“Cheap place to stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 98 Key West B&B and Inns
Syracuse, New York
“Cheap place to stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

I thank god I only stayed two nights. Our room was dirty, the maid must have never swept the floor and the shower had soap scum all over the walls. We also had ants all over the room, the shower, on the bed and all over the walls. The only reason for staying at the el patio was cause my plane ticket was cheaper if I stayed later. The condo I was in was already booked and I couldn't stay two more days. The staff at the el patio are rude and nasty. When we asked if we could put our luggage somewhere cause we didn't have a car and no where to stay the guy yelled and said people don't leave till 11, I don't know what to tell you. I will never stay there again. VERY DIRTY!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013

383 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We have slept all over the place in KW. El Patio (the Patio for non-Spanish speakers) is our favorite. The prices are fantastic and the managers have always been friendly and helpful.

Hemingway knows...this isn't a fancy hotel, but it doesn't run $300 or more per night. El Patio is a throw back to the better days in KW...jalousie windows and terrazzo floors, set in a quiet neighborhood near to some dandy breakfast nooks.

Taxis or pedicabs are readily available to take you into the thumping heart of Old Town.

I don't mind spending some coin in KW, but I can't see blowing my wad on a fancy dancy hotel room that I will rarely see...or remember the next day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Temple Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Had an excellent stay at El Patio while in Key West. Fantastic area to walk around and takes no time at all to walk to beaches or Duval Street. Staff was excellent (great communication), as were the grounds. Room was nice with just two minor issues (tiny ants randomly found in the room......but we are in an outside room in Florida. Room floor needed to be wet-cleaned.....bare feet got pretty dirty). Both of those were not that big of a deal to us. The hotel is older but well maintained, don't expect a luxury resort or hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mobile, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The room is surprisingly large. Plenty of room to spread out. It is very clean and on a quiet street. It is conveniently located near the water, Duval street, pretty much everything! We easily biked and walked to many local attractions from our motel. (Lighthouse, Hemingway House, Southernmost point, Butterfly Conservatory). We enjoyed the rooftop deck, pool, and gorgeous courtyard. It does have that 50's kitsch going for it, but I believe that's part of its charm! The staff is fantastic (from front desk to housekeeping). And the value!! I almost didn't want to leave a review because I'm afraid it's the island's best kept secret and I don't want to let the cat out of the bag! I did tons of research on different lodging prior to booking my trip and el Patio consistenty came in about 50-60% less than comparable motels, hotels, and B&B's. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Friendly, helpful staff. A step back in time with decor that was refreshingly cute. Great value, clean rooms, A little off the beaten path, but not too far off. We booked the 2 room suite and was pleased with it. There was plenty of space for 3 of us. Just don't expect an electric plug in the bathroom. This hotel was built before that was a consideration.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is a 1950s Motel and I was here in the early 80s it was the best value then and still is.
I paid 99.00 today Sept 2013, and got room 18 upstairs; I was traveling solo, when I opened the door I was pleasantly surprised to find not only one room but two! The first one has a flat screen TV, a queen bed, a small fridge with a table and two chairs;there is a door between the rooms, than a huge closet to the left and another queen bed and bathroom with a tub/shower. I called a friend and he drove down here to join me, since I had 2 rooms. It is very near Higgs Beach with its fenced children park, an Italian restaurant(super good lunch I had) and next door to the beach is the famous West Martello Tower, Key West Garden Club, entrance is FREE a sea side garden breathtaking beautiful. I will most certainly rent there again, for a week, next time. They have bicycles for rent for 16. a day! Tropical foliage on the terrace and a roof top patio to lounge in. No roaches or ants at all.

Room Tip: This Hotel is old but clean, spacious and no mold in the bathroom. The clerk was friendly , helpful...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Spotsylvania, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Cuban decorated motel. Old like historical but very cute. We thought it was a little wore out but felt like we were stay in a little history. Very clean the cleaner even made little flower shapes out of the wash cloths. The staff was very friendly and helpful.We stayed for a week and would stay there again. the price was real good too you can't beat the price.I hope they don't try to modernize the place it was really neat staying in a place that has been there that long. It was are 25th anniversary and we had a real good time THANKS

Room Tip: we got a first floor in side the court very nice to come out to with the big fountain and little sit...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Patio Motel? Share your experiences!