“Not a seafood restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #114 of 365 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Miami, Florida
“Not a seafood restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for dinner last Saturday night, hoping for seafood. Unfortunately, there was no significant seafood on the menu, however, the skirt steak was tender and well cooked, the Prime rib was a little more than medium temperature but very tasty with the Au Jus to moisten it up. The Commodore is in a great location, quirky decor, pleasant food at a reasonable price. Well worth a visit.

Visited December 2013

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Spent a few bucks but well worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

My husband and I spent a few days in Key West and stayed at the Galleon Resort on Front Street. We have never stayed this close to Duval Street so we were not aware of the restaurants by the waterfront. We thought we would give the Commodore a try and were pleasantly surprised at the good service and fine food. We actually ate there two nights in a row.

The first evening we had a very nice server named Melissa who served us yellowtail served in a sauce with shrimp and filet mignon kabobs. We started out with peel and eat shrimp, which were huge and delicious. Our dinners the first evening were well presented and offered with salad and fresh vegetables. My husband had a beer with dinner and our bill totaled $65 without the tip.

We went back the second evening because we wanted a steak and heard this was one of the better places to go. Let me just add that there is a downstairs and an upstairs to this restaurant. The downstairs is more casual and a little less expensive. The upstairs is more formal.
Anyhow, we were in Key West so casual is the dress and we ate downstairs.

The second evening the server was Sasha, who was right on the ball. We ordered peel and eat shrimp again and really delicious steak. I had a filet mignon and my husband ordered NY au Poivre. Both steaks were served with salad and fresh vegetables. You have the option of a baked potato or fries. My husband had one glass of wine with dinner and the bill was $91 without the tip.

There are many restaurants in Key West so it is really difficult to figure out where to go for a nice dinner. The Commodore Waterfront is definitely a winner and it you don't mind splurging a little, you will be very pleased with the food, service and atmosphere. Enjoy

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Diego
“Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I really end enjoyed the atmosphere inside, very clean. I ordered the special Prime Rib dinner, it was good but a bit small. The salad and potatoes were served on the same plate. Was disappointed in how small the salad was and no bread was served.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great Bar Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Watched NFL football here, staff was very nice and pleasant. Bar food was better than average. Will go back again.

Visited November 2013
Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Good Food, Short on Manners and Respect”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We dined here during the week of Nov. 17th. Upon entering the restaurant, the first words said to us were, "Do you have reservations'?..Not hello, not welcome, not anything, but..do you have reservations....3 times!!!!! We gave our name, and that person picked up menus, and proceeded to walk away. I asked, if we were to follow him. We heard a faint 'Yes". As we approached our table, I walked over to my chair, expecting the waiter to pull out my chair...No such luck! He stood there placing menus on the table, very, very slowly. This was the second strange act from this waiter, Guiseppe..Forgive my spelling of his name. We sat, and the first thing my husband said was "one more strange thing, and we are leaving". He returned, and never asked if we had any questions, nothing. Just a faint, "ready to order"? We placed our order, and had cocktails. I decided that I would try to turn this negative into a positive. It was like pulling teeth from a chicken's mouth, but we managed to get him to smile. Whew! It was similar to breaking through the Titanic! Whew again!. The food was good, and so was dessert. But we still had an uneasy feeling, something you should never feel when dinning. out. Forget feeling relaxed and welcomed here....
There is one reason to dine out....SERVICE and HOSPITALITY....There is NO HOSPITALITY IN THIS RESTAURANT. We did observe another waiter who appeared to be a little more hospitable to his guest, but not overwhelming...That's probably why the restaurant was practically empty. I think that there were only 5 occupied tables, including ours. That should have been our first clue! Food can come from any establishment that proclaims to be a restaurant..But this place is impersonating a restaurant, because food is all that you get here. If you don't mind feeling like you're dinning with your worst enemy, this place is for you!!!! IF YOU WANT TO FEEL WELCOMED,RELAXED, VALUED, RESPECTED, SPECIAL....STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THE COMMODORE WATERFRONT. If you'd like a TRUE DINNING EXPERIENCE, hop next door to A&B Lobster House..where you are treated like true royalty...I told our hotel concierge about our experience, and to be very careful about recommending this imposter to the hotel guest.....Shame on Commodore for impersonating a restaurant....Shame.....

• Visited November 2013