“It was ok...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Olivia by Duval

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Olivia by Duval
You added Olivia by Duval to your Saves list
511 Olivia Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #62 of 92 Key West B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tampa
“It was ok...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

We origionally were mis-quoted on the rate for Memorial Day weekend but they honored the price, which was nice. But they charged my credit card twice and I had to call 4 times to make sure I got my refund, which I did. We called the day before to ask if we could check in a little early. When we finally got there after a 6 hour drive, our Conch room was not ready, or so we thought. They actually decided to move us to a different room because from what I can tell cats and dogs were staying in the Conch room, literally. We got moved to the attic! Slanted ceilings and all with no separated bathroom (there was 4 girls in the room). We felt a little cheated. The carpet looked like it hadn't been vaccumed and the light in the hallway didn't work so it was completely dark going to our room at night. I guess it's hit or miss for some people but we won't be going back.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New Orleans, LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2007

My family (4 adults, 2 small kids) rented the 2Bd/2Ba Captains Suite which had an adequate amount of space for that many people though we did have a few issues. The decor is not great...kind of hodge podge, but I was disgusted by the dirty floors...it looked like they hadn't mopped in quite a while. If you went barefoot, your feet turned black in no time. Also, the front bedroom I was sleeping in smelled horribly like smoke in the morning. Apparently the air conditioner sucked it all in from the people smoking on the front porch. The hallway leading to this room smelled strongly of smoke all times of the day. Also, if you are planning on swimming know that the pool is also really tiny. The guy that checked us in was really nice though he never did give us that extra set of keys he would.

The price wasn't bad ($168/night) considering the space and the fact that the bedrooms were seperated and my fiancee and I could have a little privacy from the rest of the family. The location was great!! We didn't have a horrible experience or anything but I don't think we would stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The decor
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2007

Olivia by Duval was a great place to stay, located exactly ½ a block from Duval St. in Key West. For those unfamiliar with the area, Duval is the main street, where all the action happens and where the shops are. My fiancé and I stayed in a little room in the front of the hotel (which looked like a house) for an incredibly low rate ($69 per night). The room was a small bedroom with a sink and a bathroom attached to it… perfect for the price and the location was incredible. The pool in the back was great and the manager of the property was a very pleasant person, readily available and willing to answer questions about how to reach the property and the like. My only regret is that we didn’t book it for a longer period of time.

• Liked — Price, location
  • Disliked — nothing really, I got more than I paid for.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

Stayed in Key West several times on several budgets. Had rooms under 80 and well over 200, and Olivia is the best value by far!!!! The pool is private, with lots of trees around and becomes shaded in the afternoon, there are plants and trees, despite whatever else i have read. Usually stayed in the cuddy in the front, Not nicest looking hotel and water pressure was not the best, but room was more than an exceptional value for 89 bucks a night. To people who commented on 89 dollars being too much money, I would like to see what else they have found in Key West for less, and right in the heart of Duval. Every time we go back and stay anywhere else we always say the value was better at Olivia. Can't hear much because the window air conditioner is going so keep that in mind, but we also did not hear any loud people or other things because of this. Great place and value and we will be back.

• Liked — Value and pool
  • Disliked — water pressure
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

Last month I unexpectedly found myself in Key West for a long weekend. We had no time to book a room in advance, and just stopped at one of those roadside establishments that offer help in booking a room.
We were on a very tight budget, so the person reccomended Olivia by Duval, as they were inexpensive, but more importantly had an availablity for that weekend.

We stayed in a tiny room called the "Cubby". The room was fine. Not spacious by any means, but it had the basics, a bathroom, small fridge, sink, etc. There was nothing really dirty about the room, but it didn't strike me as really clean either, maybe this was due to it being generally a bit run down.

The pool out back was pretty lame. Not a single plant or tropical aspect to it, very barren. Literally it was a HUGE patio, with a tiny pool. Nothing inviting about it, at all. As a matter of fact we looked at the pool upon check in and never went back.

Another issue with Olivia, at least while we were there, was the extreme noise from other people staying there. There was this drunk couple who kept getting in fights, running up and down the steps, cussing, and she was throwing his stuff out on the front porch. Eventually one morning the cops came and arrested the guy as he was trying to deflate the tires on the car so she couldn't drive off and strand him there.

This probably was a sporadic incident, but the overall feeling Olivia was more of a drunk party, kinda trashy place. By the end of the trip we had nicknamed it "Drama by Duval".

The staff was fairly cold, as a matter of fact several times I was sitting on the front porch drinking morning coffee, and the guy who I assume was the owner would just walk past me to the back of the building, not even acknowleging me. Not a huge deal, as I don't expect to have my butt kissed, it was just a very different feeling than from other places I've stayed in Key West, which were very friendly.

On to the positive, which isn't much, but the location was great. Nice and close to Duval. And honestly the room was fine for someone looking for very modest accomodations.

I still would choose another place in Key West next time, as for just a few dollars more you can get alot more for your money, like breakfast, a nice pool, and friendly staff.

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cape Cod, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

We just returned after 8 days in florida - spending two nights here, two nights there, on night over there, and so on.
We ended up in Key West and wished we had more than two nights THERE!

The Olivia by Duvall is in a perfect location for those who want to be close to the action, but not too close.

A review that said just that was what got my interest and it was right on target.

The room we had was more expensive than most we spoke to. We were there on a monday and tuesday night, and are always on a tight budget, so this one was considered a splurge.

The room was large and opened up to a pool- it was the poolside suite- aparently it opens up to the room in the front, but in our case we only rented the one room. It was clean and bright. The pool is small but deep and perfect for a swim in the morning or afternoon between trips to Duval St or sight seeing. A group on spring break spent a lot of time by the pool during the day - and were out in the evenings.

The place exudes relaxation and we did not meet one unfriendly person! Even discussions with new friends about politics - with people on both sides particpating, ended up in smiles and laughter.

This is not a bed and breakfast, no breakfast served, but there are plenty of places within a short walk to handle that problem. And, the coffee maker, microwave, and fridge all worked just fine.

The only negative was the toilet is under an eave and I did clonk my head just once. And, the price was great, but we were a little interested in others who had prices that were so much lower than ours... of course they weren't in such a spacious room with a king bed that opened out to the pool......

We will go back more than once in the future. And I have already recommended it to others who will be traveling to the area in the near future!!

• Liked — clean-bright and location
  • Disliked — price compared to others
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Savannah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

So the jacuzzi didn't work and it took a half hour to fill for a bath and the pool was very small - we still loved our stay. We had the upstairs room overlooking the pool. Paid $140 per night which is cheap by Key West standards. Clean, and unbelievably convenient. 10 seconds from Duval St but quiet as could be except for the crowing roosters which have the run of Key West.
Parking is definitely a problem here and everywhere in Key Wesy. Bring your bikes, park your car and leave it.
Not all rooms looked as nice as ours, so I would ask for a room overlooking the pool or facinf the front of the house.

Stayed February 2007

Been to Olivia by Duval? Share your experiences!