“Beautiful secret on Duval St.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Duval Gardens to your Saves list
Duval Gardens
1012 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #43 of 93 Key West B&B and Inns
“Beautiful secret on Duval St.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I happened across this inn on by chance but I was glad that I stayed here. I was actually checked into the Fly Navy where they were having issues with their plumbing so in a panic I started calling all the inns in Key West. As I went down the line and no one had any availability I was thankfully referred to the Key West Innkeeper's 800 number which is a one-stop shop for all inns in Key West and I would highly recommend using them for future bookings. Rhoda(?) at the Innkeepers found Duval Gardens and immediately called to try to get me a room for the weekend. Thankfully they had a last minute cancellation and frankly as long as their was running water I was there.
What a pleasant surprise Duval Gardens was! I was greeted by Christina and she immediately showed me to my room. The room was on the second floor and one of the smaller rooms but beautiful and frankly had everything my husband and I needed for the weekend. It was very quiet and I liked that each room was privately accessed from the outside wrap around porch. We were in room 24 which is a corner room at the back of the Inn. The queen sized bed was super comfortable and the AC unit kept us nice and chilly at night. The shower pressure was not the best and it did take a while to wash the soap from my hair but other than that everything was immaculate and very comfortable.
The inn is located at the south end of Duval Street which is a little more quiet and closer to the Southernmost point but we walked the strip each night and had no problem with the distance. If it was something further than we wanted to walk like Mallory Square we hailed a pedicab and they usually charged about $20 to get to the other end of Duval St. Parking is limited here but they have a second lot about 4 blocks away but I always found free street parking at the corner of Virginia and Duval next to the yoga studio. Each morning they serve continental breakfast on the porch. Wifi is only available on the porch so beware. We had Sunday brunch at Martin's restaurant one block up from the inn and the crabcakes benedict and gouda potatoes were delicious! The pool is small but a nice touch for hot summer days and they have 4 lounge chairs plus patio chairs around the pool deck for sunbathing. I definitely would stay at this inn again and I liked our room so much I probably wouldn't even upgrade.

Room Tip: Pick a second floor room if you don't want to hear anyone walking around above you. Rooms toward...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
avalonbnb, Manager at Duval Gardens, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion online and giving such a detailed account. We are happy you found us. The Key West Innkeepers association's reservation service (Becca, Rhoda and Vanessa) do a fabulous job of helping find suitable accommodations for people, and always know who has last minute availability due to cancellations.

As you may know we struggle with water pressure in Key West. Our water is piped from the mainland and the pressure is not anywhere near what people are used to at home. We usually all agree it's a small price to pay for life in paradise though.

Christina is gem, and thank you for mentioning her, I know she will appreciate it. I want to take time to personally agree I think Martins do the best eggs benedict on the island on Sunday. (the yellowtail is my personal favorite).

While we would love to see everyone disconnect while on vacation we know its not feasible. We will be working on upgrading our Wi-Fi in the future to reach all rooms, but for now we have it free on the front porch for those of our guests who need to stay in touch, and its a good spot to people watch while you catch up on your business.
We do hope you get to stay with us again on your next visit to Key West.

Thanks Again for choosing Duval Gardens..

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Elizabeth, Pa 15037
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have stayed at numerous Key West guest houses, and Duval Gardens is hands down the best! The rooms are beautiful and exceptionally clean. The staff is very helpful and hospitably. We intend to stay there in future visits.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We have been here in beginning of June for only 1 night as we came over just from Miami.
i already checked before on booking. com the reviews for the best hotels in Key West and the Duval garden had the best reviews. so we decided to go there. we were very impressed about the Familiare atmosphare and Mrs. Barbara at the reception who welcomed us very friendly. She showed us a nice room on the second Floor and we immediately decided to stay there.
the room is all over very pretty and clean. everyting was made by heart i can say. the interiour is very classic. the breakfast is located at the terrace and includes all you canthink of. Fruits, sweets, yoghurt, corn flakes, cheese......

When we checked out we had a nice conversation with Mrs. Barbara again and hereby i would like to thank her for her nice welcome and the nice and friendly behaviour. you are great!!!

if we will come anytime back to Key West we will only go for Duval Garden!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed here just for one night in Key West. The location is very good, on one of main streets, close to evening activities but in quiet surrounding. We were kindly welcomed by Christina, given all recommendations and parking hints. The parking is small and no reservations available, as announced, but we were given all directions to affiliate parking, all clear.
Our room (queen-sized bed) was tiny but good too. No wardrobe, only chest of drawers. Enough space in the bathroom. Room doors exit to common patio and it was great to sit there, looking on the street or meet neighbors. The breakfast was great: continental, with lots of fruits and bakery.
I would definitely recommend this small hotel for those who love cosiness, this hotel is full of it.

Sun City Center, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here for three days in early May. The room was clean and very pretty, though small. Parking is limited, but our car stayed parked the whole time as we walked everywhere. We really enjoyed the breakfast on the front porch and visiting with fellow travellers. Both managers were friendly and very helpful. I hope we can return again.

Liege, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Had a great time there. Very nice service, people very friendly and warm.
The B&B is ideally located for tourists who want to visit Key west. All the important "action" is nearby and it is easy to go everywhere interesting (beach, shops, attractions, etc.) by foot.
The room I was in was not that big but very comfortable and clean. We didn't use the swimming pool (quite small)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
The Villages, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This B&B is well located just a couple of blocks south of all the action. The room was quite small, but clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was above average. The pool is really a spa - hot water, but no whirlpoos. We enjoyed our stay, but if we were to go back to Key West, I think I would bite the bullet and pay more for a larger room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Duval Gardens? Share your experiences!