“Beautiful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 92 Key West B&B and Inns
NJ
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

Just returned from 5 days at the Douglas House B+B in Key West. I stayed across the street from the main house, so I had to cross the street to use the pool. That was no problem. The room was lovely and everything was super clean on the entire property. Parking included, a block away. On the quiet side of Duval St., which was good. The hot tub could have been hotter, but if that is my only complaint I guess that is good. Staff very helpful.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Polish first
Loomis ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2006

My wife, another couple and myself had booked a vacation package in Florida through Ramada Plaza Resorts. The package included two hotels as well as a short cruise to the Bahamas. Since the first hotel was a dump we decided to leave early and try to find a place in Key West for one night. While enroute, I called the visitor center there and found that they were really no help. We then called the Douglas House from an advertisement in the Travel Guide. Even though we were at the peak of the busy season, we were offered a 900 sq. ft cottage type suite for $299.00. We booked it from the car.

When we got there we found the hotel right on the corner of Amelia and Duval streets. We were walking distance to all of the Duval street attractions, as well as the Southernmost Point Landmark. The staff was courteous and friendly and even made it a point to show us our room before we checked in.

There were absolutely no disappointments here. The building was old and charming. The room was very clean and and painted in bright Caribbean colors. The other rooms in the building were painted in different colors but looked equally as pleasant. The cottage had a kitchenette with a full refrigerator, stove and microwave, as well as a large dining area. There was a half bath and a pull out sofa downstairs. A beautiful hardwood staircase led up to a large loft with an equally large bathroom. The bedroom furniture was all wicker and added to the Caribbean atmosphere. There were also two balconies that overlooked the pool area.

The hotel has free offstreet parking, two pools, and a free continental breakfast each morning. Our only regret was that we couldn't have stayed longer.

This is not a resort with activities and amenities galore. It is a charming little hotel that really captured the flavor of the Keys.

There is no question as to where we're going to stay the next time we visit Key West.

• Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2005

We loved our room, plenty of space. We also enjoyed having access to two pools whenever we would like. It is in a great location and we felt very welcome. The front desk staff was awsome! They were willing to help us out in any way that they could. I can't imagine anything needing to be done to improve things. It was all perfect and we loved every minute of being here.

• Stayed July 2005
Key Largo,FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2005

What a wonderful place.More than we expected!We booked through internet and we weren't sure what to expect.We got everything we wanted and more.We go quite often there ,but we always stay at the larger hotels.I guess a lot of the rooms had been recently remodeled.I had the chance to look at a lot of them before I leave.We wanted something real "Key Westy" and tropical.We Got It!I have a lot of friends traveling often to Key West.I already suggested the Douglas House to all of them.

• Stayed July 2005
Buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2005

This was our first trip to Key West ,but my daughter has been there so many times.Our family enjoyed every minute (two short days) and I can't wait to return.I can't imagine staying anywhere else.The Douglas House gave us a real love for Key West.We were totaly satisfied with our room and all that Douglas House had to offer.We especially loved the pool area and the location.

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2005

We really enjoyed my stay at the Douglas house.We couldn't spend more than 4 days but they passed so quick.We stayed at a room in a very quiet location .It didn't have a great view comparing to some of the other ones but it was just recently remodeled.The staff is very friendly-they helped us to go on a snorkeling trip,told us about things to do and places to visit.We loved the two cats that live on the property.The only thing that I could complain probably is the rooster that I guess live in the area .Other than that we had a very nice time at the Douglas House .We can't wait till next October.

• Stayed October 2005
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

After reading several reviews, I felt obligated to add one for clarity. Simply stated...visitors who have been to Key West before [and love it] will be more than happy at the Douglas House. Service is friendly, competent and accommodating, surrounding area is on "quiet" side of island, although EVERYTHING in Old Town is walkable and the neighborhood is SAFE for anyone who has every left "Mayberry". Price tends to be on the "affordable" end of the spectrum [for Key West] and room decors vary, but at worst; it's simple and comfortable at best more than worth the money! Most rooms have large outdoor balconies or patios (as well as kitchenettes), which are nice for “happy hour” before heading to see the sunset. In reality, the question you have to ask is “how much time do you plan on spending in your room while visiting Key West”. If the answer is: most of your trip, then I suggest the Hilton Key West Marina or better yet…head to Palm Beach.

• Stayed November 2004

Been to Douglas House? Share your experiences!