“Perfect budget friendly motel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spindrift Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Spindrift Motel
You added Spindrift Motel to your Saves list
1212 Simonton Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #78 of 92 Key West B&B and Inns
Bastrop, Texas
“Perfect budget friendly motel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is our first trip to Key West. We had lots we wanted to do here but had a limited budget (especially since we were driving from Texas and knew we had to have money for our return trip). We had considered staying at some of the places further away from Duvall street to save money. We are so glad we read about the Spindrift and tried it.
The location is perfect as it is just one block off of Duval Street. It looks like a place out of the 50's which we liked. Everyone we dealt with in the office was pleasant. Our bed was comfy, we had a mini fridge, the wireless access worked everyday and the room was very clean. The pool was crystal clear. We enjoyed it everyday were here. I was worried about "bugs" being an issue at any place we stayed as many of the places I read about had "bug" issues. We saw nary an ant or bug in our room.
If you want a very clean, affordable place to stay try the Spindrift. We will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Greenacres, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is the first time staying in Key West and this was the perfect little place for my dollar value. NO, it's not glamorous, perfect, and in no way CUTE but, it WAS clean, The pool was crystal clear, it had what we were looking for, a close place to Duval, a bed & private bathroom. Although I have never stayed at a motel that you had to buy your own ice but, hey it was only 25 cents per bucket. If your looking for glam, this is def not the place for you. I rather saved my $$ for the time I spent outdoors. :)

Room Tip: How much time are you reaaly spending in your room? We spent 4-5 hours. It's well worth it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is not a very fancy place but it is clean and is just a few blocks from Duval St. There's a great little breakfast place just around the corner. My boyfriend and I have stayed here for 2 years in a row. We take our bikes and can ride around key west from the motel. If you are looking for a 3 or 4 star hotel w fancy service, this is not the place. This is basically a clean and affordable place to rest and shower in between exploring Key West. This is our go to spot every year, no complains so far..

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I discovered this motel as I was looking for something closer to Duval Street in Key West. The location is great and very close to everything. However, the reception staff was unresponsive, not very friendly and did not have the decency to even look at me during the entire chekck in transaction. When I checked out the next day, he reprimanded me for leaving the key in the room rather than handing it to him personally. I would not recommend staying here unless you just need a bed and no service at all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I stayed a week in June 2012, the thing to remember about this motel is that it IS a motel, no fancy bells and whistles. If that's what you are looking for try the far more expensive hotels on the island.
My room was very basic, tiled floors, a refridgerator, double bed, a small but adequate bathroom, a well used drawer unit and small tube TV and that's it. Like I said, no fancy bells or whistles.
The pool area seemed decent, although I never took advantage of it (I was dying with a cold at the time!). They also have a soda machine near the pool which at the time was $1 for a bottle compared to up to $3 elsewhere.
The staff were friendly and helpful and allowed me to store my belongings for the final day due to my late flight home at no extra charge.
The location was good, a couple of blocks from Duval, about a 20-30 minute walk to the 'busy' end of Duval. Though if you have walking difficulties you may want to stay closer to the busy end. There is a restaurant nearby, Denny's is about ten minutes away as is a pizza joint and a CVS store.
Could I say anything bad about the place?, not really. I got exactly what I paid for, as per web site description.
Overall a good and cheap (by KW standrds) place to stay if you are on a budget and just want a place to lay your head at night. Just one word of warning, don't lock your key in the room at night, the staff go home in the evening, though they do have an emergency number to call.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Williamstown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I'm normally a "high speed internet", "room service", "more than 2 towels in the bathroom" sorta girl, so this was stepping outside of my comfort zone but with all that there is to see and do on Duval this place was ideal for sleeping, showering, and a dip in the pool (which really was lovely). The location was great, super convenient to duval by vespa scooter, and a really reasonably priced clean motel.

Room Tip: bring extra towels and if u prefer more than 1 pillow bring one. Bring hangers!! This place is a bar...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We arrived in KW without a place to stay, luckily we found this place. Kind of nervous at first sight, but we aced to see the room we were pleasantly surprised. Good stay for cheap.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends