“Great service and cute cats” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fleming Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Fleming Bed & Breakfast
You added Fleming Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
823 Fleming Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #68 of 94 Key West B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Great service and cute cats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My daughter and I just got back from Key West where we spent a couple of days. We stayed at the Fleming B & B and it was a fantastic place. We had a nice room right off the pool on the main floor. It is a lovely old home just walking distance from Duval Street and all the fun places. The front desk staff is extremely helpful with things to do and places to go, Joshua recommend that we go to the Bistro at the Weston to watch the sunset..........he was so right!!!! If you have never watched a sunset that far south, make sure it is on your bucket list!! He also said to take the Old Towne Trolly tour, which we did and well worth the money. Javier also was kind enough to introduce us to the "cats" at the hotel. We had one cat come in and out of our room, part of the charm of Key West. I would like to go and stay there again when next we go to the Keys,.
Javier also gave me a call when we had left to let me know I had left my Kobo there, but he would be kind enough to bring it to Canada (where I live) since he would be visiting the capital this summer!!!!! I was just around the corner at the little health food store down the street, which I would recomment also, so I told him I would come back and pick it up.

Room Tip: Next time I would take one on the upper floors, "overlooking" the pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Oceanside, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Here's the thing. It all depends on the room you are given.
I arrived and was given room 114. It was terrible. Very small, very noisy. I could hear the people upstairs clunking around, I could hear all the street noise, even thought the window didn't open. I could hear the guests next door opening and closing their door and there is also an exit door that is very loud when opened and closed. The view from the window was a side yard or the street. I felt that people could look right in on us all the time. The decor was dated. The windows did not open so I could not get any fresh air. The air conditioner at times, was very loud. The bed was not comfortable. The shower pressure was a joke. There was a hugh tub but I didn't use it. So since I was staying 8 nights, I just had to ask for a new room.

Then I was given room 307. What a difference. The windows opened. The door opened onto a beautiful porch with a table and two chairs over looking the street. The bed was comfy. There was no noise for anywhere, except a little from the street on garbage day. The decor is very calm and classy. There is a mini fridge and a coffee pot. The shower pressure was great. It was a wonderful room.

I can tell you that room 308 has no balcony and was small. Also room 302 was very, very small. They all had the nice decor. They were in the same building as my room, 307.

The two other rooms near 114, were probably out dated and loud, like my room. There was a room next door to me and then one upstairs. I'm guessing the one upstairs wasn't as loud.

There are lots of rooms that have balcony's (almost all shared) that look out onto the common area's around the pool. I would say they are probably the best of the rooms. You would not have street noise. However if you are on the lower floors, you might have noise for the higher floors.

The common area's are very nice and relaxing. There are really 3 pools total and one large hot tub. The hot tub is super hot. I loved the temp. however the surface of the tub is very bumpy. It was uncomfortable to sit on. I brought a small hand towel to sit on every time I went to the hot tub. The pool next to the hot tub is very warm. I love warm water. The other pools had cooler water.

There is a happy hour every evening from 6 to 7:30. They put out cheap wine and squares of cheddar type cheese. It's nice enough. The wine is drinkable. I did not like the cheese but my hubby did.

The breakfast is basically all unhealthy carb options. They do put out some low cal yogurt and some so so apples and oranges. The coffee is abundant but very week.

The location is fantastic. You can walk to Duval street, the harbor and the square. The beach is a drive or bike ride away.

There is no parking. You can try and find a place to park on the street, but it is difficult. There is a pay parking lot pretty close by.

All in all I would recommend the place for a couple of nights, as long as you didn't get room 114 or one near it. Even the small rooms would be ok for a night or two, like room 308 or 302. But if you were staying any longer then make sure you get a bigger room and one facing the common area/pool.

The staff is nice and helpful. Dawson was Awesome. Ha ha that rhymes! Ask him for restaurant advice.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are better. Upper floors are better. Stay far away from room 114 or a room n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Forestville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Found this place by searching the internet, and decided to take a chance, since it was offering such (relatively) good rates. What a find! Gated, secure facility with quirky, yet comfortable rooms, very friendly staff, good breakfast. They have two pools (one about 90 degrees) and a huge built in hot tub, and bicycle rentals at below market rates. And it's walking distance from the wharf (great food) and Duvall St. (drinks, shops, historical attractions, water activities, sunsets, and much more).
This place is a gem. It will definitely be my first choice on my next visit to Key Ewst!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sartell, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I spent one night here in early March. It's hard to know what we were renting but we were pleasantly surprised. It is about 4-5 blocks off of the center of Duval Street. It was an easy walk and far enough away to be very quiet and peaceful. The guys at the check-in were very helpful and gave us some great tips. The bed was comfortable and the wi-fi and TV were great. Our only complaint was the lack of water pressure in the shower. There was an awesome 2 headed shower and a jetted tub next to it but the lack of pressure made a non-factor. The water literally trickled out of the shower heads. However, that was the ONLY issue we had. The bed was comfortable, the room was VERY clean and the breakfast was adequate.
TIPS: If you have never been to Key West, take advantage of the bikes that can be rented. Everyone seems to travel on bikes or scooters and honestly, the bikes work great.

Room Tip: All of the rooms looked really good and they all had plenty of spots just to hang out and enjoy the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Philly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Great location 2 blocks from Duval Street with all bars, restaurants, shopping and attractions right outside but without the noise. Very secure, gated hotel grounds. Very cool set up, with porches and sun decks galore, all wrapped around the hotel grounds and pool area in a garden feel. Has 2 small pools and a huge hot tub.

Staff is very nice, friendly and helpful.

There are a few parking spots in the street you might be lucky enough to snag. Otherwise parking can be a problem. If you just take a cab here, you shouldnt need a car at all.

A different feel than a hotel. The place makes you feel like you are a wealthy resident of key west. And its an inexpensive option (since its a B&B you'll notice the room taxes are 1/2 less in addition to the much lower rates as compared with similarly located hotels).

No children allowed. GREAT RULE IF YOU DONT HAVE KIDS!

Free wine and cheese every night from 6-7:30.

Try it out, but note the potential issue with your car.

• Stayed March 2013
Mount Dora, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I agree with the other reviews - Couldn't have been better. BEST VALUE for the money, complimentary wine and cheese in the evening, continental breakfast in he morning. Close to everything. CLEAN and comfortable and very nice, friendly staff! I will stay there again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place was great & close to everything. It has the charm of an older home but my room was updated with a huge walk-in shower. And, the grounds are so beautiful that I seriously considered spending the day relaxing by the pool(s) instead of seeing the city. The pictures online don't do it justice.

Unfortunately, I didn't get there in time to partake in the wine & cheese happy hour, but I loved having breakfast (fruit, yogurt, cereal, bagels & muffins) by the pool in the morning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Fleming Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!