“Safety first” 4 of 5 stars

Manchester
24 attraction reviews
“Safety first”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Really appreciated that the sea plane company had the curtosey to postpone and reschedule due to high winds. Un fortunately, the winds continued and we we unable to take this trip. I would advise booking for the first day of your holiday and then you can reschedule for subsequent days in case of inclement weather. well managed company, but disappointed about he weather, however, fully appreciate safety first. Thank you

Sparks, Nevada
17 attraction reviews
“Air vs. Sea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

If you go from Key West to Dry Tortugas National Park, which is predominantly water, It might be worth it to reserve a half day seat on the seaplane trip (8am, 10am, noon and 2pm) rather than take the ferry. The seaplane costs $280 per person, but it gets you there in 45 minutes and flies low enough that you can see dolphins and shipwrecks, etc. The ferry is cheaper but it takes almost 2 hours each way and once you get to the fort you are there ALL DAY. The fort is very interesting. Park rangers are helpful and informative, The exhibits, gift shop and trails are excellent. There are beautiful beaches for snorkeling and plenty of picnic spots. If you go by seaplane you should have exactly the right amount of time there. Check out Dry Tortugas website for links to reserve, and don't wait until you are down there because it fills up. If you go by ferry, it is also advisable to book that online in advance. The ferry provides breakfast on the way, and lunch while you are at the fort. For anyone who gets seasick, the ferry ride can be rough. Unless the weather is bad in the morning, they will go out as scheduled. That means that if the sea turns rough, you will be riding back through it, and a lot of folks on the ferry had mal de mer big time. The only over-nighting at Dry Tortugas is for people who have camping permits. It would be roughing it, so do your homework.
TAKE BUG REPELLANT!!!!!!!

Visited January 2014
Hilton Head, South Carolina
6 attraction reviews
“Great historical site with excellent snorkeling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

My wife and daughters, 16 and 12, took the Yankee Freedom ferry to Fort Jefferson. Upon arrival, we went on the narrated fort tour and really enjoyed the great information that was shared with us. Afterward, we took to the beach for some snorkeling. Contrary to what I have read in other reviews, I thought that the snorkeling was fantastic. I have snorkeled throughout the Caribbean and Florida Keys many times over the past decade or so and this was one of my favorite spots. The pilings near the main dock allow you to swim through massive schools of bait fish on the way to weaving your way through a grid of wooden poles where I saw barracuda, parrot fish and even a large wahoo once near the edge of the piling network where the water was deeper.

After that, I went to the smaller beach where I swam by myself around the corner to the other set of pilings where the water was more turbulent but patience while swimming through the shallow water allowed me to see the largest, most beautiful parrot fish that I had other seen. There were lots of coral formations attached to the pilings. I definitely had to be patient and take my time picking my way through the area but it was well worth the effort.

All said, we had a great time.

Visited June 2013
8 attraction reviews
“A great day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We went via boat which was a great relaxing ride. About 2 1/2 hours each way. Bring plenty of sunscreen. Contintental breakfast and lunch is provided. The snorkling was not as good as we had expected. Never say anything except a few fish until we went along the wall. Alot of corals and fish here. We should have started there. The history of the fort is interesting. A full day. Glad we went.

“An awesome day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

This is a must for each of our visits to Key West. Although the 2 1/2 hr boat ride is long, it's well worth it and part of the trip experience. We saw numerous sea turtles long the way. Ships crew provided a great breakfast and excellent lunch. Historic fort is fascinating to tour and the beach was incredible. My family snorkels and really enjoyed it. We are very pleased with this excursion and highly recommend it