“Completely gutted by fire on 10/9/2012” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Heartbreak Hotel

Heartbreak Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Heartbreak Hotel
You added Heartbreak Hotel to your Saves list
716 Duval St, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #86 of 92 Key West B&B and Inns
Key West, Florida
“Completely gutted by fire on 10/9/2012”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This place was completely gutted by fire on Oct. 9, 2012. Anbody that had reservations there for Fantasy Fest or Meeting of the Minds better start scrambling for alternative accommodations! I sincerely doubt that it will reopen soon if ever. The fire department did an unbelievable job of knocking this fire down quickly before it could spread to other nearby structures, but the art gallery in the front of the building looks like it took a pretty good hit as far as water damage goes. On the bright side, this unfortunate event will probably result in a much needed overhaul of the entire property.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

When we first got there my husband and I didn't think it was that bad. We figured we wouldn't be in the hotel enough for the room to be perfect. After one night I noticed bites on my stomach. The first thing that came to my mind were bed bugs. We did research and noticed a few spots on the mattress that indicated bed bugs. I over heard a guy in the next room talking about them and I asked him if he had seen any. He said yes and showed us the bites he had all over him! I decided I needed to go talk to the owner. Explained everything that happened and she said" yeah sounds like they are back". She was very nice and offered us a full refund. She really should not be aloud to keep that place open! Bed bugs are extremely hard to get ride of. There is a huge chance you will be bringing them home with you. Be careful.

• Stayed September 2012
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Initially I thought I was getting a great deal for $100 a night, WOW was I wrong !!! The chain-smoking manager was rude and clearly intoxicated. The place is dirty, dingy, smelled of mold and old stanky cigarettes. Normally I would have ran out but it was late night and everything else in town was booked which should have been a clue right there. I thought how bad could it be for 24hrs. ? The next morning WAY before check out time, I am still asleep, there is a knock at my door and it is the manager, Connie? demanding entrance to my room, I opened the door slightly to see what the heck was going on and she marches two prospective renters in while I am standing there in my under wear !!! NO KIDDING !! I was evicted for NO REASON and NO REFUND !!! Fast forward 12-24 hours later I was at the urgent care facility with half of my face swollen twice the size, the same side as I sleep on, the MD suggested it was some type of bug from dirty linen. I want to THROW UP even now just thinking about it !!! So, $100 for the DISGUSTING ROOM and $178. for the Urgent care visit and prescription meds. not to mention looking like the Elephant Man for a couple days. THIS PLACE IS HORRIBLE AND SHOULD BE TORN DOWN !!!! It is a flea infested cesspool !!! My recommendation/ rating??? ( Tripadvisor, please install a NEGATIVE rating system, Thank you !! )

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
cornelia g, Manager at Heartbreak Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
This is a personal grudge. Peter never stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel.
fayetteville. Pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I've stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel numerous times. It lines a driveway right off of Duval Street that leads to a compound of probably 12 units or so. The compound has a private pool, but we had friends living in the compound so we had use of the pool. The parking is very limited at the Hearbreak, so if you drive into town you may stay elsewhere. Most of the rooms do have the windows/louves locked or caulked shut, but even when they did open there was no view - just a brick wall. The first time i stayed at the Heartbreak the windows wouldn't close completely and there were vines from outside growing into the room. That was kinda exciting. I had a nightmare of these vines choking me on the first night!
I usually stayed for 3 days at a pop. All the reviews about the cleanliness, small shower, some bugs and noisy air should be heeded. It's not a luxury hotel, but it is what you make of it. The rooms I stayed in had an art deco appeal which I appreciated. I never felt "unsafe" staying there, but some of the people renting long term did seem like pirates? The Heartbreak is a favorite stop for Elvis impersonators. Once there were 5 of these guys staying there. They liked having their pictures taken while standing under the hotel sign (visible in picture). I've probably stayed there under 3 different managers, but always women and always dictatorial in style. There are rules to be followed, though I don't think the no smoking rule is enforced. But aside from that, the lady runs a tight ship! The Heartbreak has always been a one women show. The manager, as mentioned in other reviews, wears all the hats. She lives at the hotel. And once the $$$ passes from your hand to hers, it's hers!!! I haven't been to Key West for years. Jeb Bush was Governor during my last stay and he ordered a hurricane evacuation on my 2nd night. The manager said, by law, she could not rent during an evacuation order because the hotel had no back-up electrical generator. I asked for a one night refund. She gave me a one night rain check and said hit the road Jack. Probably the best thing going for the Hearbreak Hotel is it's location. It's an easy walk to the Southernmost Point, Turtle Crawls, Jackson Square, Truman Annex, Hemingway House and The Green Parrot. The Heartbreak isn't for everyone, for sure, but it does have a unique character and offers a flavor of Key West that just isn't readily available in other hotels. I'd stay there again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

my buddy from arizona booked this hotel. i thought, how bad could it be. for $99 a night. well i've traveled my whole life, and by far, this is the worst experience i have ever encountered. smelly rooms with bugs. windows leaked air with no screens. a miserable confrontational manager who tried to throw us out, a day early. no smoking, but the rooms reak. no locks inside to keep this idiot from stabbing you in your bed in the middle of the night. i am not a kid, i'm 53 and was not any problem, if you rent from this idiot, you deserve it. i warned you.. half the rooms are long term rentals to people who are one step away from homeless........need i say more.

Room Tip: most of the bed and breakfasts are great here. you;'ll spend alittle more money, but its worth i...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
WISCONSIN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

First off, I'd like to say I hate people who complain about hotels over little stupid things, vacation is usually what you make of it, if you want to have fun and enjoy yourself, then just do that and don't worry about the small things. BUT.....I have to be one of those people on this hotel, only because I feel sorry for anyone who has to go thru what my boyfriend and I did. We stayed here in the middle of november, 2010, just got home a few days ago. First off, the manager, Connie, seems to be really nice, ON THE PHONE, she will make you pay up front, DON'T DO IT! Maybe a downpayment till you see the room. The location is EXCELLANT!! We were in room 3, the windows can not be open, and to top that off, you can't even see out them, they are frosted louvers that are supposed to crank open, but they are caulked shut. So if you are closterfobic, you will really freak. We had no clue if it was morning, night, raining, sunny, it was like being in a box! And if there is a fire, don't plan on living thru it!! The room is cute and has potential, but it needs to be cleaned! Are sheets were dirty, shower was gross, and small, when I raised my arms to wash my hair, my elbows were touching the walls, which were gross. And to top it all off, there were little red bugs EVERYWHERE!! The first night we didn't notice them because we got in late, dropped our stuff, and left to go out, when we got back in, we just went to sleep. Once we noticed them, in the bed, on the counters, in the bathroom, we went and found another room, came back and asked for some of our money back because we paid for 4 days, and only stayed 2, she said absolutely not. I know they were bed bugs because I did research on them, after a couple days out of there, we started getting red itchy bumps, they swell up, and then turned into little water blisters, or whatever liquid was in there, but they popped, mine were mostly on my hands, and a couple in other spots. I will be reporting this place to the BBB, it should not even be open for business. If you have any questions, or need some ideas of elsewhere to stay, at the end of this review it will give you the options to send a message, I will gladly give you some other places to stay at, I would hate to see anybody else lose money to these people like we did. When I got home, I had to take all my clothes to the laundry mat because I didnt want them in my house or even in my washer and dryer, if you bring them bed bugs home, It says on a few websites it is very hard to get rid of them. PLEASE BE CAREFUL, DON'T STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Burlington, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

My girlfriend and I booked a room at this hotel for 4 nites. 11/6 to 11/9/2010. We left after 2 nites in the room! First of all the dark hallway you have to take to the room stunk of smoke even though there are no smoking signs up. ( I am a smoker but choose to go outside). The smoke seemed to be coming from the "managers" room. Got into the room and it is SMALL. The globe on the cieling fan was broke, ALL THE WINDOWS ARE CAULKED SHUT, the sheets on the bed were dirty with some sort of red splotches on them, it was disgusting. We booked the room cause we saw some fo the reveiws online that said the rooms weren't bad and worth the money. WRONG! The bathroom shower is so small, I didnt wash my legs for 2 days cause there was absolutely no room to bend down. After spotting more than numerous tiny red bugs crawling on the bed and walls and floor, we left the hotel and stayed at The Pier House the rest of our stay in Key West. We asked the "manager" to refund us some of our money and she refused. THAT IS WHY SHE CHARGES YOU FOR THE WHOLE STAY EVEN BEFORE YOU CHECK IN, CAUSE WHEN YOU GET THERE, YOU KNOW THE MISTAKE YOU HAVE MADE AND SHE ALREADY HAS YOUR MONEY! If you want to save some money and stay in an economical room is Key West, do your homework. DONT STAY AT THE HEARTBREAK HOTEL CAUSE LET ME TELL YOU, IT LIVES UP TO ITS NAME! I was just about to submit this and I saw there is a spot for pictures, my girlfriend took some and she is also going to post a review and I will make sure she includes them in her review.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Heartbreak Hotel? Share your experiences!