“GREAT Time :-)” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 92 Key West B&B and Inns
Miami Beach, Florida
“GREAT Time :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I took my BF to Key West for his Birthday and decided to stay at New Orleans House. The location is GREAT. Your near everything. The staff is very friendly and went out of their way to make sure he had a great Birthday. We got back to our room Sunday morning after going for a walk and there was a bottle of Champagne waiting. The room was VERY clean and towels Very fresh. There is plenty of parking and grounds are well maintained and clean. Thanks to New Orleans House and their Great Staff for making his Birthday Celebration such a Great time. :-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Johnstown, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had went on vacation in Key West from April 5th-10th. The room was nice and clean. I only had one issue, so I went to the front desk, and they fixed the problem right away. That's excellent service. Very nice staff, and I was treated very well. This was my second stay there, and would recommend to other people. I plan on staying there again in the near future. The staff in the Bourbon Street Pub was very nice, and excellent service. Thank You, and made my vacation go great. I stayed in room 11A.

DAN

• Stayed April 2013
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you Dan for your kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to write your review.

I'm looking forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Neil Chamberlain
Guest House Manager
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've been to Key West a few times and always stayed at a different property that recently went co-ed. I had no idea what I was missing. I was always told this place was run down and noisy and that kept me away but I'm so glad I tried it.

The location is the best. Right above the Bourbon Pub, which is where everyone ends up each night, The rooms are extremely nice, and very clean. The quilts were luxurious, we had feather pillows, and the bed had a bed scarf. Not the "dive" it was described to be. There was a light bulb out in the vanity when I arrived, I brought it to the attention of the manager and he came to the room and replaced it himself.

I can see why some people complain about the noise. I could hear some of the voices outside the room but since we were right in the middle of the party, we weren't in the room when it was busy outside. I was told there were quieter rooms but we didn't book early enough to get one. The room we had was fine for our needs. If we wanted a quiet vacation, we wouldn't have stayed in Key West in the first place.

One thing I do want to bring up are the rates. I read a few reviews complaining about the rates and the breakfast. I've stayed in Key West many times and since this place is in the best location, you would think it was one of the more expensive places in town. I paid less this trip than a did a year ago at the old place and I used to have to walk 7 or 8 blocks back to the hotel each night. For Key West, this place is very inexpensive.

The breakfast was exactly as described. It's a basic continental breakfast and that's all we needed. We actually overslept one morning and it was being put away as we got upstairs and the manager asked if we would like breakfast. When we told him we didn't realize how late we slept, he brought everything back out again. I've been to places where I've asked for coffee after breakfast hours and was actually told that breakfast ended 5 minutes before and i missed it. This was true customer service.

We have already booked a return trip and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you want to be in the middle of the gay scene and stay up late, this is a perfect place for you! This was my first time staying in Key West, and I had a wonderful experience at New Orleans House. Staff were all friendly & helpful, room was nice & clean. And locals even hang out at the downstairs club (Bourbon Street Pub) and the pool & bar out back, so you can pick their brains about what's happening while you're there. Locals were very nice & showed me around. All I did was chat with them, and they told me what was fun to do. I'll definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Remember that some rooms are above the club that stays open playing music until 4am, so ask them if...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The staff continues to make their guests feel right at home, and I love all the new improvements. No better place to stay if you want to be in the middle of the triangle! Regardless of the size of the crowd in the garden bar the night before, by the time I got up at 8 the next day, the pool and grounds were spotless. My compliments to the maintenance and housekeeping staff. Also, Hazel has added more great items to his grill menu so you can relax by the pool or at garden bar during the day without ever having to leave for lunch. Very convenient and very good food at reasonable prices. Thanks again Neil to you and your entire staff, as well as the great Bourbon Street bar staff, for another great vacation!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The location is great, and it is definitely party central for gay men. Had asked for a quieter room, as we had stayed there a number of years ago and had a room over the bar and the bed literally vibrated from the music which is cranked up until closing at 4am. The room we had this time around the back was only slightly quieter. The included breakfast was so pathetic that we opted to eat at a little place around the corner that had $4 breakfast specials. For the price, I expect a little more effort .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
NewOrleansHouse, Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank for your taking the time to write a review.

While we strive to make sure that every guest has the room that best fits their needs, sometimes there are circumstances beyond our control that make the perfect room unavailable. The most common issue we run into is guests not booking early enough. If you have a particular request (quiet room, room with two beds, room with a kitchen) I suggest booking a room at least 2 months in advance (3 months during our high season of January - April). The earlier you book, the more likely it is that we can provide that perfect room for you.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about the breakfast. Florida Law does not permit us to provide any foods that are not prepackaged and individually wrapped since we do not have a commercial kitchen. Nothing would please me more than to be able to provide a hot breakfast but we simply are not permitted. We can't even put out bread for toast unless the slices are wrapped individually due to the possibility of someone's hands contaminating the remainder of the bread.

We recently added fruit cups and upgraded our cereals to more "adult" versions such as Kashi, Granola, Smart Start, etc.

Please keep in mind that we are priced the lowest of all the male only properties in Key West and we have the best location. I know the rates may not seem low compared to other parts of the country, but we are the best value even though we have a prime location. Even with our rates the lowest, we still provide free cover both at the Bourbon Street Pub and the 801 across the street, continental breakfast and a free happy hour from 5:00 PM - 6:30 each evening. No other resort offers free cover, and not all of the resorts have a free breakfast.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your issues. We want every guest to be delighted with their stay and we are always willing to go the extra mile to ensure that our guests have the best time possible in Key West.

Neil Chamberlain
Guest House Manager
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed 2 nights on feb 15th-16th. We found it extremely expensive for the quality of the room we had. It's old ( the toilet clogged twice, the refrigerator was as noisy as the bar downstairs) and not so clean( ceiling fans were beyond dusty!). Their "continental breakfast" is basically empty food with a volume!

You can't be a light sleeper because of the noise from the bar downstair ( don't matter you were are in the hotel) is EXTREMELY loud between 10PM and 4AM, not mentioning the constant pulsing, throbbing noise in the entire room.

However, the staff was very nice and friendly.
We will not go there again, we'd rather sleep outside, at least it's cheaper!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
I am so sorry you didn't have the best experience. I know we spoke at check out but I would like to respond to your issues again here.

I would love to serve a hot breakfast but unfortunately, we are limited by Florida law as we have no place to put a commercial kitchen that would be required to have fresh foods. We are restricted to individually wrapped single serve items. I can't even put out a loaf of bread since due to the law as there is no way to protect it from people cross contaminating it. We do provide a large selection of healthy and sweetened cereals, two types of bagels, sweet pastries, yogurt, fruit cups and we even have Key West grown bananas when they are in season (they are not right now.) Many properties in town provide no breakfast whatsoever even though their rates are higher than ours.

As one added note, we have a restaurant right around the corner that has a $4 hot breakfast available for our guests. We would have been happy to recommend that had you mentioned this before check out.

There was an issue with the cleanliness in your room. I went in after you checked out and I agree it was not up to our standards. There were 3 items of trash behind the nightstand and the fan was dusty. The rest of the room was fine but those items should not have been missed. We have been extremely busy and the housekeeper rushed through your room. That is not acceptable. The housekeeper that serviced your room is no longer with us. I know this offers little consolation to you now but the matter has been addressed. I wish you had commented to us while you were staying here and we would have taken care of the matter immediately. There is nothing I can do to resolve a problem if the first indication we receive is as you are checking out.

Regarding noise, our advertising is clear that we are connected to a very popular nightclub. We also suggest that if people would like a quieter room that they can let us know and we can place them in a area of the hotel that is not as noisy. Perhaps when you booked the room, no other rooms were available? The earlier you make a reservation, the better the room selection will be.

Regarding the mechanical items that you mentioned, we have replaced some of our toilets with water saving toilets (which are actually required for all new hotels being built) and these are more susceptible to clogs. There is always someone available from 9AM - 4AM (when the office is closed, you can ask the manager on duty in the club for assistance as stated in the welcome book in each room) and each room has a plunger for those that do not wish to ask for assistance.

The refrigerator is a similar situation. Your room has a new energy efficient refrigerator and the compressors in these models run at a higher RPM than the old ones so they emit a higher pitch noise. Most people have the same noise at home but don't sleep in their kitchen so they don't notice it. Even though your refrigerator was on the other side of the room, it is in the same room you are sleeping in so unfortunately, you will hear it. Most guests prefer the convenience of having a refrigerator in the room so they accept the noise. We can always turn the refrigerator off if the noise is bothersome.

Since the only item within my control was the cleanliness, I did offer you a gift certificate for a future stay so that you can see a room in the condition that yours should have been. You refused and for that I am sorry. I don't want any guest to leave unhappy. I only wish you had brought these issues to our attention while you were still here so we could have corrected the ones that we could while you were still here.

I'm sorry you won't be staying with us but should you come to Key West again, please contact us and we would be happy to comp your cover charges at the club downstairs for the remainder of your visit.

Been to New Orleans House? Share your experiences!