“Great food!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Square One is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 362 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Square One
Transit: The Key West Bus Route stops one block away at The Gato Building next to the restaurant"s Simonton Street parking lot.
Description: The restaurant's New American cuisine features "chef driven" ethnic twists on classic recipes that combine innovative global flavors. the Square One team of chefs take many old world dishes and transforms them through luxury ingredients and contemporary gastronomy featuring significant creative use of seasonal produce, regional herbs, exotic spices, fresh colorful foods, interesting sauces and homemade condiments. An eclectic offering of fine boutique wines, craft beers and innovative cocktails complement the cuisine. Enjoy your Square One dining experience in their sophisticated, yet truly upbeat, Key West ambiance all while being expertly attended by professional, dedicated servers.Square One is open every evening for Dinner. FREE PARKING in our parking lot.
Orlando
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Great food and great service! Our waitress was a gem and really worked to make our dining experience fantastic. Definitely a place to try while in Key West. The owner stopped by our table to chat and was very friendly. The restaurant has been there for years but the new owner took over in January of this year and changed the menu. Plenty of food options. You won't be disappointed!

Visited October 2013
SquareOneKeyWest, Guest Relations Manager at Square One, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thanks for dining at Square One and for your vote of confidence. We hope you will return soon.

Key West, Florida
“Awesome service and awesome food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Last night we enjoyed a marvelous meal and even more marvelous service at Square One in Key West, FL. I ordered short ribs and my husband ordered seafood lasagna; both were delicious. Our waitress, Tara, was the best and by far the most helpful and enjoyable waitress that we've met in all of our travels. Even though it was our first time at Square One and our first time meeting Tara, we felt as though we were part of the Square One family. We will definitely be back and we hope that Tara will be our waitress!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
SquareOneKeyWest, Guest Relations Manager at Square One, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thanks for your wonderful review. Tara is a delightful member of our team and we are lucky to have
"stolen" her from her native Ireland. She is a kind spirit and always full of charm.

Brackney, Pennsylvania
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I decided to try out this restaurant last night in part because of the glowing reviews here on tripadvisor and because it was close to another restaurant in the same square that had been fantastic. We decided to eat outside so I can't really say anything as far as interior decor or quality of the bartender, etc. What I can say, however, is that our experience here was certainly less than stellar. After being seated and receiving drinks we began to discuss a few things about possible dinner choices with our waitress. Instead of answering our couple of questions with a friendly and helpful demeanor, our waitress was terse and pretty much delivered answers just short of accompanying eye rolling as if we were wasting her time. When asked about how intense the garlic flavor was in the garlic mashed potatoes, her helpful answer was "Well, there's definitely garlic in it...sooooooo". Now, I have had a few waitressing jobs, and I know when a place gets a tad busy or if it's the end of a long shift, the nerves can tend to get a bit frazzled and so if the place had been packed while we were there, I might have understood, but at the time, the place was nearly empty and it was only an hour into dinner service. So, having no way to gauge the potatoes, I inquired about a substitution for one of the other sides listed on the menu instead. I settled on the baked mac and cheese which she assured me would be no problem, but that there were be a sliiiight upcharge. I looked at the menu and saw that it was a one dollar difference if you were to order the mac and cheese a la carte so I agreed. While we waited, we were served a piece of rather hard, two day old tasting, french baguette by another server. Our dinners arrived...the steaks were well cooked and flavorful. The "side" of asparagus turned out to be three limp spears and the mashed potatoes that my friend did receive was a tiny amount. The mac and cheese was passable. Now, I don't need mammoth portions to feel I've gotten my money's worth, but I didn't think this was supposed to be one of those minimalist food places either. We did not see our waitress again after the initial obligatory "is the steak cooked well?" (place still not busy) until we got the check, though I did see her a few times standing at the seating podium doing nothing. Drinks could have been refreshed. After declining dessert and getting the bill,my eyes scanned down. 29 dollars for the steaks...and that "small upcharge" for the mac and cheese-5 dollars. 5 dollars for a substitution. If that had been explained to me beforehand, I would not have opted for it. Especially given the 1 dollar difference on the menu.

So, poor/rude service, so-so at best food, and a bit of a stuffy atmosphere which is out of character for The Keys. Atmosphere is nothing to write home about. Definitely not one of the better places to eat and I would not recommend it. There are far too many other wonderful and better priced options.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
SquareOneKeyWest, Guest Relations Manager at Square One, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thanks for sharing so much of your experience. The new Square One has received many glowing comments since our re-opening in March of 2013, but there are still some things that can be improved upon as readers may understand. Guests who are ever unhappy with their meal or presentation are kindly requested to bring it to the server's attention and it will be removed from the billed and/or prepared again.
We hope you'll return and provide us another opportunity to serve you.

Lake Placid, Florida
“Eh. Not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

First of all, service was funtastic from the bartender with pre dinner drinks, to the table server. Ordered some apps for the table and they were just so so. Nothing remarkable. Was recommended the hogfish which was very bland, over breaded, and over cooked. Nice wine selection and desserts again were ok. Nothing to write home about but OK

Visited October 2013
Thanks for your insight.

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Great steak !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We arrived early at Square One -5ish so too early for dinner. We were all very hungry so do we go elsewhere ??? No we were tempted with the 555 offer to keep us going and the other half took the car back to the house to take advantage of the $5 dink offers! So small plates on the go - Greek platter, chicken wings and mussels which were quickly eaten by the 3 year old! Next- to the main course we all chose the steaks - rare cooked to perfection. I couldn't eat all mine so in true style it was boxed up for lunch the next day. Managed to squeeze in a dessert to share - a chocolate torte which was fab. Lovely setting and a special mention to Jackie our waitress who was very patient with us all! Remember they don't serve dinner until 6pm but why not take advantage of the happy hour menu!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
We are grateful for you visit and sharing your experience. Jackie is a wonderful server and valued member of our team.