“A Good Christmas Diversion” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Key West 3 Nights $50 OFF
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Key West
Washington, DC
“A Good Christmas Diversion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I look for travel diversions during the holidays. Key West and Cypress House provided just what we were looking for. Festive decorations, friendly staff, and laid back Lady Bug, the resident cat, made us feel right at home for Christmas. The inn's location between Duval Street and such nice restaurants as Azur and Michael's allowed us to skip a rental car and walk everywhere. Thanks to all at the Cypress House for a week's delightful stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house downstairs. Even though our room faced the street, the air conditioning...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
DC, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I just returned from my second stay at Cypress House, my first since it was remodeled.I loved it so much the first time that I was a little apprehensive; I thought it might have lost some of its distinctive character, along with four of its five resident animals.

I was not disappointed.

By coincidence, I got the same room I had on my last trip. The room retained its big, breezy charm, but had updated furniture, including a very comfortable bed and antique wardrobe. The bathroom, too, had been updated with new fixtures and a mammoth shower.

Cypress House remains friendly and accommodating. The staff was helpful and cheerful and seemed genuinely pleased to have us there. I know that's how the hospitality industry is supposed to work anyway, but it doesn't feel forced there.

The common areas, including the pool, the extremely welcoming patio, and the breakfast room, were always immaculate. My husband and I aren't the tidiest creatures on the planet, but housekeeping did a fine job of keeping our room sparkling, as well.

The location is pretty much ideal. Duval and the Bight (or whatever they call that wharf where Schooner's Wharf is) are each about a five-minute walk away. It's less than a block from a convenience store and a nice little coffeehouse/bakery. Other good restaurants and shops are within easy reach in any direction.

Don't let the proximity to Duval scare you: the noise doesn't reach Cypress House. Their no children, no pets policy also helps to keep the place peaceful and serene. (There is a resident cat, Ladybug, but she's a quiet, friendly girl.)

In short, Cypress House is so comfortable and welcoming that it feels like a second home, and we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main house to keep your trip to the pool and patio short.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Huntington, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband and I have visited Key West five times in the past few years and this was my least favorite stay. I strongly believe it had to do with the building in which we were accomodated rather than the whole property, but it's important, nonetheless. Multiple buildings make up this property. We booked Cypress House two months ago when we learned our usual guest houses Alexander's, The Gardens and The Mermaid & Alligator weren't available. Because the Inns own multiple properties in the City, the booking was easy and the rate was comparable; the gentleman on the phone was very friendly and helpful. The location is fantastic. Many shops, top eateries and the harbor are within steps of the property. Ladybug (the cat) and host Eli were very welcoming, friendly and they did a fantastic job preparing breakfast (assorted croissants, yogurt, whole fruit, juice, eggs) and kept the common areas neat and clean. The lemon-lime cooler was particularly refreshing and the pool area is very attractive. What's disappointing? Upon booking, I asked for two rooms with queen sized beds; 2 people in one and 1 person in the other. I was told they had the perfect room for my mother with privacy and a porch (my father just passed away at 60) and our room would be beside the pool. Upon arrival, Cypress House looked like the photos on the website - grand and right on the corner. DO take advantage of the 30 minute free parking right outside the registration building. Checking in, we were told we had been upgraded to King sized beds. Keys were not marked with room numbers (don't mix them up), but we were told we would be in rooms 22 & 23 - my Mother would be in the room below us (insert jokes here). We were then escorted two buildings down the street, an annex, from Cypress House to what was probably once another inn - not the grand, old cypress house lighted for Christmas. The rooms shared a minimally furnished deck with two other rooms. Upon entering the room, a musty smell hit us in the face, the room refrigerator was ajar in the wall, framed up with damaged dry wall and the carpet was dirty looking, well worn mauve and the walls were seafoam green. The room was large. Honestly, I was really surprised to see carpet and upholstered headboards - humidity and the Keys just don't mix. I had hopes for the room above. But it too was musty; both felt unprepaired for our arrival. I want to stress the room was clean, but it felt like staying in a friend's half finished spare bedroom. The walls were beautiful cypress, but the carpet and bed had been updated, but there were no mirrors in the room and no wall hangings - nothing. The bathroom was solid white, very sparse with outdated light fixtures, worn toilet seat - the mirror was basic so old the silver coming off the edges - not in a charming way. The closet door was also broken. Products consist of basic hotel soap and one small bottle of conditioning shampoo. (Fortunately we had our own). This combined with the distance from the actual Cypress House and pool area made use feel like an afterthought. With my Mom in tow, we did not say anything. Being in customer service, I take responsibility for not having a conversation with the guest desk - but under the circumstances, it was not the time. Again, I've travelled for business and pleasure quite a bit - I know Key West. I feel like this is an Inn in transition, but we most certainly didn't feel upgraded - we felt bumped. That's not what we paid for and it has left us very disappointed.

Room Tip: If you have limited mobility, choose a room on the ground floor - lots of steep stairs on the proper...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HistoricKeyWestInns, Multichannel Marketing Director at Cypress House Key West, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear ILNDGRL71,

Thank you, so much, for your review! We are very happy that Eli, Ladybug and the staff made you feel welcome. We always would like to know if you have any concerns so that we can address them at the time you are staying with us; we would have been more than happy to accommodate you.

Guestroom keys are not numbered for safety reasons; a lost key with the hotel name and room number listed would not provide the guest safety that we pride ourselves upon.

All three of the buildings that belong to the Cypress House are beautiful, historic buildings, circa 1888. Each one has a different feel and most guests love the location, building and guestrooms you were in because they say it gives them "the feeling of living in Key West".

We hope you do stay with us again on your next trip to Key West and look forward to welcoming you.
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I needed a well-deserved getaway and decided to take a trip to Key West. We were able to book a room at the Cypress House around two weeks of our arrival and were unsure what we would find when we arrive. The pictures looked nice on the website but the Cypress House was more impressive in person. We stayed in room 8 from 11/17-11/21 and were so happy with our room. It is on the top floor (three stories walk-up) and think this was probably the best location in the property. There was a lot of street noise at night but the air conditioning unit drowned out the noise. The room was very clean and spacious. Large walk-in closet and private bathroom. Our room also had a college refrigerator to store cold drinks and leftovers. The best thing about the Cypress House is the location. Close to everything!!! We are planning another trip to Key West and will definitely stay here.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

First... LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION! This place is 2 blocks away from Duval and 2 blocks away from water and Mallory Square. The location is the best part of this hotel! My husband and I were able to come and go whenever we needed as it was so conveniently located near everything! While out walking and touring during the day we didnt need to worry about bringing sweaters or change of clothes as we were only 3 minutes walking distance no matter where we went. The location was perfect! We were in room 1 and had our own porch with chairs and foot stool and it was nice in the a.m. to sit out there with coffee and at night to sit with drinks and watch the people walking around.

Second - the charm of this hotel was very nice. It was not a resort and its not a $1000 per night room. For the price we paid we got well worth it. The original wood floors and original structures and walls and painted and repainted walls were gorgeous. My husband is a painter and he was not bothered by the painted walls and decor as he is very picky and specific about that kind of work. Ti y details were chipped paint here or there or creaky wooden floor boards but it adds so much charm and character and its nice to stay in a place with so much history. Our room was very clean when we arrived and was cleaned during the day when we left with not so much as a single thread of our belongings tampered with. If you are looking for character, charm, relaxing environment, clean beds this is your place!

Barely a gripe - 1) Our room was facing closest to duval so noise of motorcycles and go go carts were there but barely bothered us. We kept the a.c. on while we were there so we didnt hear much. Occasionally we would hear footsteps above us but again not so much to be a bother to us. Besides..... im sure we made plenty of noise of our own and we didnt get any dirty looks ;)
2) The sink faucet in our bathroom was very light so if you are an avid face washer I would tell u to get a different room. However the extremely deep and big bathtub paid for it and I enjoyed two soaks while there and even fell asleep in the bath one night! Other than the faucet the bathroom was gorgeous and very clean and nicely restocked wuth towels each day.

Staff were very friendly. Breakfast was staple stuff like cereals and bagels and toast and fruits and coffee and juices but the coffee qas better than the Starbucks on Duval so that says something....

Overall I would definately recommend this place to anyone! When we return to Key West we will definately return to Cypress House. We loved the high ceilings and hanging chandelier in our room, flat screen tv, beautiful decor... qe had a great time! I asked my husband of he had anything to add and he says no.. great times!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms were clean and modern but had te key west feel still. It's just a few blocks from all the stores and bars. Only 2 complaints. 1) We paid extra for a room with a porch and while we had porch access it wasn't private. 2) You could hear every noise from outside all night long. If you're a light sleeper you probably want to request a room that's not facing the street.
All things considered a nice stay. We would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We recently stayed here when we were attending a wedding in Key West. The room was very clean and comfortable. It is the perfect location for everything you want to do. Just off Duval Street, but away from the crowds.
Happy Hour and breakfast was served by Eli. He is a great host. He really added to our enjoyment of our stay. Always a smile, always accommodating.
We would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Cypress House Key West? Share your experiences!