“Very Charming Hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Te Da Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Key West
La Te Da Hotel
You added La Te Da Hotel to your Saves list
1125 Duval St, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #22 of 45 Hotels in Key West
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Charming Hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The staff here were VERY friendly and accommodating. The made to order breakfast included each morning was delicious. Our room was large and handsomely decorated. One little problem and I can see where this might gross some people out too much. For us it wasn't a big issue and I understand it is the tropics and an old building. But...we had termites in our bathroom a couple days. The cleaning service came right away and cleaned it all up very well, but I guess they were coming out of the wood around the window because by the next day...they were back. Now I would definitely recommend staying here, our friends had a bottom level room and I never heard them mention the termite problem. But if you notice them the first day you might want to ask for another room because they will be there every day no matter how much they clean. I hope that doesn't deter too many people, overall the place was a great deal and a great place! Just wanted to be honest about what we experienced.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We recently stayed at La Te Da for four nights to ring in the new year. The location is excellent; right on Duval street (the nicer, quieter side) within walking distance to most attractions on the island worth seeing. The staff was consistently great from the front desk to the bartenders. Included is a free breakfast every morning, and the breakfast is awesome. One of the best hotel breakfasts I've had the pleasure of eating; it's really very good. The price was excellent for a hotel in Duval Street, especially considering it was one of the busiest holidays of the year. If you plan on staying here for New Year's Eve, book early. I made my reservation in July and was able to snag one of only 2 rooms left.

The rooms are a little older and dilapidated compared to some other hotels on Duval but still reasonably clean. The mattresses in our room could use replacing, as they both felt saggy and uncomfortable. From what I've read, some rooms have better mattresses so it may have been an issue unique to our room (we got one of the luxury ones on the 2nd floor).

The only major issue we had was the lack of a shower curtain. There is no bathroom door, meaning that without a shower curtain, anyone taking a shower is clearly visible from the rest of the room. When you're with a significant other it's not a problem, but when with friends who have no interest in seeing their buddy's junk, it is very awkward. Fortunately, I travel with a Flexoline wherever I go, and we were able to rig up a makeshift shower curtain using several beach towels.

I would stay here again in the future despite the minor room inconveniences. The excellent staff and prime location more than make up for the other issues.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Columbus, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We just returned from a one-week stay at La Te Da. I found it on the internet and went in hoping it was as good as I had read it was. It surpassed all our expectations and I wish we were still there. Start with the location, it is on the "classy" part of Duval. No throngs of drunks aimlessly wandering the streets and no loud music and people. A great area with nice shops, restaurants and proximity to many attractions. On the other hand, when you're ready to go to "unclassy" Duval, it's not that bad a walk at all. The hotel is an old home that has been adapted to it's current use. I loved that the rooms were scattered around and non-uniform. We were in the back and on the second-floor. It was like it was our home and everyone else was just visiting. The staff was the best part of La Te Da. Without exception, they were friendly, helpful and all appeared to genuinely love their job. We stayed over Christmas and not one person working that day complained. This is how a hotel staff should be. We only ate breakfast but it was consistently good. Based on the crowds, lunch and supper are just as good. There is no parking on-site but I had no problem finding a spot around the corner and we didn't use the car at all while we were there. We went to a Christopher Peterson Eyecon cabaret show upstairs. It was a great show and well worth the $26 ticket. He is a great entertainer and the upstairs hall is amazing. I'm sure I've left something out but the bottom line is that we could not have ben more satisfied with La Te Da. It was one of the highlights of our trip and we will return.

Room Tip: Pay the slight additional money for the Upstairs rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just returned from a trip to Key West for my husbands birthday. The first night, we had a few problems with our room and we shared the information with the front desk. The man at the front desk immediately took note and offered to allow us to switch to a nicer room free of additional charges for the remainder of our stay!

We also spent quite a bit of time fishing during our stay and the staff was nice enough to prepare them to our liking each time for dinner.

Overall- Great experience and would recommend this great little find to anyone looking for a unique experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
sneads,fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I went to La te da after hearing how great it was from friends. I went on a Friday and Doug was there. He was very nice. I went back Saturday and Doug wasnt there, but a short female bartender was there. I sat down and waited a good 5 minutes before she even acknowledged me there and she was rude and unpleasant. I ordered my drink and told her I wanted to order some food also. She threw the little menu at me. I finished my drink and left and never returned. There are too many bars and restaurants in KW . I work hard for my money and I am not going to waste my time an effort and money on someone with a bad sorry attitude who is rude to me. Everyone has bad days, but dont take it out on your patrons. Never again will I patron your bar or hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Newburyport, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had been to Key West before but never stayed overnight there. The La Te Da Hotel is on Duval St. within easy walking distance to Mallory Square, Southernmost Point and Fort Taylor State Park. There is no parking on site so you take your chances on finding a spot on a nearby side street. The hotel itself is very cute with an open air pool in in the center with all rooms surrounding it. The ground floor rooms have little privacy as your outside area is also a walking path. The room was small but adequate. We did have a problem with the bathroom as the toilet had no lid, the floor was splattered with paint drops and the tub area definitely needs updating. Everything was clean though.

The restaurant was top notch -- the breakfasts were the best we've had at any hotel and they were included with the room. The dinner we enjoyed there was also excellent.

The staff are very pleasant. Since there are only 15 rooms, it would be nice if the hotel provided coffee in the lobby for early risers. They don't serve breakfast until 8:30.

I would stay again but would pay extra for a second floor room.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are more private.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the La Te Da Hotel in Key West last week. We chose it on the basis of Tripadvisor reviews and generally in the past, a good review on Tripadvisor is a sure fire way of finding a good hotel.

First impressions were that of my own naivety. Given that Key West has a large gay community, I should have read something into this hotel's name. I just had not realised or spotted that it was a gay hotel. We have stayed at gay run establishments in the past and they have been superb. Unfortunately this one wasn't.

We had been given a supposedly deluxe room and my wife's cousin had the neighbouring room. Both were right by the bar at the front of the establishment. It is a piano bar with enough PA power to rival Wembley Stadium! There was a very competent entertainer who played a lot of Elton John type of music which unfortunately went on for far later in the evening than we were able to. After around midnight, when the music stopped we were then serenaded by the sound of cutlery being replaced in drawers in the pantry area that was next door to our room. It sounded like they were hurling each knife fork and spoon from the second floor at full force. Maybe we were unlucky in getting such noisy rooms. There are other rooms in the hotel that are further from the bar but there is a show lounge upstairs where they host drag entertainments on certain nights of the week. It was far too noisy and really not for us!

Breakfast was supposedly included but the choice was small as were the portions. They were really not up to the standards for breakfasts that we had become accustomed to in America. You could have either fruit/yogourt or fried but not both. Throughout the hotel were notices where staff were pinching for tips. The hotel supposedly offers free WiFi but it did not work for the duration of our stay and no effort appeared to have been made to get it up and running again.

The hotel's location is at the southern end of Key West's main drag (if you'll excuse the term!) This gets very lively in the evenings with all sorts of bohemian characters and loads of music bars and clubs. There is no car parking available within the hotel but there are nearby streets where cars can be parked for free. This may involve some walking after having searched for a space to park. There are parking meters outside the hotel where a quarter dollar buys you seven minutes so suitcases can be offloaded.

Would we stay there again? Certainly not. It was far too noisy and service was no better than mediocre. It was really not for us. That said, if you are in to the gay scene, if you like lively noisy bars and suffer from either insomnia or deafness, then this place may be okay for you. For us it was terrible!

Hope this is helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the hotel away from the piano bar
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Te Da Hotel? Share your experiences!