“Good place for budget conscious travelers” 4 of 5 stars

El Patio Motel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   800 Washington Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #77 of 94 Key West B&B and Inns
Cleveland
“Good place for budget conscious travelers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

We spent 9 nights at the El Patio Motel (built in the late 1940's). The gardens and exterior are well kept. Improvements need to be made in the rooms (lighting, electrical outlets, bathroom fixtures- Excellent shower head!) The room we stayed in was clean and the beds were comfortable. Motorcycles outside our room were a bit noisy, although they weren't there every day. The pool water was still cold, so we didn't use it. The roof patio was very nice.
The walk to Mallory square was further away than we thought it would be. The closest beach was at the southern most end of Key West - beach chairs were available for $5.
A bit of a walk to find places to eat. The Staff was very friendly and accommodating.
All in all, for the budget conscience traveler who isn't looking for luxury and doesn't mind walking (rental bicycles available ) this is an ideal place to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Crossville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Husband and I stayed at the El Patio for a full week and enjoyed every minute of it. Key West accomodations are simply not cheap anywhere, but this place was clean, friendly and very close to Duval without being right on it. The price was competitive to most anything in the US, which translates into a steal in Key West.

The room has a fridge which we stocked with juices and breakfast items from a local grocery market. The patio was AWESOME and we sat up there to eat our freshly steamed Key West pink shrimp and drink a glass of wine.

Aubrey, (who works at the counter), is extremely nice and helped us with advice and directions. She also works part time at the wooden Schooner "Appledore" and got us reservations on that sunset cruise. The maintenance manager was also friendly about advice about a bicycle trip to Stock Island.

All in all, a nice place and we will definitely stay there again next year.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Hudson Valley, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

I am a voluntary minimalist by nature, so El Patio fit my personal lifestyle. It is old and funky (in a good way), with a sort of 1950s charm. Not fancy. A little rundown. But the staff was friendly and helpful, and the owners gave us a break on the in-house bike rental (recommended) rates, as well as the room rate (maybe because our room, No. 7, was NOT so great -- blocked view of patio, right across from housekeeping's supply closet, drippy bathtub spiggot))... I'd recommend getting an upstairs room ... because the noise of people coming in an out is very easy to hear through the louvers (as opposed to solid doors and windows). Also, the roof deck is a terrific place to hang out. We met people from England, Germany and ... Michigan!
The location was great for us -- quiet neighborhood away from the hustle bustle of mallory square and upper Duval. And only three or four blocks from Higgs Beach, which is terrific.
They didn't tell us up front (and there was no printed info in our room), but they have beach towels they will lend you for the beach or pool, a hair dryer you can borrow, coffee makers ... but see? it's a MINIMALIST, no-frills kind of operation.
I wouldn't change much except the dang noise factor. (Especially sleeping on the patio side -- doors slamming at all hours, and people chatting away and laughing. Bring earplugs.)
Bottom line: I'd go back to El Patio, making sure I saw the room before I paid for the reserved nights. And I'd bring earplugs.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Victoria, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a four-night stay at the El Patio Motel, we were there from Feb 1st through the 5th, and had a marvelous time.

If your looking for a place to stay that features flat screen TV’s, 900 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, mini bars, valet & concierge service and Jacuzzi tubs you should probably look for somewhere else to stay while visiting Key West.

But if you’re after a friendly, funky, comfortable, clean place with a great location and with a really decent price you should continue reading on.

From the time we made our reservation to the time we checked out the staff at the El Patio were very helpful and friendly. The main living area of our room was fair sized about the size of an average two bed hotel room, the bathroom was tiny but functional and everything was very clean upon our arrival and the daily maid service did a fine job through out our stay. The grounds of the El Patio are also very well maintained, there is a fair sized swimming pool, and on the roof of building there is a huge patio, it was a great place to sit and relax during the evening before turning in, its is obvious that the owners take a lot of pride in their little motel.

The location of this motel is terrific about a 4 minute walk to the beach and about a 6 minute walk to the Eastern end of Duvall street, and about 20-25 minutes or so to the Western end, however the best way we found to get around was by bicycle which are available for rent directly from the El Patio’s front desk.

We had a great stay at the El Patio, and will definitely be staying there again next time we visit Key West.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

I just spent three wonderful, refreshing days and nights in Key West at El Patio. I'm a loyal and grateful Tripadvisor user and was a little nervous about booking at this inn because of a few bad reviews and the fact that you have to commit the money 72 hours before. I'm a frugal traveler and don't need or want any of the frills associated with high-end resorts and hotels. Based on price and the overwhelming number of positive reviews, I booked a room. I'm here to report that if you're looking for a quiet, comfortable, clean retreat in Key West, this is the place for you. Some might describe the look as dated or plain. Others could just as easily call it retro-tropical art deco. Either way what you get is a clean oasis near enough to the old town/heart of the tourist area, but off the main roads enough to avoid the traffic noise. There is a secluded and clean pool area with plenty of nice lounging space. A jungle-like courtyard in the center of the main building is a nice place to enjoy the shade and read. The roof top deck serves as a spacious, private sunning spot in the day time or a great place to have late night drinks and watch the stars. I had a problem with the shower head the first day, I reported it to the front desk and it was fixed right away. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. Special shout out to Sarah and Aubrey for their suggestions and help during my stay. Some of the older reviews can be misleading. I was asking for direction to the place from a local and she turned up her nose and said she thought the place was rundown and not very nice. Needless to say I was concerned, especially since I was commited to staying there. Take it from me, she was wrong. I enjoyed my time in Key West and staying at El Patio was a big part of that. Go, stay, relax, refresh, tell them John sent you. P.S. Bikes are available for rent and are a great way to get about town. Town is very bike friendly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I paid a non-refundable deposit of one night's stay to this hotel. When I arrived, they tried to get me to pay for the remaining three nights without seeing the room. I refused to do this, so they gave me the key. We took one look at the room and couldn't bring ourselves to stay the night there. The room had no window, the bedding had been washed but was ancient so did not look clean. The bath had a ring of dirt on it. We left, lost the deposit, and stayed at the Blue Marlin, which was lovely. The proprietor of El Patio was quite vicious with us, which is highly unusual in Florida, as the customer service is normally second to none. Altogether - it wasn't a nice experience, so I thought I would post a review and spare anyone else the horror of El Patio motel!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Magdalenapie, Manager at El Patio Motel, responded to this review, June 4, 2011
Wow!
I don't have any rooms with no windows... this person appears to be unfair, unrealistic, and inaccurate in attempting to describe our room. Please research before booking your room, and if you require four stars, book four stars! Only you as the guest, knows what your needs and expectations are, and we try to be very accurate in our representation.
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

We stayed here for 10 nights. The rooms were a little small and the bathroom was tiny, but how important is that when you are in key west? We used the room to sleep/relax and bath. Otherwise we were on the beach (5 min walk from motel) or on Duval St (8 min walk from motel) The pool area is lovely, the pool is smallish, but perfect for an afternoon to relax (either in the sun or shade) The price was cheapest on the island and excellent value! It didnt seem like the cheapest hotel thats for sure. We had an amazing time on key west (although food and drinks in Duval are overpriced) and this motel provided the perfect base for us. There is a lovely roof terrece which we star gazed from late night after the bars. No noise from other guests, and it is expected that you all repsect each other as the motel is tiny - this was no problem and we did make some noise in the pool area playing games during the day, no one complained (previous reviews suggested that the managment moaned when they were in the pool, we had no trouble and my dad can be a bit loud when hes loosing lol) Great motel for the price and location - defo want to go back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to El Patio Motel? Share your experiences!