“I Won't Stay Anywhere Else in Key West” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Key West Resort & Marina

You added The Westin Key West Resort & Marina to your Saves list
The Westin Key West Resort & Marina
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   245 Front Street, Key West, FL 33040 (Formerly Hilton Key West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Key West
miami
“I Won't Stay Anywhere Else in Key West”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have been to Key West various times. I have stayed in two other hotels which were very good, but the Westin is my favorite this is the third time we stay here. The rooms are clean, cold, and spacious. The difference between this trip and others is that we brought our dog. I never even knew the Westin was a pet friendly hotel. The pet friendly rooms seem to be on one side of the hotel which makes sense. Although we could hear other dogs barking as we walked down the hall we could not hear anything once inside our room. We had a great room facing the pool with a small balcony which was the perfect place to feed our dog. I am very picky about dog friendly hotels and how clean they are. Our room was spotless. There is no additional fee for bringing a dog, which is a definite plus! The staff is always friendly. The only small complaint I have is that when I made the reservation, I did so on the phone, since we were bringing a dog. I was told he would get a dog bed and bowl, and a few other amenities. When we arrived the front desk did not know we had a dog with us until I told them. We did not receive any of the amenities for the dog. The only one I really needed was the bowl. I asked for one at the front desk and we never had it brought up to our room. Other than that, our stay was fantastic.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at The Westin Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you and your furry pal enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you both back! All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

Marketing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

The room was mediocre at best. I have gotten rooms in Orlando for one quarter the price, and a way nicer room. Furthermore, a check in at 4 pm? What hotel in the world outside of Key West has this? That is absolutely unacceptable. On top of this, they charge you a resort fee... even if you don't use anything on the property. Furthermore, when I checked in I was absolutely exhausted. The Westin brand has made it a point in their chain to make sure guests are well taken care of and accounted for. As I was going to check in, a few hours before four, I explained that I had been driving for eight plus hours, and all the young lady at the desk could say was, "well you can park in the lot next to our building and take a nap." My partner came up with the idea of a couples' massage to pass the time, but they were all booked up for the day. We have previously stayed at the Hyatt and could not speak more praise of their amazing service. I ended up calling corporate and getting them to let us in a couple of hours early, even though twenty minutes before the young lady at the desk said "there were no rooms available, they have to be cleaned." They will offer to put you on a list, but don't expect anything from said list, it is a sham. It was absolutely the worst customer service I have ever experienced, and I will never if I have the ability to go back to this hotel or their brand again!

Room Tip: Dont get a room near the pool, choose one in a location closer to the marina.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. 4:00pm check-in is standard in the industry and resort charges are common. Orlando and Key West are different destinations as we are on an island versus a large central Florida city. When making a reservation, there is an option to request an early check-in. While an early check-in is not guaranteed, we do our very best to accommodate our guests requests. Early check-in depends on the level of occupancy the night before and the condition of the room from the previous guest. Your review is important to us as it provides us with valuable information we can review to improve on for the future. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

Laurel Springs, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We have stayed here 3 times and for the most part this Key West property is one of the top 3
resorts in Key West. It is well maintained and clean,the beds are heavenly, and it is in the best
location on the water at the end of Duval Street where the sunset celebrations happen. I always
enjoy staying here and after having a serious problem at another top resort, we were gratefully
able to move here at a very good nightly rate. The food in the restaurant Bistro 245 is good and
the drinks are also. Service is very good too, with Dave at the pool bar volunteering to get me iced tea and refills even before the bar opened, thank you to all the nice staff for your kindness and
cheerful service !
OK, here are the few things that bother me: first, the layout of the resort is odd, and I realize that
Westin bought this property from Hilton and can't change the layout, but it's odd nonetheless.
I guess due to limited space, they designed this hotel in 2 different areas which are not near each
other. It feels more like office space than a nicely landscaped resort. The lobby is a small affair, without a restroom,
up near the street and there are rooms in that building, but our ocean view room was about a
fifteen minute walk from the entrance to the hotel, and this can be wearing on a hot day. We were
in the Starwood Preferred Guest section, which had air conditioning in the halls and loud music
playing as you entered. The pool, restaurant, and bar area is way across a square in another building, which means that if you want to enjoy resort type facilities you have to walk across the same public square the cruise ship passengers walk en masse, and enter the other building area
just to swim. Most days, I trudged across the large public square feeling self conscious in my
bathing suit cover-up only to find that the pool was closed due to chemical treatment, etc. ( I
like an early morning swim) later in the day, the pool was too crowded for my tastes. Anyway,
the other negative is that the pool, the pool bar, and the pool restaurant are enclosed in a
central interior area, so you cannot see the ocean, the pier, or the lovely blue water from this
area. So, while my companion enjoyed the seclusion of the pool area, I was always climbing
up to the Sunset Viewing Deck to sit alone during the day so I could see the Marina and boats
and blue water. I feel I can always lay at a plain pool at home, but I can only witness this amazing
vista of the ocean/ Marina/Sunset Key when in Key West. It would be nice if the pool/bar area
looked out over this view. This may seem like I am nit picking, but this is something that makes
this resort feel slightly off to me, just missing being awesome because of the hotel's layout.
Next, giant cruise ships park at the hotel almost every day, blocking the view if you have upgraded
to a water view room. To be fair, this isn't the hotel's fault, and the ships eventually leave by 5PM,
so you do get to see sunset from your balcony. Also, it is interesting to watch all the activity when
these mammoth ships arrive and depart, so it's not a big negative after all, just something to be
aware of. The worst problem is when the 5000 cruise ship passengers depart the ship and invade the dividing courtyard between the 2 resort buildings. These people take over the area and it's best
to just get away until they have gone. One further problem was the bathroom in our upgraded SPG
room was the size of a tiny closet. You literally had to wedge yourself behind the toilet before you could shut the bathroom door, that is how small it was ! Also, the toilet paper roll was on some kind of breakaway holder, so no matter how gently you tried to take TP, the whole roll would
pop off the holder and roll behind the toilet, making for some annoying gymnastics in the middle of the night. ( again, a small thing, but by the 3rd day this was really tiresome)
The staff, as I said, is awesome, cheerful, and helpful. The parking valets were extra sweet, and
always gave us chilled water bottles upon arrival and return which is a great feature as you walk
long hallways to and from your room. One troubling staff related event I witnessed; however,
was when the pool bar (manager ?) who was around 38-40 stood right in front of us while we dined
at the pool bar area and groped the backside of a clearly teen-aged girl who appeared to be
either a guest or young staff member. He looked around to see if anyone was watching and had
the decency to look guilty when he realized we saw this. He was openly fraternizing with 2 very
young girls and it was troubling.
All in all, we like this resort and we know we are getting a consistently quality hotel stay. I would
say that we will probably be back because while not perfect, it's still one of the best hotels around
the Sunset Celebration area. Thank you, Westin Key West !

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the pool complex building, not the lobby building.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the resort location and staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Stayed at the Westin Key West over the weekend with my 86 year-old grandmother. From the welcoming to the "hope to see you agin," we enjoyed every minute of it! The staff at every corner of the hotel/resort was very friendly. The rooms were spacious & very nicely decorated.

Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the positive review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

The Westin is in a perfect position and is generally well equipped. The overall hotel facilities aren't quite up to the standard you would expect from this price range but you are paying for the ocean front. The pool view rooms are a bit disappointing so we would always pay for a sea view. The arrival of the cruise ships most days did spoil the view but we didn't mind too much as they always left by 5pm. Pool very hot and airless but there us nothing the hotel can do about this. Food OK but nothing special. Bar very average. This sounds pretty negative but as we have been coming back to this hotel for 5 years you can see we still rate it as best in Key West. .

Room Tip: Don't have a room near the laundry.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at The Westin Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you enjoy the location of our resort and we appreciate your business. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Love the Westin everything about it! The only thing I can say it would be even better if they put some music upstairs out Bar and some misters! Its very HOT in August that is when we stay there! Great service, Good Food..........

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at The Westin Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We spent a long weekend here and had a wonderful time. The oceanfront room was great - not only because of the view but because we could watch the action on Mallory Dock at sunset without having to be in the crowd. The sunset was beautiful. We ordered dinner and breakfast from room service. Delicious and quite reasonable in price. We had a few requests from room service and same were attended to expeditiously and with a friendly attitude.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and your ocean front room. It's nice to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Marketing Director

Been to The Westin Key West Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!