“fantastic, private island cottage” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Key Cottages, A Luxury Collection Resort, Key West

You added Sunset Key Cottages, A Luxury Collection Resort, Key West to your Saves list
Sunset Key Cottages, A Luxury Collection Resort, Key West
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   245 Front St, Key West, FL 33040 (Formerly Sunset Key Guest Cottages, A Westin Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Key West
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York, New York, United States
“fantastic, private island cottage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

i stayed here over thanksgiving with a couple of friends. we reserved a two-bedroom partial oceanview cottage for four nights, and it was spectacular. this resort is expensive, but worth it in my opinion if you want a cottage for a few nights...

we flew into key west and took a taxi directly to the Westin Key West Resort where we checked-in (per the instructions given to us on the spg.com website). it only took a few minutes to check-in - we received our cottage assignment and we were directed to the boat launch and were advised that we would be met on sunset key and accompanied to our cottage by resort staff. the boat ride over really set the tone for a great island getaway right off key west.

upon docking, we were met by a resort staff member who accompanied us to our cottage, pointed out all of the features, and made sure we had everything we needed. the cottage was spectacular - we had great views and it felt quite private. the colors were very soothing and relaxing. the two bedroom cottage had a room with a king bed and a room with two queen beds - each had their own bathrooms. there was a pull-out sofa in the living room and another bathroom. the seating area in the living room was comfortable. there was also a clean kitchen and a dining area. my favorite feature, however, was the wrap around porch with plenty of rocking chairs to sit and enjoy the tropical air. it was great to have space and an actual cottage instead of being in a hotel room. and although we only used the kitchen for the coffee maker and the fridge, it was again a good option. although there were some minor upkeep issues that needed to be done in the cottage (a hole on the bathroom door backstop, a missing decorative piece of the shutters, and so forth), i found the cottage to generally be in good shape. i am sure the cottages get some real wear and tear by the guests. i slept very well every evening - a very comfortable bed. a big bonus is that each room has an individually controlled A/C unit, so i was able to get my room to be as cold as an ice box.

the island itself was very relaxing. we enjoyed time by both the pool and beach, and we were offered service immediately in both places. the hot tubs were great to soak in at the end of the day, and we enjoyed walking around the island for exercise. i highly recommend going to the very west end of the island to watch sunset - it was gorgeous.

latitudes, the restaurant on the island, served a great breakfast - i love dining al fresco - and i am sure had a great lunch and dinner although we opted to go into town for other meals. the launch was every 30 minutes and we enjoyed being whisked back and forth from sunset key.

we did not need much interaction with the staff and cannot comment other than to say everyone was accommodating upon any request. one day our room was not cleaned until late in the day, but it was not an issue - we were there to relax and enjoy ourselves. we appreciated that we felt we were in a private home and could do what we wanted when we wanted.

this definitely is not the place for everyone, but if your idea of a great vacation is just relaxing in a cottage with friends or family, i cannot recommend this place enough.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, A Luxury Collection Resort, Key West, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the positive review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Marketing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Let me introduce myself as a seasoned traveler who has stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels of the world (Aman, Four Seasons, Banyan tree, Rosewood, Como, to name a few). When travelling, I like to pick my hotels by using websites such as Kiwicollection, Conde Nast magazine, Travel & Leisure (see my other reviews). So I only like the best of the best. This resort is not one of them (and should not be listed among the SPG category 7 hotels).

I expected my stay to be the grand finale of our Florida holiday (after stays at the W hotel south Beach and incredible St Regis Bal Harbor), but it was not. I cannot believe that SPG labels this as a category 7 hotel. Granted, the location on a private island is beautiful, and the on site restaurant is terrific (one of the best meals I ever enjoyed), but apart from that, we were confronted with an absolute lack of service:
- upon arrival at the island, nobody was there to greet us and we were completely confused as to where to check in.
- at the beach, service was non-existing for the 2 consecutive days that we were there. At a given point, we wanted to order some snacks, and finally after one hour a waiter appeared near our lounge chairs, but he told us that he had just finished his duty and could not take orders anymore. The staff absolutely needs more training.
- when we returned from the beach at 4 pm at our cottage, the room was not cleaned yet and the beds not made up. Totally not acceptable. We had to phone the operator to send someone over to clean the room. No apologies whatsoever.
- the sound of multiple lawnmowers immediately around the pool for more then 3 hours at midday during one of our 2 days on the island, was not acceptable. We came for rest, but we were totally irritated by this.
- wife was very variable (seems like a minor thing, but it is not when one is paying 100 USD resort fee per day).
- the pool decor is that of a mediocre 3 to 4 star hotel. Not 5 stars at all.
- to top things off, at check out, our bill included phone calls for more than 300 USD, while we had not made one single phone call while on the island. The staff at the front desk removed the charges (without apologies).

All by all, I think that this resort needs an urgent training of its staff and management. I also think that SPG should not longer include this in its list of SPG 7 category hotels (a category 5 hotel would be more appropriate). I spend more than 500 USD per night, and it certainly was not worth the experience at all (I even feel bad I spent that amount of money on this 3 to 4 star hotel).

If you do travel to the keys, and you want to stay on a luxurious island, your only choice is Little Palm Island. This will cost you a little more per night (100 to 200 USD) but the experience is so much more better, memorable and exclusive.

As an SPG platinum member, I can not recommend this hotel to my fellow travelers (except for its restaurant). I expect that the manager will comment on this review and stress the positive aspects of the hotel (restaurant) besides offering apologies for the bad experience, but it is such a pitty that nothing will be done to genuinly compensate for this bad experience, or to change the attitude of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Recently my wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Sunset Key in Key West Florida. This was truly a 5+ star experience.

A short boat ride from the mainland brought us to our destination and ran every half hour. The resort was immaculate, the staff professional and extremely friendly and helpful, as were the guests and owners on the property.

Our room was wonderful with a beautifully decorated living room, fully applianced kitchen and spacious bedroom. The room was stocked with my favorite wines and many beverage options.

The pool and pool bar were respectfully quiet. We enjoyed the two hot tubs and had the pleasure to meet and enjoy the company of many guests. The main restaurant Latitudes offered many dining options and we had the pleasure to enjoy our dinner beach side surrounded by torch lighting.

But the true highlight of our experience was the muffin man who delivered a beautiful basket of assorted muffins and fresh fruits to our doorstep each morning.

This was one of our favorite destinations and we will return often.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, A Luxury Collection Resort, Key West, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was our 2nd trip in 2 years - just a long weekend. Such a peaceful and secluded ambiance.. if you are looking for wild & crazy.. it's over in Key West - this place is for peace, quiet & seclusion. Our cottage was a 2BR/3Bath - small full kitchen w/dining area and front room with pull out couch. We had 5 people... one slept on the pull out. Cottage was clean without any problems. They bring you a basket of bread & fruit in the morning - orange juice & water @ night. Enjoyed Latitudes only for Breakfast - food was excellent and order was accurate. Dan (aka Johnny B Good) has a great sense of humor (thank you!). There are only a couple things that keep me from giving it the 5 stars it SHOULD have - especially for what you should expect. 1 - used the gym (nice equipment) NO antiseptic wipes anywhere! - had to use a paper towel and cool water to wipe down equipment (yuck) - very unexpected from a place of this caliber.. 2 - the bedrooms have small shutters - they light up as soon as the sun is up and stay lit up at night by the street lamps.. would like to see something more light blocking - especially @ night. We will return & hopefully 1 and 2 will be gone!!

Room Tip: I don't think you can get a bad cottage here - the locations are all full or partial ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, A Luxury Collection Resort, Key West, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation on Sunset Key and the amenities we offer. We do have antiseptic wipes in the fitness center. It is mounted to the wall and looks like a paper dispenser next to the water cooler toward the back right side of the center. Thanks again for taking the time to write this review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed in the two bedroom Bimini cottage directly on the beach. We enjoyed sitting on the front porch eating dinner and listening to the ocean. We also loved that breakfast is delivered in a picnic basket to your cottage every morning.
The beach is very private and has hammocks and beach huts for your enjoyment.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, A Luxury Collection Resort, Key West, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Key West, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I was soooo excited when my husband finally agreed to go to Lattitudes for lunch after 6 years for my birthday on Saturday, November 16. We came at 2:15pm and after being given nasty glares from the resort guests (ritzy) on the boat ride over I was certain my experienxe would change for the better. Boy was I wrong! My expectations were well within reason. All I had hoped for was a spectacular view, 5* service and an enjoyable lunch with my husband. To start, the boat captain was stale. No persoanble hi welcome or whatnot. Then the dock was being fixed so we were welcomed to sawing and hammering. We had to ask where to be sat. Again, fail! The host was kind nut once we were sat we were forgotten. Of several tables available we were planted next to a loud group of men. We sat unattended for 15 minutes before a rude waiter walked over and unapologetically said he was busy so sorry he was late. He then abruptly barked for us to give our order. He xame back with our drinks and thought it was funny when he couldnt remember who got what to drink. Our food xame out fine and tasted okay. Expected it to be better considering our bill was nearly $75 for lunch and non alcoholic beverages. I was completely disappointed with my entire experience minus the company of my husband. Needless to say I will not return, and as an individual who works in the tourist industry in key west (local) I will not refer anyone to this establishment. I much prefer the professional, high quality experience at little palm island. Tip: get a staff renovation for your restaurant. Anyone who works in the industry knows its a team effort. The fact that no one met our basic needs means everyone failed.

• Stayed November 2013
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We have never been to the Key West area before so when some friends from Florida suggested we go there, but stay on the private island of Sunset Key, it was perfect. Key West can be chaotic, noisy and crowded so when we were ready to "escape", we got on the shuttle boat and returned to the quiet of the island. The complimentary morning breakfast breads and juice were adequate but if you wanted more, you could go to the 5 star restaurant, Latitudes. After a busy day in town, the pool cafe and bar was fun and relaxing. We also had a wonderful dinner at Latitudes (with sunset) and it was one of the best we had. There were 3 couples in our group and we had a 3 bedroom cottage with full kitchen and living room. You could cook but we didn't because of all of the outstanding restaurants in Key West. Bedrooms were very comfortable and all had a private bathroom. I highly recommend this place and will go back.

Room Tip: All cottages are great. The ones with the garden view instead of the beach view are just as good and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, A Luxury Collection Resort, Key West, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Marketing Director

Been to Sunset Key Cottages, A Luxury Collection Resort, Key West? Share your experiences!