“Location, Location, Location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Key West Resort & Marina

You added The Westin Key West Resort & Marina to your Saves list
The Westin Key West Resort & Marina
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   245 Front Street, Key West, FL 33040 (Formerly Hilton Key West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #28 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Mississauga, Canada
“Location, Location, Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed one night at the Westin in Key west. Great location, close to everything and right down on the water. Close to the action at Mallory Square, great dining and drinking on Duval, and the magnificent sunsets. The restaurant at the Westin was excellent. We sat outside and had a great meal and people watched. The room was modern and extremely comfortable and clean. We also had a great view of the dock and the navy ships from around the world that were in participating in games.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SMKennedy, Marketing Manager at The Westin Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for your review. Glad you enjoyed yourself. All those Navy ships were so cool - what a treat you were here to see them!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Unfortunately, due to a delayed flight, we were only able to stay in Key West for less than 24 hours. But our time at the Westin was perfect! We made it JUST in time for the famous Key West sunset, right behind our hotel at the marina (which was just steps from our hotel room).

The options for entertainment, restaurants and bars near the hotel seemed endless. You can just stroll your way through the streets and have a great time! My husband and I ended completing a self designed little bar crawl...one drink at each stop. It was the perfect way to spend the little time we had.

The hotel room its self was clean and enjoyable...but if you have ever visited Key West you know that you won't be spending too much time indoors! I highly recommend this hotel mainly for its location and the friendly staff is just the icing on the cake.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
SMKennedy, Marketing Manager at The Westin Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you so much. We're glad you enjoyed your short stay and hope you return for a longer visit in the near future.
CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

I admit I am fairly loyal to Starwood Hotels. There is a certain expectation when staying at a Westin but this hotel falls very short of that. It is obvious they have a great location and that's why they have a high occupancy. They are not putting money into this hotel -- the pool chaise lounges are falling apart & the cushions are ripped, stained, basically worn out. The rooms are "bare bones." Beds are good enough. Towels are gray and old. No refrigerator -- even in the suite! The furniture was chosen for durability and has the feeling of an institution. Yuck. So, why are they NOT putting money back into this hotel??? --- they don't have to ... they have a great location, can ask whatever price they want and will get it. But I have a choice and will not stay here again until they make basic improvements.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your review. We're sorry you weren't completely happy with your stay. We have good news - all pool furniture is brand new as of this week! We do offer complimentary refrigerators upon request. We hope you reconsider and stay with us again.
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is an upscale hotel just a few steps off Duvall Street, the main drag, and close to some great attractions. . .the Customs House Museum is next door, the Truman Key West White House is just two-three blocks away, as is the "Audubon" House (it wasn't really his house, but he did stay there and the guides and staff are wonderful, the garden charming). The hotel's rooms are nice, service is commendable, but there are some inconveniences that might cause problems for those with limited mobility. The hotel parking ($20/day!) is in an adjacent parking garage. I was also attending a conference off-site and had to use my rental car every day so I chose to self-park rather than use the valet service. There is no way to get in or out of the parking garage without using the 4-5 steps that finally lead you into the main hotel and the elevators. If you have limited mobility, you'd have to use the valet service.
I had a nice room with a partial sea view in an annex requiring me to leave the main building and walk approx. 200 yards across a public commons. Once I took the elevator to the third floor, it was another long trek down a winding corridor to my room. In the room, I opened what I thought was the mini-fridge. It was apparently an old mini-bar, unstocked, with black mold growing inside. I called the desk, they apologized and brought a replacement mini-fridge up to my room. The pool was located in the garden area of my building, and it was a pleasant surprise to discover that it was a salt water pool. But don't think you'll get your laps in here. It was irregularly shaped and if there are even two or three other swimmers, you'll not be able to maneuver easily. This is also not a pool meant for children.
I ate most of my meals in other restaurants, but I did have a snack at the poolside cafe. . .don't order the conch fritters---deep-fried, breaded, rubber gaskets! When the waiter asked about my meal, I was candid but pleasant with him as I should have remembered conch is always this tough. He quite happily suggested I try the crab cakes instead which he brought me at no extra charge. The room service breakfast was nicely done, and the early casual dinner I had at the hotel's cafe (same kitchen as the poolside cafe) on the public promenade was nice. This is also a great spot to people watch, and in Key West that means you're likely to some really interesting characters and street entertainers. And did I mention the sunsets. . .and sunrises. . .and light afternoon showers. There's nothing like cloud-watching in Florida. . .spectacular!

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the pool, ask for the annex.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. Sounds like a mixed bag, but it seems that we rectified any problems for you as best we could.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My girlfriend (now fiance thanks to the help by the folks at this Westin) and I stayed for one night on September 16. The purpose of our one-day visit to Key West was for me to propose. Being frequent Key West visitors from Miami, my fiance and I always love experiencing new hotels. We usually stay at the Sheraton on S. Roosevelt (which is also very nice), but this time I wanted something closer to Duval, and being an SPG member, I wanted to fully utilize my member rewards. What can I say, this SPG property is breathtaking, and its location is amazing. Within a two minute walking distance is Mallory Square, which is a staple on our visits, all bars are within walking distance, and the shops and Marina behind the resort are lovely. I had contacted several people on the concierge team to set up my proposal to my now fiance. So before anything, I would love to thank and forever give my gratitude to the "CONCIERGE GIRLS." Svetlana, Monica, Becki, Jane, Christina, and Diana. THank you so much for helping me set up my reservations at Latitudes (feel free to read my review about this amazing restaurant) and for the complimentary strawberries and "bubbles" after the night was done. You guys are a HUGE reason why we will be going back to the Westin. The front desk staff was friendly and very helpful in providing me easy check in and a breathtaking room. Imagine waking up to a beautiful sunrise overlooking the water and watching in splendor as a cruise ship docks behind your hotel. It was fantastic. The front desk staff, especially SHANNON and DARRY, were a huge part in making it a wonderful stay. They both were vital in getting me to our dinner on time and making sure the room was ready early. Thank you both for going the extra mile. The room itself was great, the Westin prides themselves on their comforatble beds and sheets, and, I CAN ASSURE YOU, they are pretty much the most comfortable beds you will ever sleep (or whatever) on in any hotel you may stay in. The room is nicely decorated, the closet has ample spacing, the bathrooms were immaculate and the balcony was overlooking the pool and all of Key West's scenic water views. There just really are no words to describe what an amazing time we had at the Westin. From the Valet staff, to the front desk, to the concierge team, and to the housekeeping staff, the Westin is worth every penny. I want to thank all the staff for making this an unforgettable stay. I would hands down recommend this SPG property to anyone visiting the Conch Republic! The next time I stay at the Westin, I will definetly utilize the Spa, which I hear is the best!

Room Tip: They are all very nice rooms, just relax and enjoy the experience!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much and congrats!
Pembroke Pines, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I reserved two rooms for the weekend of the Poker Run that was scheduled September 14-16, 2012 at a rate of $350.00 for the ocean view room and $296.00 for the tradition room. I reserved one of the rooms for two couples that where traveling with me, and one for my boyfriend and me to spend a romantic weekend, since we were celebrating our anniversary.

At the time we checked in the agent informed me that I only had one room under my reservation. When I presented the agent with an email confirmation showing that I had two rooms, he then presided to inform me that they only had one room available (single room) and that they were sold out. Which I was later told by the manager “that was not true and that they were not sold out.” He then informed me he would be able to up-grade us to a two bedroom suit for the same rate that I was paying per night. This meant we would have to share a room with the other two couples and that one of us would have to sleep on a sofa bed.

After driving 4 1/2 hours we decided to go ahead and stay in the suit. I specifically asked the agent three times what would be my night rate for the room, each time he responded “the same rate you where paying per night $350.00 since they messed up our reservations”.
At check-out, they then informed me that we were being charge $700.00 per night, which was equivalent to $350.00 per night for two rooms. In fact this met they charged me more than my original reservation. This again is not what I was told at the time we checked in.

When I spoke to the front desk manager Alberto [--], and explained the issue he then told me to speak to the agent that check us in, and there was little to nothing he can do. When I spoke to the agent the story then changed again! He then told me “they were not sold out, that he simply wanted to keep the group together and at the time we checked in he did not have rooms together”. It was never my intentions to have rooms next to each other or even close to each other. I booked an oceanfront room for myself and a tradition room for the other couples; therefore impossible for the rooms to be next to each other. The agent misleads me and inconveniences me and my parties in order to sale more rooms.

What was supposed to be a romantic fun weekend for my boyfriend and I turned out to be a nightmare!!!

BEWARE!!!! The agents are misleading in oder to sell more rooms!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SMKennedy, Marketing Manager at The Westin Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your review. Since submission of this review, we determined the problem to be a communication error at the Front Desk. The guest was sent an apology for the inconvenience and the bill was adjusted the $296.10 per night, for two nights, plus taxes.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is a really nice property in the heart of Key West. When I pay that kind of money during the off season I expect a few little amenities. This is a classy place but they only have plastic beer cups in the room? for that kind of money you have to pay extra for parking? the pool was in a whole other building? Im not knocking this beautiful hotel (not resort) very clean very modern but they miss out on the little things.

Room Tip: no need to pay any extra for upgrades. pool view would be just as nice
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We pass along all reviews to all staff for training and improvement.

Been to The Westin Key West Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!