“a sleep boutique. . . quaint, quiet, comfortable, clean, classy” 5 of 5 stars

611 Truman Avenue, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #26 of 92 Key West B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
“a sleep boutique. . . quaint, quiet, comfortable, clean, classy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Truman Hotel is a gem in Key West. We worried because it wasn't a hotel chain but liked the reviews on Trip Advisor and took a chance; we are so glad we did. It is in pristine shape only being remodeled two years ago and it is maintained so well. It is half a block to Duval Street and easily located close to everywhere but not in the middle of the hub bub which allowed us to get in some peace and quiet while sleeping or just hanging out by the hotel pool. The hotel staff is super friendly and helped us find good restaurants, fun things to do and see. The cleaning staff was so friendly and kept our room in crisp, clean shape coming back in the evening for turn down services and leaving behind those cute little chocolates everyone loves to come back to after a day of sight seeing. The breakfast every morning was a nice little plus by the pool and we noticed all the guests staying there were very happy. We will probably go back soon.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Turkish first
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

First I should say I'm a bit of a type A personality. I love planning a vacation almost as much as going on vacation. Before selecting Truman Hotel as our home for three nights in Key West, I created a spreading listing the top 50 Inns and BB's on TA. I narrowed my search down by visiting each and every website and filling out my spreadsheet. I was looking for something that made me feel I was going to get my monies worth, something modern, nice pool area, continental breakfast, and it had to be in old town. After weeks of reading reviews, I settled on Truman.

The Truman Hotel was easy to find, check in was a breeze. As soon as we parked the car and unloaded the suitcases the sheer beauty of this property hit us. AMAZING!! It was like looking in a magazine but it was real life! We took out suitcases upstaris and opened our room, the room was a bit on the small side but beautiful.

The property was spotless. The employees work tirelessly to ensure everything was perfect. In a 4 day stay I'm pretty sure I didn't see a bug in the pool or a leaf out of place. The pool was warm and had jets at one end. It even had it's own lighted water show at night.

Breakfast was ok. It could be better, but it filled the void. It included coffee, tea, juice, pastries, bagels, toast, fruit and yogurt. The hotel is only a block or so from Duval Street. It was very quiet, especially being of a pretty busy road.

Any questions or concerns we had were quickly addressed by staff. They even suggested a local company for a water outing because they were having a 50% off special in March for ladies.

We were very sad to leave. We will definitely stay again! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone visiting Key West!!!

Room Tip: Book Early
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
conchdeb, General Manager at Truman Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
Thanks! We hope that you visit again soon. Your comments have reinforced our efforts to keep our guests happy. Our staff reads Trip Advisor too so they are glad to see the positive comments. Thanks again.
Boothwyn, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Overall our stay at the Truman hotel was good. The room was roomy, a/c worked very well to keep us cool, and free waters were a bonus. My only complaint would be the shower was huge, but the rain style shower head couldn't be moved so you only stood in a small area of the shower. Also, we were not given fresh soap, shampoo or lotion each day. One of the nicest things was the guide of restaurants and activities they give you at check in. It is a nice way to get acquainted with Key West. The location is walking distance to everything in Key West's old town, but is a good 10-15 min walk from the heart of Duval Street. Don't underestimate how tiring walking in the heat and humidity can be.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

This was a romantic get-away, and we checked in around 11pm shortly after arriving in Key-West. We were staying in a newly remodelled room, and it was beautiful. It was such a relief to find something at this rate considering where we were and how late we checked in. The rooms are designerriffic--you'll love it if you're picky or into interior design. It's right next to the main drag too. Awesome Awesome Awesome :)))

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
We work hard to take care of our guests and it is always a pleasure to read these wonderful comments. Thanks for taking the time to write down your comments. We appreciate your business.
Bristol, Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

The hotel is new and stylish and is very comfortable. It is relaxing just walking into the courtyard area, where there is seating, a pool, waterfall(s) and it is so peaceful in there, it is like an oasis in the middle of key west. The hotel surrounds the pool on almost 4 sides and it is very quiet in there. Not a party hotel and only saw 2 kids one day and they ate and left while I was eating breakfast.

The room was very quiet at night, did not hear any noises or roosters in the morning as I read on other reviews. Breakfast was free and delicious french pastries and muffins which is what I ate (other things I didn't eat) and had coffee. I had these almond pastries which were to die for! Sometimes things run out and you have to wait for them to refill it, but generally the staff is there to replenish the breakfast.

The location was in a quiet spot in the center (even though it is on the corner of a main road, it was very quiet in/at the hotel. It is a block away from Duval St. and a short walk to other points of interest and Zach Taylor State park beach (way better than smathers).

The maintenance man and the cleaning/breakfast workers were very nice and welcoming. I felt like I was a guest in their home. Two of the front desk workers were not that friendly and didn't make me feel welcomed, but they weren't rude or anything either. The other 2 that I met were very nice.

At night they come around with a night cap and bring you chocolates and free water bottles. It was just a nice touch that I enjoyed getting every night. The first night I called the office and said someone was trying to come in my room and he explained what that was.

I stayed in room 208 which had 2 double beds. It was small but had vaulted ceilings which made it feel bigger. Bathroom and shower area was nicely remodeled! I didn't like the bedspreads...they seemed to be out of date and one had a stain on it (although it was still clean).

I will definitely stay there again and have told all of my friends and family about the hotel. Many of them also saw me on the hotel webcam and thought that was neat!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is not a spring breaker (as I went during mid feb.) and who is a couple without kids, as it seems to be more for adults.

I am very picky and I enjoyed my 5 night stay there very much and will be back when I go to Key West!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for our 30th anniversary and we are so glad we did. We were in town for the food and wine festival and the location put us within easy walking distance to most of the events. We loved the festival and the hotel.

Our room was incredible. We had a living room with a sitting area and flat screen TV. The bedroom was roomy and the beds were quite comfortable. It was up on the third floor and off by itself. I am a light sleeper and I had no problems, even with busy Truman Street nearby.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They recommended some restaurants in the area that we had never tried before. Their advice was solid.

You never know what to expect when trying something new. We wanted something special for our 30th, and we were not disappointed. Add the Truman to our list of favorites.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
conchdeb, General Manager at Truman Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
We are always glad to be a part of the celebration! Thank you for your review!
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

Great value compared to many of the other hotels. My review title pretty much says it all. Only thing to fix would be the bed. Needed newer, firmer mattress. The one I had should be retired, but it wasn't bad enough for me to ask for a new room or keep me staying there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Truman Hotel? Share your experiences!