“If you suffer from insomnia or deafness, then this place may be okay for you.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Te Da Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Key West
La Te Da Hotel
Save Saved
You added La Te Da Hotel to your Saves list
1125 Duval St, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in Key West
London
“If you suffer from insomnia or deafness, then this place may be okay for you.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the La Te Da Hotel in Key West last week. We chose it on the basis of Tripadvisor reviews and generally in the past, a good review on Tripadvisor is a sure fire way of finding a good hotel.

First impressions were that of my own naivety. Given that Key West has a large gay community, I should have read something into this hotel's name. I just had not realised or spotted that it was a gay hotel. We have stayed at gay run establishments in the past and they have been superb. Unfortunately this one wasn't.

We had been given a supposedly deluxe room and my wife's cousin had the neighbouring room. Both were right by the bar at the front of the establishment. It is a piano bar with enough PA power to rival Wembley Stadium! There was a very competent entertainer who played a lot of Elton John type of music which unfortunately went on for far later in the evening than we were able to. After around midnight, when the music stopped we were then serenaded by the sound of cutlery being replaced in drawers in the pantry area that was next door to our room. It sounded like they were hurling each knife fork and spoon from the second floor at full force. Maybe we were unlucky in getting such noisy rooms. There are other rooms in the hotel that are further from the bar but there is a show lounge upstairs where they host drag entertainments on certain nights of the week. It was far too noisy and really not for us!

Breakfast was supposedly included but the choice was small as were the portions. They were really not up to the standards for breakfasts that we had become accustomed to in America. You could have either fruit/yogourt or fried but not both. Throughout the hotel were notices where staff were pinching for tips. The hotel supposedly offers free WiFi but it did not work for the duration of our stay and no effort appeared to have been made to get it up and running again.

The hotel's location is at the southern end of Key West's main drag (if you'll excuse the term!) This gets very lively in the evenings with all sorts of bohemian characters and loads of music bars and clubs. There is no car parking available within the hotel but there are nearby streets where cars can be parked for free. This may involve some walking after having searched for a space to park. There are parking meters outside the hotel where a quarter dollar buys you seven minutes so suitcases can be offloaded.

Would we stay there again? Certainly not. It was far too noisy and service was no better than mediocre. It was really not for us. That said, if you are in to the gay scene, if you like lively noisy bars and suffer from either insomnia or deafness, then this place may be okay for you. For us it was terrible!

Hope this is helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the hotel away from the piano bar
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Dubuque, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed at the La Te Da for 4 nights with some girlfriends in early October. I will never stay anywhere else (unless I have my kids with me!) because we loved this place! The rooms are not luxurious but are funky and cool and clean. The beds were really comfortable. The free breakfast was great every morning. I loved the little pool and they piped in some fun music during the day. The staff was excellent all around with special shout-outs to Jason and Robin at the bar.Great fun crowd - all people are welcome here - gay and straight. It is at the opposite end of Duval from the bars but we made the walk every night and it wasn't so bad. I cannot wait to visit again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Manhattan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay. The staff was very friendly and showed personal interest. The complimentary breakfast was very good and well presented. Loved our room and especially the little balcony where we sat every night before bed. Great location on Duval. We stayed for a week and hated to leave!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
North Tonawanda, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed at the La Te Da 10/7-10/11 2012 in Room 32. We made it just in time for the last 15 minutes of the Tea Party Dance on Sunday and it was a hoot!! We got checked in very quickly by Derek at the front desk who was quite helpful. Darren at the front bar made me one of his killer Key Lime martinis that I read about and it did not disappoint! I was very glad to see that they had my favorite beer on tap (Stella Artois) and enjoyed a few of those during our stay too. Our room was in the back of the property, nestled away on the upper deck. The king-sized memory foam bed was extremely comfortable and the room was clean. There is a decent-sized dresser with mirror but I used the hidden wall closet on my side of the bed for all of my things. There is a sitting area on one side of the room with a television, ceiling to floor mirrors on the elevated area leading into the bathroom, a small fridge under the sink, a separate toilet and tiled shower stall. The bathroom may be small for some but it was functional and in good working order for us. Each and every member of the staff was genuinely friendly, helpful and accommodating but I must make mention of Eric at the front desk and Mike the server at breakfast time. Eric shares the same birthday as my boyfriend and when I asked if we could do something special as a surprise he arranged to have gigantic balloons put into our room at no additional cost to us. He even gave a birthday gift of a La Te Da hotel baseball cap, which my boyfriend cannot wait to wear proudly! Mike was wonderful and we had breakfast each morning with him as our server. You have a choice of 3 selections complete with juice and coffee. The Brioche French Toast was delicious, the Fruit and Berries "cocktail" is served in a martini glass with vanilla yogurt, and the "American" includes 2 eggs, bacon, home fries and toast. You may also order off the menu if none of these items suit you, for an additional charge. Everyone made us feel like we were old and dear friends and we loved our stay there. Wednesdays offer a prime rib dinner special that is absolutely fantastic!! Our server Kamil was attentive and very professional, and when we engaged him in conversation he became at ease and even more friendly. While it may be true that the hotel needs some updating, the level of service and quality of food made up for it. The sweet man with the hat (I did not catch his name) was busily making cosmetic updates every day we were there, most likely in preparation for the upcoming Fantasy Fest later this month. Doug at the front bar was a riot too! We were lucky to find parking right on the corner across from the hotel so it was not an issue for us. We enjoyed our stay so much that we are planning a return visit next year at the same time to celebrate Eric's birthday again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper deck seem quieter than those around the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was myself and a female friends 1st trip to the Keys. We were driving down from Key Largo after good stay at the Marriott and were looking forward to the charm of Key West.

After reading reviews and doing research on price and location, I decided to give La Te Da a chance for a 2 night stay - Room #22 (1st floor right near restaurant). It is considered a Deluxe room due to crown molding and was only one available at time of booking.
Our room was steps from the restaurant with small fridge which came in handy. As many other reviews say, it does need to be updated. The room was semi-small for 2 people. There is a bureau and small half closet but no vanity or shelving in bathroom to hang anything. Not even a hook on back of door. They supplied enough clean towels and facecloths plus 2 pool towels.
We found parking nearby on a side street where we left car rest of stay. Check-in was smooth but didn't get any breakfast vouchers at time which didn't occur till needed.

The location is close to so many restaurants and shops. Hemingways house which we toured and enjoyed is the next block over. Southernmost is to right of hotel down Duval St about 4 blocks and to left is marina and many restaurants about 8 blocks away. You get plenty of exercise walking around to the sights. You can also rent bikes and for those who prefer - scooters. I'm a walker myself!

We ended up having a late delicious seafood lunch at Alonzos at the waterfront. After doing sufficient research on snorkel trips. We booked a all day Snorkel/Mangrove kayaking trip with Sebago Watersports. You have to be at boat 30 mins before they leave. I did a separate review on them but we had a lot of fun for the price. The crew, boat and food were fun!

When we got back to La Te Da, I found out that breakfast didn't start until 8:30 AM with no exceptions. That is SO late even though it's island time. Because breakfast is included we were hoping we could get something to go, a drink voucher, etc. The concierge wouldn't budge. We had to be at the marina or miss/forfeit snorkel trip and $. This was a disappointment for us naturally. One reason I picked hotel was because breakfast was included and a good one according to reviews.

We didn't book Cabaret show at hotel even though we considered it. We did come back satisfied after great tapas and martinis at Martins - right down street on right hand side. Dave Boutle was in the Piano bar and has a good voice and personality. We did have a drink and dance to some of the music. This wraps up about midnight. The outside of the hotel, the small lobby, restaurant and piano bar are all updated. The rooms need some TLC.

We did go in the small pool which was warm and somewhat clean. We put wine in plastic cups we had brought and floated around with included noodles. The staff was friendly and talkative about things to see and do. The grounds looked decent. We never did see Cabaret room or any other guest rooms. We both enjoyed our breakfast of eggs and meat the 2nd morning.

We did go out the next night for Cuban food at El Meson de Pepe down near waterfront. I had a good Chicken dish with rice, beans and yucca. My friend had Grouper with veggies and rice. We both enjoyed our dinners. Thurs night low season there was a moderate amount of people out. Friday night was hopping. Both nights we found music to listen and dance to - from live bands to DJ's. Margaritaville was overated and the entertainment should of been much better.

La Te Da rooms could use an update - bedding, tiles and grout need replacing around sink, tub and toilet. They have the location and a certain charm already. It depends on your preferences.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Giv'atayim, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

the room is b-i-g, big bed and shower, and clean. The workers were extremely nice, and every morning we had a tasty breakfast- you can choose from yogurt, french toast or american breakfast and the choices are all good.
the location is excellent, on one of the main streets there and close to everything. had a great time there!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I've stayed at The La Te Da a handful of times in the last few years and the place remains awesome! The service is dynamite! Eric has been there for years at the front desk. He is very helpful and accommodating! The rates are very affordable. Cathy was our server for breakfast and was friendly and attentive. All the staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are awesome! The grounds are lush and tropical. The piano bar is fun and classy! The outdoor bar is such a fun time! I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody staying in Key West. You wont be disappointed! - Steve Pacitto

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to La Te Da Hotel? Share your experiences!