“Douglas House Great” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 92 Key West B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Florida, United States
“Douglas House Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

The staff are friendly, helpful and patient. The room was comfortable, big and cool with ceiling fans. The private porch was big, very comfortable in the mornings to have coffee and the Spa pool was relaxing.
Really enjoyed staying there and will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Polish first
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I think you can tell by the wide reactions to this hotel that they have a consistency problem, but let me explain why - I have stayed at a few B and B's in Key West (the Eden house being my personal favorite), but when a friend booked a block of rooms here for her birthday, we decided to give Douglas House a try.

First, let me explain the location - yes, its a "block from Duvall Street" as advertised, but for those of you who aren't familiar with Key West, that's quite a long street and runs from Mallory Square (where all of the main bars, restaurants are) to the Southernmost point - Douglas House is much closer to the Southernmost side, which means a few things. It is a good 20 plus minute walk to Mallory Square (which may not be a bad thing if you want to stay away from all that craziness) and second, the neighborhood is a little less than picturesque (its not that we had a bad experience or anything, but when you drive around the block to park your car, you will understand what I mean). That being said, there are some nice restaurants and clubs nearby (La Te Da is right across the street). I agree with all the other reviewers that the grounds are lovely and the pool very quaint. Also, I agree that the staff was very courteous and pleasant, but the rooms were just not that good. Keep in mind I had the opportunity to see several rooms since we were staying in such a big group. Our room (I think was called the Royal Palm) is upstairs in the back off the main building - it was big, but extremely outdated, with ugly, yard sale-type sheets (mismatched) on a tired mattress, a very loud AC unit, an even uglier bathroom (with an awkward step and tiny, corner shower with tile circa 1962). There was also a funky smell that permeated all of our clothes - it was not the ocean smell you get when you stay somewhere near the beach (which is musty but not altogether unpleasant), it was an odor that no amount of air freshener was going to help. I know that when you stay at a local B and B you are not getting 500 count Egyptian, but this room really needs some help - it just seemed dirty.

Now, my friend had a room downstairs, steps away from an enchanting part of the courtyard on the first floor, and that was better, but also not so fresh (although I think that courtyard almost makes up for it). The "guest of honor’s room was across the courtyard on the deck (just steps above the pool) and it was much, much nicer - I think this is the room generating all the great reviews). I saw a few others in that building, so perhaps I just landed in the ghetto section and there are several great options that my group snatched up on me.

I am not saying you definitely shouldn't stay here - if the price is right and you are good with the location, I would recommend you research your specific room very carefully - I am sure if you call the front desk, they will help you and you won't feel as disappointed. I just felt that for what we paid our room wasn't up to par - and to warn you further, another friend who got the cheapest class of room was miserable across the street (we had actually paid something like 75 dollars per night above that).

I won't be back until they invest some time and a little money upgrading all the rooms.

Room Tip: Research your specific room before booking!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My hbusband & I stayed at The Douglas House 8/29-9/2/12. We originally planned to be in Key West for our 21st anniversary the prior week, but Hurricane Isaac was traveling through KW the day we were supposed to check in! So we rescheduled our arrival for a few days later (which requires some saavvy negotiating, due to the fact that MOST places require a non+efundable deposit or 14 day advance cancellation notice, hurricane or not) So we found the Douglas House, sight unseen, & booked it over the phone in the car on the way! (This is after WEEKS of researching trip advisor, finding a place then having to cancel)
The unit we stayed in was L-3 across from the office. King size bed was average, bedding was worn, but most importantly: everything was CLEAN. Maid service every day and brought fresh towels, linens.
Floyd @ the front desk was very helpful and recommended a few restaurants, although we never had time to hit em all! There was another man @ the front desk whose name escapes me!! But he was very helpful and turned us on to a fantastic place for breakfast called Blue Heaven. All fresh ingredients & homemade! We sat outside on the patio & chickens & roosters roamed freely amongst us!! You'll see that this is the "norm" on KW!
We drove to Douglas House from Pensacola and brought our own bikes- which is the main form of transpo on the island, so it worked out perfect!
All in all, we loved the ambience of the Douglas House- the shady patio area & pool- it was perfect for us!! We plan to return as soon as we can!

• Stayed August 2012
COLCHESTER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My fiancée and I had decided to spend a few days down in the Keys,had no idea where to say,found the Douglas House online and decided to book a room. Well,let me tell you,did we hit the ball out of the park with this Inn. The most gorgeous suite,it was so clean,the kitchen & living room were more than I had expected. The bedroom was enormous and comfortable. It was like being home. The staff were the nicest people ever,pleasant with a sense of humor. It was as if we were family. Duval Street is just a few steps from the door which made it nice to be so close. The pool area looked like a retreat,calming calming,calming. Pool was refreshing. We have already decided that we will be coming back again in August for another great stay at this wonderful Douglas House!
Robin&Paul
Colchester,CT

Room Tip: No tip needed,every room is perfect
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We just returned from our 4th trip to the Douglas House. This time we stayed in the Royal Palm room, which is a large third floor room with a nice front patio overlooking the gardens. Previous posts have mentioned loud air conditioners, dampness, bugs etc. but honestly we always are of the mind set that we are in the tropics and small, family run places are always battling the elements. I guess if you want brand new, non-local lodging the big chains are right up the street. The owners of the Douglas House have continued to make improvements throughout the years, and most recently overhauled the entire pool area, including the pool furniture and a brand new deck ... very nice! They also continue to be one of the best values in a high priced market.

They made it very clear in advance that there was no breakfast and although we missed the convenience, they did have coffee 24 hours a day and we did enjoy a great breakfast right next door at the new 'T's Cafe' right on Duval street. There are lots of good breakfast choices within a block or two. We found the staff to be very accomodating and friendly and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The suites in the back of the inn have been completely remodeled and are quite beautiful and spaciou...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Eastham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We booked a room at the Douglas House at the recommendation of a family member who had stayed there previously. We researched extensively and decided to take a chance. The room was priced right for the location, which is located on the corner of Duval St and Amelia on the south side of the strip. The service was exceptional, the room was clean, although in an older neighborhood, was comfortable and secure. Parking was a half-block away ( 2 min. walk). The patio area was clean and well kept, the staff was friendly and courteous. I have absolutely nothing bad to report regarding these accommodations and they contributed to a very pleasant vacation. The bed was also one of the most comfortable ones I have slept on besides my own and if there's anything that can wreck a good vacation- it's a crappy bed. I will absolutely be booking at the Douglas House on my next trip to Key West. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my girlfriends and absolutely loved it. The gardens were beautiful and the grounds were so unique. The hotel rooms and buildings were a little older but I appreciated that and how they were decorated. The hotel was quiet and the pool was really fun to hang out by too. Lastly the staff was so helpful and friendly! I would love to stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Douglas House? Share your experiences!