“Great value on Duval!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Te Da Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Key West
La Te Da Hotel
1125 Duval St, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #20 of 41 hotels in Key West
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
“Great value on Duval!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We just completed our usual week 17 trip to Key West and spent 3 great nights at the La Te Da and it as usual we loved our stay. This is our 7th time back to the property and yes, it needs some updating and renovation, but the value and charm of this hotel make us always come back. Great staff, great location on Duval and fantastic breakfast will always keep us coming back!

Room Tip: Cuban Coffee Queen down near the docks is a must for morning coffee!

359 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

the bathroom needs updating desperately! However, I will start out with the positives. My husband and I visited in April (2013). Walking into the hotel lobby makes you smile. The atmosphere is laid back, comfortable and welcoming. The staff is there to please. Make sure you stay for the breakfast each morning because it is absolutely delicious! Sitting at the outside bar you will meet colorful characters and get the best drinks. My husband and I visited The Cabaret in La Te Da to see- Christopher Peterson's "Eyecons". He was very entertaining and I encourage guest and non-guest to see him. Laughed all the way through! I almost forgot to mention the short walk to the beach. La Te Da is located in the perfect place, close to the beach and away from the noisy area of Duval St (but still close to all the nightlife activities). The hotel itself is charming but needs some TLC. I am going to focus on the room my husband and I stayed in (Standard Room #18). This room is located towards the front of the property right next to the bar. Thank goodness for the a/c window unit because it helped to drown out the noise coming from the bar. You can hear the bar being cleaned and stocked (clicks and clanks in the early morning hours and late at night). Also, there is loud music played into the night. Again, it didn't bother me much because the a/c helped and I always bring earplugs! The room is nice. It's kind of shabby chic. Wicker type furniture. There's an armoire, dresser with 6 drawers and nightstand in-between 2 Queen beds. The room has a nice size flat screen TV too.
Here is my major issue with Standard Room 18: The sad, tired, motel looking bathroom. When you walk into the bathroom area to the left is the toilet that is separated from the rest of the bathroom (good thing) but the toilet area looked incredibly dirty because of the old grout, brown tiles, splattered paint on floor and dirt in the corners. The toilet area didn't look like it was thoroughly cleaned (looked like a quick cleaning job). Walking into the rest of the bathroom didn't make me feel like I was in a sanitized area. It really looked like a run down motel bathroom. No modern updates, mildew, cracked walls, terrible faucet, shower/tub/spa was gross (couldn't pay me to sit in that- bad enough I had to stand in it), shower head was the cheapest they could find and barely sprayed. Needless to say I was disgusted that I had to put any of my bath products anywhere around the tub. Then there is the cheesy mirror on the wall in the shower area. Come on!
Overall, we had a great experience at La Te Da and I didn't let the bathroom ruin my stay. I kept positive and told myself I was only in the bathroom for 15min max to shower and get ready for the day/evening. I'm not sure what the other rooms and bathroom look like so I won't dare make a blanket statement about the other rooms in the hotel. We will definitely stay at the La Te Da again but not in Standard Room 18. I'm willing to take the chance (hoping next time to score an updated bathroom!) because the charm of the hotel and staff overrides all the negatives. :)

Room Tip: Standard Room 18 is in the front of hotel by the bar.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Historical property seriously in need of remodeling. Rooms are run down and funky. Not a good value for the cost. Keep this property alive. Good food and entertainment. The bars are lively. Good location on Duval.

• Stayed May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed mid week and despite booking well in advance there was only a disabled room left. Not an issue as we knew what we were getting. We found the location great. It's at a quiter end of Duval but walking distance to anything you need. We had no trouble parking on the side streets but maybe because it was midweek. Rooms are nice enough with comfortable beds and pillows but they are in need of repair. In room amenities were cheap and I accidentally ripped 3 towels while drying myself off they are so old and threadbare. It's the little things like this along with broken tiles, fixtures and fittings that let this old otherwise charming place down. We enjoyed the breakfast each day but I would suggest a credit towards breakfast instead so you could choose from more variety instead of just the limited options on the inclusive menu. Also the baguette as apposed to toast while at first novel got a little tired. Although our room looked out onto the restaurant and bar where there was nightly live entertainment, we didn't have an issue with noise. However, the noise from the person staying above us walking about I found annoying, so perhaps request a first floormroommif this might bother you. The cabaret is excellent and well worth booking of you are there when it's on.

Room Tip: Noise from people walking on timber floors above annoyed me, get a first floor room if this might bo...
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at the La Te Da after hearing about the property from a friend who stayed here a few years ago. The La Te Da did not disappoint.

We had limited interaction with the staff because we were out touring around most of the time, but when we did connect with someone they were kind & helpful.

Our room was right off the pool, which concerned me at first, but hardly any guests used it & we were able to get a good night's rest every night. The room wasn't huge, but we didn't need it to be. The bed was comfortable, the water pressure / temperature in the shower was perfect for cleaning up after a day at the beach, & the room itself was very tidy.

We never had a drink at the bar; there were just too many places for us to try further up on Duval. But we did enjoy brunch the morning of our departure, & it was delicious for the value. I would have liked to have had time to order off of their more extensive menu!

We'll definitely be recommending the La Te Da to friends, & we'll be sure to stay here the next time we visit the Keys. Maybe next time we'll even check out one of the Saturday night shows!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I'm not exactly DISpleased, but I wasn't exactly thrilled either. For all the hype, I expected something more. Like...I was excited that there was a pool, but it was tiny, shaded and in a bit of disrepair. And that wad kind of the way of it. If you found yourself looking too closely at anything, you'd find that much of the place had many spots where paint needed touch up or wood boards needed replacing. The room was lovely.. .perfect for two, but it was a dead zone when it came to cell and internet reception. I don't know...i just don't feel as though I got much for the money I paid

• Stayed April 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for old Key West charm, what we got was disappointment from the beginning. We tried to call when we got close to the hotel for parking suggests, no one answered the phone we ended up driving around the block a few times. The lobby was dark and smelly, the front desk person was not friendly. When we were being shown to our room we walked by the pool, it was moldy.. A moldy pool! Gross. The landscaping was over grown, everything outside seemed rundown. The room... The room smelled like smoke, I requested a non smoking room. It was disgustingly dirty. It looked like they had not cleaned the mirrors in months, so if mirrors are dirty what else is dirty?? The bathroom was so small, you could not even turn around in the shower without touching the walls, did I mention how dirty the place was!! It looked like years of filth around the door knobs. The AC was unable to cool down the room, the ironing board was broken. We checked out less then an hour. They did refund us our second night stay cost. We would have left even if they didn't give us a refund. We found a great place on the other side of the key, The Hyatt. Not the old Key West I was looking for but it was nice and CLEAN. It was almost the same price and it was a condo with 2 bedrooms, kitchen and view of the water.
Bottom line I do NOT recommend staying at The La Te Da.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Te Da Hotel? Share your experiences!