“Better than expected” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #78 of 94 Key West B&B and Inns
Denton
“Better than expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

After reading reviews here, we were not expecting much. Everyplace we looked was too expensive, this included, but we wanted to visit Key West and this looked about the best of the lot.

We drove up, were not impressed. Small office, pot-holed drive to rooms (not usable for cars, bikes and pedestrians only), past a small heated pool, to #12, our room. Opened the door to a room with one queen bed, table w/two chairs, minirefrig, large TV, and a large vanity w/sink and good lights. We had booked a room with two beds. I was just about to return to the office when I thought I had better go inside and really look at the room . . . wow! There was another big room on the other side of the vanity with a king bed, chair, and bath w/tub, shower. We had extra towels and soap, we just had to bring our own shampoo, which we do anyway.

Our rooms had two a/c units and several windows. It was clean and super quiet at night. We were one block off Duval and a couple of blocks from the Butterfly Conservatory and the Southernmost Hotel. The location was perfect.

We paid about $190/nt, which we thought was outrageous for a budget motel but there was absolutely nothing wrong with this motel.

We took photos . . . hope this helps.
Sandy (in Denton)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Trion, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed here in 2011. This place has a squarish layout. Your view is only of the other rooms. The rooms are small, but the bathroom in my room was rediculously tiny. I'm tall so I had to bend way down to even reach the sink. I actually had to stand outside the shower on a towell and lean in to wash my hair and upperbody because the shower head was so low. The beds were VERY dated and squeeked every time you twitched. The only coverings on the windows were blinds with big gaps so anyone could peek in if they were so inclined. They have lots of safety lighting so if light makes it hard for you to sleep then you're not going to like this place. The pool closes fairly early. They use old fashioned keys so they charge a key deposit. The parking was so terrible that an older couple next door pulled their Harleys into the courtyard beside their door and then woke everyone up the next morning when they left.
Well, the good...the room was clean. I heard people complaining about ants, but my room was fine. There was a full kitchen and the cabinets were loaded with anything you would need to cook something up. But the best thing I could say is that the Italian restaurant next door was absolutely amazing. I eat Italian everywhere I go and this place was a the best I have ever had. Maybe I got lucky with my choice, but it was fantastic.
On the whole, for $200 a night this place should have been much better. It would be a $35 per night kind of place anywhere else but Key West.

Room Tip: I would go around to where the rooms are before you check in and try to spot all the bright lights t...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Estes Park, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We pulled up and were quite surprised at the run-down first impression. The building is older, which is fine, windows did not look inviting, The lobby is tiny, but the staff knowledgeable and friendly. The courtyard isn't in the best condition, but it was isolated, featured a pool (which we did not have time to use), several chairs and tables, greenery.

Our room wasn't what I expected, which I suppose is my fault for assuming that 4 out of 5 photos would ensure I had a kitchen to help save dining costs. Mini Fridge was truly tiny, not even big enough to hold a to-go box. No microwave, no telephone (in this day of cell phones), comfortable bed, very clean tiles, very clean room. No windows for fresh air, so we used the air conditioner or fan for circulation.

All in all, it did turn out to be just what we needed. Well away from the hubbub of downtown, but only a 25 minute walk to the docks, the place was nice and quiet. We wouldn't have had time to cook anyway as we kept so busy. Just because it's not right downtown does in no way mean the location is inconvenient. Restaurants, bike rentals, entertainment, beach, all are nearby.

For the price and privacy, totally worth it. If you want more than just a room, this may not be for you.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask if your room has a kitchenette or not, if a kitchenette is what you desire.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Key Largo, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed here for Superboat weekend. Only 30 minute casual walk to pits and just one block off Duval. Clean, basic rooms perfect for economy stay. Bring your own shampoo and soap, but otherwise more than adequate for Key West landing spot.

• Stayed November 2012
Batavia, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I went here with a couple of buddies after reviewing online. $145 for two queen beds, not bad price considering every place on the Duval strip wanted $160 or more because of the fantasy fest. Looks dingy on the outside, but rest assured, the interior was excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

this was a great Motel. Very clean and the staff is friendly. I went during Gumbay and my frineds and I were litterally 3 blocks from the festival and 1 block from the Juncanu parade. The hotal is 1 block from the southern most point and the beach. The beach is not recomended for swiming but the bar and resturant are great.

Room Tip: If going to hang with the girls room 12 is the best! However, they only have one iron in the office...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bastrop, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is our first trip to Key West. We had lots we wanted to do here but had a limited budget (especially since we were driving from Texas and knew we had to have money for our return trip). We had considered staying at some of the places further away from Duvall street to save money. We are so glad we read about the Spindrift and tried it.
The location is perfect as it is just one block off of Duval Street. It looks like a place out of the 50's which we liked. Everyone we dealt with in the office was pleasant. Our bed was comfy, we had a mini fridge, the wireless access worked everyday and the room was very clean. The pool was crystal clear. We enjoyed it everyday were here. I was worried about "bugs" being an issue at any place we stayed as many of the places I read about had "bug" issues. We saw nary an ant or bug in our room.
If you want a very clean, affordable place to stay try the Spindrift. We will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Spindrift Motel? Share your experiences!