“Great Place To Visit !” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 83 Attractions in Key West
Type: Specialty Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The strangest place in Key West! A museum of the odd, bizarre, and unusual. Featuring over 500 exhibits in nearly 10,000 square feet of air conditioned comfort. As seen on TV. Your self guided tour will take you through 13 themed galleries containing some of the most unusual objects, items, and collections, in the world. Robert Ripley traveled to over 200 countries in his lifetime collecting oddities everywhere he went. Featured items include: a shrunken human torso which once belonged to renowned writer, Ernest Hemingway. We also display Hemingway's own typewriter and reading glasses! As you enter Ripley's Key West Museum, you walk under a prehistoric Mastodon skeleton, stroll past a car completely covered in US dimes, and come face to face with the world's tallest man, Robert Wadlow, who at age 22, stood an amazing 8' 11" tall! Take a picture with him and his 9ft ruler to see how you compare. And that's just the lobby! Inside you'll see video clips from the top rated TBS television series starring Dean Cain, stand next to Miracle, the actual white buffalo who’s odds of being born pure white are one in ten million, then try your best to remain upright as you inch your way through the Vortex Tunnel, a totally mind-blowing experience. And that's still not all! Meet the world's heaviest man, a shark attack survivor, and the original vampire known as Vlad The Impaler. But don't worry, because we also have a vampire killing kit... just in case.
York, Maine
“Great Place To Visit !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have visited a few Ripley’s, particularly I have visited the one in Key West twice, once about 2 years ago and most recently a few days ago. I have not used tripadvisor in a long time because it is completely opinionated and I rarely trust reviews on here, but when exiting the man at the door handed us a card with tripadvisor information on it and figured I would come give my two cents. We paid about $14 per person which wasn’t bad considering some of the other prices for the island activities. Both times I have had a great time. This year it seems they have changed the place with a new entry area and though not much, a few new things upstairs. The counter staff was extremely nice and even though we walked through alone periodically someone would stop and offer to take a picture for us with our camera and ask us if we had any questions. My niece (16years old) really enjoyed it and I found it to be a combination of nostalgia, history lesson and plain old fun. If you visit ask the staff questions because they are full of information! Ask them to tell you the story about the national anthem…That amazed us! The place is huge in comparison to other places on island and nicely air conditioned. There were a lot of people when we strolled through and what seemed to be a school group. I don’t have small children but those in that large group seemed to enjoy it bouncing all over the place. They were also nice enough to let us back in to use the rest room even after we left. Warning if you are visiting key west there are no public restrooms on the streets

Cory B Bryan
York Beach, Maine

Visited June 2012
Anthony S, General Manager at Ripley's Believe It Or Not, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Hello Mr. Bryan, Thank you so much for such a wonderful review. More important I truly am more happy that you and your niece enjoyed your visit through our Odditorium. As you noted we do have a new lobby and we have added 50 new exhibits during our December Renovations. Since you have visited the Odditorium twice before I hope you will do so again in the future and next time please ask for me so I may say hello! Thank you again and have a great day!

Stockholm, Sverige
8 attraction reviews
“I knew it was bad but entered anyway”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have a long history with "Ripleys Believe it or not". More than 10 years ago I heard about it for the first time in Copenhagen, and I soon realised that it was a really bad museum - but in a good way. For me, that is. I guess the majority thinks that this kind of bad is really bad and not worth wasting any money. But some things are so bad it finally turns up good.

When we stopped at the entrance, the guy handing out the flyers seemed confused. Probably because he didn't had to convince us that this museum was fantastic. We knew. When we wanted to pay to come inside, he asked us which cruise ship we were going with. I guess they has a lot of deals with the cruise ships. When we said that we didn't came from a cruise ship, he got even more confused. Or just thought we were really stupid ones.

When inside, it was bigger than i thought. Of course, lots of it were just information on the wall about "amazing" stuff, and nothing had any kind of source information so mostly it felt mostly just like old stories that once were told in front of a bonfire. Some of it were intresting eye-openers, though. They had a lot of stuff too, both original things and copies in plastic. And here and there they had machines that costed one quarter or one dollar. Like one stupid fortune-teller named Zoltan that gave me a pre-printed card with some random information of my destiny.

But, all in all, I like this kind of stupid stuff when I'm in the right mood, so even though the price were way too high (14 dollar!) it brought some good and silly laughter among us.

We only saw two other people inside the big museum. Probably some people from the cruise ship.

I doubt that I would return, but it was a different kind of sight to see anyway.

Visited January 2013
Anthony S, Manager at Ripley's Believe It Or Not, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Hello,

I am sorry that you felt our Odditorium deserved such a low review, though it seems that it was premeditated before you went in. The majority of unsatisfactory experience in your review seem based on our questioning if you were on the cruise. I want to assure you that we do not offer any special discounts at the door dependent on where you are coming from (cruise ship or elsewhere) we ask our customers because we do like to know where everyone is visiting from. I am glad based on the rest of your review that you at least somewhat enjoyed the museum and its artifacts. If you ever decide to revisit please ask for me and I will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have. Thank you for visiting Ripley's Key West.

Anthony S.
Key West, Florida
“Beyond Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Wow! What an incredible experience our 4th grade class had at Ripley's Believe It or Not! We contacted the manager, Billy Sibilly, before our arrival date to set up the logistics. He was absolutely customer oriented and gave us the royal treatment. Mr. Sibilly had everything ready for us upon our arrival. The 50 fourth graders and the 16 chaperones were greated warmly and professionally. Mr. Sibilly had armed our class with a scavenger hunt and information paper electronically, so they were ready to really learn and not JUST look. We spent a full 2 hours in Ripley's discussing the oddities and the children really enjoyed the Key West artifacts there (it was a great contection for them). As such a large group, we never once felt that we were taking too much time nor that we were not being appreciated for being there. We have even been invited back and the children CANNOT WAIT to go see the new artificats on display. Thank you Mr. Siblilly and crew for taking such wonederful care of your community children. This was many of the children's first time visit and I know a few have gone back with their whole family. Many new discussions have come about due to our visit. Our trip can only be descirbed as fun, inspirational, and very educational. Thank you again!

Visited October 2012
Anthony S, Manager at Ripley's Believe It Or Not, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Hello! Thank you so much for the 5 star review! The entire team remembers your group and we always love when students come in to the museum and show a genuine interest! We really look foward to a revisit so you can see all the renovations and new exhibits. Please contact me before the next visit so we can give you an updated scavenger hunt that includes all the new exhibits.
Thank you again for visiting and we hope to see you soon!
Stuart, Florida
23 attraction reviews
“Oh please do not waste your money!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband refused to go inside but the children begged. Completely a waste of money and time. All pictures and wax figures that are hardly believable.. beleive it or not. NOT...

Visited July 2012
Anthony S, Manager at Ripley's Believe It Or Not, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Hello,

I am sorry that you felt our museum deserved only a one start rating. Even though you and your husband did not want to go in I truly hope that your children enjoyed it. I assure you that all our exhibit information are true and verified, but if there is anything particular that you would like verification on please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Have a great day!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
14 attraction reviews
“Surprisingly Entertaining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was one place I wanted to go even though I had pretty low expectations about it. I actually REALLY enjoyed it! Just when you think you will be seeing an exit sign soon it the museum just keeps going and going which is a nice surprise. My husband and I had a fun experience here and lots of laughs. All of the staff members were super friendly too.

Visited December 2012
Hello Triptravel1234 (if that even is your real name lol)

Thank you so much for that great review. What pleases me more than the review is that you truly enjoyed your visit. Im glad you visited in December, because we added so many new and interesting exhibits during our renovations that there is so much to keep us occupied. I say "us" because yes...every once in a while you may see me making faces in the mirror or walking through the vortex tunnel...just for fun :)

Thanks again and hope you visit again. If you do ask for me and say hi! I love meeting our guests.