Key West B&B and Inns
Savannah, GA
“I left my heart at Southernmost House!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I just spent 8 amazing days at this beautiful Victorian mansion and I cannot say enough about our time there. From the moment we walked in the door, we were at home! Being from Savannah, Georgia, we are very accustomed to the historic inns and bed and breakfast type accommodations. There is so much history that surrounds the Southernmost House and you can feel it throughout the home. We stayed in room 301 - which is a big room with a king bed and whirlpool tub in the bedroom - with a panoramic view of the pool and ocean that is just breathtaking! There is no other place in Key West that can compare to Southernmost House. My husband and I rented scooters during our stay on this island and rode all over Key West; there are some pretty mansions and guest houses but none that come close to this mansion. Situated on the Atlantic ocean (and I mean on the Atlantic Ocean) you have the best of everything available - beautiful pool, cabana area with poolside bar, lush grounds and the ocean! And, you are on the quiet end of Duval Street but so close to almost everything! There are many photos available on line but trust me - none of them do this place justice.

Now about the staff - one word sums it up - SUPERB!! From the Innkeeper (Nina) to the front desk staff - (Cassidy, Lindsey and Ted) - to the bartender, (Devin), it is evident that customer service is in the forefront of their minds. You couldn't ask for a more accommodating group of people. We truly felt like we were at home during our entire stay; always greeted by name and actually asked how everything was going with our stay. They were all so helpful with local tips on dining and events. I felt like I drove them all crazy before my arrival with questions but the entire staff was just so welcoming of my emails and phone calls.

The breakfast - I've read pros and cons on Trip Advisor but, come on people, it's a quick, FREE continental breakfast which we found to be so convenient and AFFORDABLE!! Yes, you can get a hot breakfast (and a very good one) elsewhere but some mornings we just wanted to run downstairs and grab a bagel, croissant and a cup of coffee. Nothing negative can be said about their offering for breakfast. And most mornings we took our breakfast out onto the expansive back veranda and had our morning coffee while enjoying that breathtaking view.

Southernmost House is a must do if you're planning a trip to Key West. We recommend it highly and cannot image a visit to this wonderful place without staying there! To the entire staff - Thanks so much for making our ten year anniversary trip so special. We will be back!!

Room Tip: If possible, ask for 201 with the balcony or the cottage - I think room 104. We stayed in room 301...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nina P, Manager at Southernmost House, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
We loved having you and your husband as guests at the Southernmost House! Guests, such as yourself, that truly appreciate the history of the house, the beauty of the surroundings and the effort that is put into ensuring every guest feels welcome, are a special pleasure for us.

Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to review the house and share your experience during your stay. We appreciate your tips to others about room selection & our breakfast offerings. We especially appreciate your comments about our staff.

We look forward to a return visit from you, sooner, rather than later!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Mastic, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I had a great time here. The house is located on the quiet end of Duval street with all the "fun" just blocks away. The place is beautiful and our room was perfect. The poolside view is amazing, making for relaxing afternoons and some interesting conversation at the poolside bar. The bartender and the girls at the front desk had great personalities, were fun and very helpful. The only shortcoming was the breakfast. There didn't seem to be any cooking facilities, so it was fruits and toast, but there is a place across the street where you can get a real breakfast for $10

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nina P, Manager at Southernmost House, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at the Southernmost House. We agree that the southernmost end of Duval Street is an ideal location. Thank you for choosing our Bed & Breakfast for your stay in Key West.

You are correct that we don't have full kitchen facilities. Our continental breakfast, which is included in our room rates, is brought in fresh daily from a local french pastry shop. We've added boiled eggs, quiche, cereal, oatmeal, and cheese to the pastry, bread and bagel selection. But, some folks still prefer a complete hot breakfast, which can be obtained directly across the street at the cafe for around $10.00.

I hope the next time you come to Key West, you will choose to stay with us again.
Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I were married on the beach in Key West 10 years ago and came back for our anniversary week. What a perfect trip! We stayed in the Truman Room with a private porch and a breathtaking view that will become a piece of your soul. Rarely do you stay in resorts where the reality is as beautiful as the pictures but SMH does just that! I cannot say enough about Nina Powers to truly reflect how wonderful she is! She and her staff are extremely kind and helpful, the Croissants de France breakfasts are divine and the serenity of the pool will lure you back day after day. We could not have asked for a better experience and we will be back...sooner than planned!

Room Tip: Go with an ocean view room...it is well worth the money!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Nina P, Manager at Southernmost House, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thank you so very much...for your kind words and your review of the Southernmost House. We loved having you and your husband as our guests, and we look forward to your next visit. No need to wait another 10 years. Come back again and again...anytime you are in Key West, we will welcome you with open arms. It is always such a pleasure to see someone truly enjoying the house and the time they spend here. It's, personally, what makes me enjoy my job so much.

We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a weekend at the Southernmost House in Key West. The historic B&B is located at the quiet end of Duval Street. The home is beautiful and the location is right on the ocean. Nina Powers and her staff were friendly, courteous and responded promptly to our every request. We would definitely go back on our next visit...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind comments about our staff and the Southernmost House. It was a pleasure having you as our guest. I hope you will visit us again the next time you are in Key West.
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I live on the SW coast of Florida. While old friends were in town, one mentioned that a road trip to Key West was on her bucket list. We couldn't pass up checking one off that ever so important Register, so we left the next morning! My husband decided to let us girls go alone on the adventure. Her "bucket list" plan was to just take off and make NO plans! Kind of scary for someone who likes to map out every detail of vacation. After a 5 hour drive we headed to the South end of Duval. Also known as the quieter end of the street. That was when we saw this majestic beautiful quaint home on the water. At first we weren't sure if it was a museum or a store however if it was a B&B, that was where we wanted to stay. The young lady at the reception desk was absolutely amazing and accommodating. We were given the facebook discount and informed of availability. The room on the 3rd floor was available as well as a suite at the Southernmost Guest House across the street. The suite was on the first floor with a kitchenette, family room and nice sized bathroom. We decided to stay at the Southernmost Guest House due to the spacious accommodations. We were also able to park right behind our room and still have a beautiful view of the beach. The cost of parking was normally $20 per night however the receptionist waved the fee for us. The use of the pool at the Southernmost House (now across the street) was open for us to use 24-7 and a wonderful breakfast buffet. I plan on also giving a review for the Southernmost Guest House but wanted to comment on the main home. We loved the décor and found the history fascinating. The hotel was built in the late 1800's and at one point was a Speak Easy. A bullet hole that was meant for Al Capone is still in the front window. I believe four of five Presidents also stayed at the Southernmost House. The hotel is walking distance to almost everything, especially a short walk to the Southernmost Point in the US. The facility is clean, customer service is superior and the waterfront property would be a fantastic romantic getaways or weddings. This elegant Boutique Hotel is where you can watch both the sunrise and the sunset. Highly recommend and now don't think I would stay anywhere else on future visits.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Steve K, Manager at Southernmost House, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for your positive remarks regarding your recent stay; makes our entire team proud that we were "able to exceed your expectations"! We have a great team who enjoys engaging with our guests and providing them memories they won't forget!

Thanks again for sharing your positive comments with everyone and we look forward to your return!

Area Manager
Steve Keup
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Southernmost House is located on the South side of Key West, at the end of Duval Street, between a small beach and the famous "Southernmost" buoy. It's in a very quite neighborhood, 10-15 min (walk) from the busier city center.

We stayed there for one night during Labor Day week end. The rooms are very spacious and nicely decorated. They all have a very high ceiling (at least 4 or 5 meters). The bed seemed a bit small for a king size and I found the mattress a bit soft in the middle but it was still comfortable. We didn't have an ocean view but we had access to the balcony and the ocean is literally 50 meters away. There is a bar in the garden and the pool is overlooking the ocean. There is also a small terrace with sun chairs even closer to the ocean (but it is not possible to swim however there is a beach 50 m away). The breakfast in the morning was "continental" and very copious (selection of bread, croissants, bagels, fruits, juices, cereal, pastries, jam, etc.).

The staff is very welcoming, helpful and willing to answer any questions. They reserved a table for us at "Louie's Backyard", a great nearby seafood restaurant, and gave us a few tips about the town (best beach, where to see the sun set, etc.). This is not a regular hotel but a sort or B&B/Inn so there is not 24/7 room service for those who are expecting it but the small size of the house, the staff and the location definitely made it a more personal and enjoyable experience

Room Tip: Choose a room with ocean view if available
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nina P, Manager at Southernmost House, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Southernmost House! We agree that it is ideally situated with one of the most beautiful views the island has to offer.

We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope that you will visit us again the next time you are in Key West. No need to wait to next Labor Day to stop in and say hello.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very nice bed and breakfast. The pool overlooks the ocean and is the best pool with a view on the island. This place is on the quiet end of Duval, and is a short walk to all of the action. Didn't really interact much with the innkeeper. Was a bit irritated to find out people can pay $15/day to come use the pool and it comes with a free drink! I stayed there for a week and didn't get one free drink! Seems a bit backwards. Was also irritated that people who weren't staying there ended up with the prime spots at the pool. Overall was nice, but somehow need to find ways to make the guests feel as special as those who come to use the pool.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nice B&B, and Nice Bed & Breakfast:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I had such a wonderful time getting to know your Mom and Dad, Carol and Leroy, so I regret that I didn't get to spend sufficient time with you and your husband. I am disppointed to learn that you missed out on the complimentary drink, and Hawaiin style buffet that we offered during your stay. I hope you did get a chance to see the fire dancers and hula dancers.

Our #1 priority is guest satisfaction, so I regret that we failed in meeting your expectations. I hope you will visit us again the next time you are in Key West. I will make a personal effort to be sure you enjoy all the benefits that we strive to offer our guests. It was a pleasure having you here with us. Please give my regards to your Mom and Dad.
Nina Powers, Innkeeper

Been to Southernmost House? Share your experiences!