“The BEST single day excursion we have EVER done!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 303 Activities in Key West
Type: Boat Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Discover the eighth wonder of the world aboard the Yankee Freedom II Dry Tortugas National Park Ferry. Cruise in spacious comfort to Fort Jefferson Dry Tortugas National Park seventy miles southwest of Key West. Our veteran captain and friendly crew will take you to one of the most unique and spectacular national parks in the United States. Your trip includes breakfast, lunch, snorkel gear and guided tour of the largest brick structure in the United States.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Virginia
14 attraction reviews
“The BEST single day excursion we have EVER done!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

This was our favorite single day excursion in our lives, and we've been on a lot of them. I'm ready to get a job as a Park Ranger at Ft Jefferson, it is that cool a place. Great history, awesome snorkeling, and paradise on earth - like the prettiest tropical island you can imagine. LOVED it! Check out my pics. I will say that the one downside for some is the boat ride out. It can be a little rough at times, so take Dramamine accordingly if you need it. I'm a Senior Chief in the Navy, so of course I enjoyed the rockin' n' rollin', but a few of our fellow passengers got a little queesy. When you get to the Dry Tortugas, be sure to take in Ft Jefferson first, and learn about Samuel Mudd and the Lincoln conspirators, and then snorkle up at the north coaling pier ruins. The pilings are covered with coral, and you'll see everything from Angelfish to Barracuda swimming around. Totally awesome experience for the whole family, and if you are DOD, be sure to visit the ITT office at Sigsbee Annex to get your discounted tickets. Thanks again for a great day, Yankee Freedom staff! We'll definitely be back.

Colorado
“Still wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I have been out with Yankee Freedom many times over the last 20 years and they have never disappointed. Boat, crew, food and tour of the fort were just great, especially the tour guide, Michael.

Clifton Park
“Wonderful adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed our day trip! Even though someone on our boat had a medical emergency, I was very impressed with the speed to which the problem was addressed. The crew came almost immediately and then 2 park rangers also became involved. Everyone was very courteous.
The breakfast and lunch buffets were wonderful.
Would highly recommend this trip to anyone.

Windsor, Canada
“Fantastic Day at Dry Tortugas.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Great day for the Dry Tortugas. The crew were excellent. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable.Bring lots of sunscreen.It was worth the $165.00/person. Breakfast and Lunch were provided with the cost.Be prepared for a long day. 0715-5:30.

Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“Be sure to take the Dramamine!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I, along with my boyfriend and 2 of our friends all decided to do the day trip to Fort Jefferson and the Dry Tortugas aboard the Yankee Freedom. I read many reviews before the trip and was convinced this was the best excursion to do when staying in Key West.

Unfortunately, we were all disappointed by this trip. Let me explain though...this has nothing to do with the sevice and staff of the Yankee Freedom, but much to do with being unlucky with Mother Nature!

We went the first week in November and it was a sunny, warm day, but very windy and there was a stong current that the boat had to fight against for the majority of the 2 and a half hour trip out there. The staff had offered dramamine before we left the dock and I really wish now that I had taken them up on it. I used to get motion sickness quite a bit as a child, but as an adult I only get it in a mild form and I've been going on boats for years now and have been perfectly fine, so I thought I'd be fine. Boy, was I wrong! If you weren't securely hanging onto something, you would have been thrown across the boat like a ragdoll. With about an hour left of the trip, it got really bad...to the point where the staff was passing out barf bags like it was candy. Many of us, including my whole party had to crowd ourselves onto the back deck to get fresh air and try not to get sick. Many of us, including myself, failed! Many people were getting sick.....worst boat ride of my life!!!

But, of course, this is no fault of the staff and the Captain. They cannot control Mother Nature. They were all very nice and helpful. They provided breakfast for us when we boarded the boat in the morning and gave us a small lunch in the afternoon while we were at the island. You can also participate in a guided tour of the fort if you'd like.

Anyway, once we finally docked and got off that horrible boat, I had to go take a nap on the beach and relax for a bit in order to feel better. Once, I was feeling better, I was able to appreciate the beauty of the island....it was really gorgeous and I got some great pictures. The fort was interesting if you enjoy history. The beaches were supossed to have amazing snorkeling, but again Mother Nature denied us that! The wind and the current made for very poor visibilty.

I think this would have been an amazing trip had we had better weather. Not being able to snorkel really disappointed me and left us with a big gap of time that we had nothing to do, so we became kind of bored. For the price of this tour, I was expecting more...but again, you always take a gamble with Mother Nature and unfortunately, it didn't pay off for us! Better luck next time, I guess.