“Creative cuisine....” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Hollywood, Florida
“Creative cuisine....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This cafe has delicious food. Do not think of it as only vegetarian though most of the dishes are.
The chefs are excellent and we have enjoyed all 5x we have eaten there. The location is super and the service is good as well.
There are two places in Key West we think are first rate and this is one of them.
Everything we have ordered has been super.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington, DC
“Very happy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I loved their selection of fresh juices!
The menu was wonderful even though none of my friends are vegetarians. The fish options were absolutely amazing.
We ordered 2 orders of the mahi mahi sandwich and a falafel. Everyone left raving about it!
My friend actually ended up buying one of the art pieces of a rooster hanging on the wall.

This place is excellent and I highly recommend it!
The service was excellent as well.

Redlands, California
“Unusual Blend of Home Cooking with a Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

At first blush this restaurant is uninteresting: "The Cafe," how unoriginal and boring can a name for a restaurant be? But you look at the sign and it looks Van Goghish, with big lush carrots and carrot tops jumping out of a blue background. That is emblematic of the menu as well.

We got the baked brown sugar acorn squash stuffed with curried Israeli couscous, red quinoa, zucchini, dried cranberries and pine nuts over sauteed spinach. I don't think I've ever seen acorn squash, and not much in the way of any squash at all, in a restaurant. It is the kind of thing you would make at home. It was our first time eating red quinoa (we've since bought some and made it at home). This was a good meat and potatoes kind of dish in a vegetarian genre, nothing real fancy, just good basic, good-for-you food.

We also ordered stuffed red peppers with vegetarian sausage, brown rice, eggplants, onion, portabella mushroom with parmesan cheese, marinara and grilled asparagus. Again, I don't think I'd ever seen stuffed peppers in a restaurant (until a recent trip to Bosnia), but my mother and wife cook them occasionally. These were a little more exotic than what we make at home, with the eggplant, portabella mushroom and vegetarian sausage. The marinara tasted home-made and the veggie sausage added some nice meaty flavor. Again, a good tasting, pretty good for you dish.

The falafel pita with three bean salad was probably the best thing we had. It was a very large pita with marinated salad (cucumber, tomato, onion, parsley), hummus, tahini, pesto and several chunks of falafel that can be dry, but all dripping out the sides, so nicely wet and moist and flavorful. The three bean salad tasted home-made, not store-bought.

I am eating mostly vegan, for health purposes, and it was a hard transition away from a meat-loaded diet. That is why we picked this restaurant. This was great, as we good pretty good for you food, a little fancier than what we would normally make at home, but tasting very home-made.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Delightfully surprised by flavorful seafood.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband claimed this place to have the best fish sandwich on the island. The side salad that came with his sandwich was not your ordinary greens. It was full of various lettuces with sprouts on top and a fabulous
homemade dressing on the side.
The staff was very aware of any dietary needs varying the meal if need be.
Don't miss this place.

Key West, Florida
“Vegan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Let's just start by saying I am not Vegan, I love vegetables but I'm not one of " those" crazy vegetarian people that I don't understand. My sister in law is and I have great respect for that.She was before it was trendy and will be forever. I've lived here 10 years and only heard about this Cafe but why would I go there?? well I found out why. This place was amazing, It's clean, so lets just put that out there. That means a lot to me and I'm sure a lot of others as well. Walking in I notice they wash their windows. Clean windows clean kitchen. we were waited on immediately even tho others were there and it was busy our waitress was extremely attentive to us.My sister in law asked a lot of questions because it's a serious matter to her. She gets right down to the enzymes and I haven't got a clue. She was like a kid in a candy store and I'm glad for that because there's not enough vegan selections out there.My dinner was "to the moon" Great. Stuffed portabello mushroom and a side of truffel fries. I was in heaven. Couldn't finish it so our girl wrapped it up for us. Oh..sister in law had pizza...she says she never can get a real vegan pizza. My company has left but I will be going to The Cafe and introduce some of my friends to their goodness as well. It's just another great little secret here in Key west.