“I knew it was bad but entered anyway” 2 of 5 stars

and up
Key West Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley Tour
Ranked #87 of 187 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: The strangest place in Key West! A museum of the odd, bizarre, and unusual. Featuring over 550 exhibits in 10,000 square feet of air conditioned comfort. As seen on TV. Your self guided tour will take you through 15 themed galleries containing some of the most unusual objects, items, and collections, in the world. Robert Ripley traveled to over 200 countries in his lifetime collecting oddities everywhere he went. Featured items include: a shrunken human torso which once belonged to renowned writer, Ernest Hemingway. We also display Hemingway's own typewriter and reading glasses! As you enter Ripley's Key West Museum, you can now take part in making your very own personal souvenir Wax Hands! Stroll pass Matchstick art and singing robots to enter the world of the bizzar. Inside you'll see video clips from the top rated TBS television series starring Dean Cain, stand next to Miracle, the actual white buffalo who's odds of being born pure white are one in ten million, then try your best to remain upright as you inch your way through the Vortex Tunnel, a totally mind-blowing experience. And that's still not all! Take a selfie next to a life size replica of the worlds tallest man or capture your shadow on a wall. Purchase Tickets online for discount pricing! Now featuring a new attraction...Ripley's Haunted Lock-Down. Come explore our historic building at night as we lock you in after hours, provide you with your own spirit hunting equipment and guide you through our haunted experiences and haunted artifacts. Investigated and Endorsed by Nationally Respected Author and Ghost Hunter David Sloan and Renowned Psychic Medium Dawn Michelle. Reservations Required
Stockholm, Sverige
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I knew it was bad but entered anyway”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have a long history with "Ripleys Believe it or not". More than 10 years ago I heard about it for the first time in Copenhagen, and I soon realised that it was a really bad museum - but in a good way. For me, that is. I guess the majority thinks that this kind of bad is really bad and not worth wasting any money. But some things are so bad it finally turns up good.

When we stopped at the entrance, the guy handing out the flyers seemed confused. Probably because he didn't had to convince us that this museum was fantastic. We knew. When we wanted to pay to come inside, he asked us which cruise ship we were going with. I guess they has a lot of deals with the cruise ships. When we said that we didn't came from a cruise ship, he got even more confused. Or just thought we were really stupid ones.

When inside, it was bigger than i thought. Of course, lots of it were just information on the wall about "amazing" stuff, and nothing had any kind of source information so mostly it felt mostly just like old stories that once were told in front of a bonfire. Some of it were intresting eye-openers, though. They had a lot of stuff too, both original things and copies in plastic. And here and there they had machines that costed one quarter or one dollar. Like one stupid fortune-teller named Zoltan that gave me a pre-printed card with some random information of my destiny.

But, all in all, I like this kind of stupid stuff when I'm in the right mood, so even though the price were way too high (14 dollar!) it brought some good and silly laughter among us.

We only saw two other people inside the big museum. Probably some people from the cruise ship.

I doubt that I would return, but it was a different kind of sight to see anyway.

Visited January 2013
Anthony S, Manager at Ripley's Believe It Or Not, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Hello,

I am sorry that you felt our Odditorium deserved such a low review, though it seems that it was premeditated before you went in. The majority of unsatisfactory experience in your review seem based on our questioning if you were on the cruise. I want to assure you that we do not offer any special discounts at the door dependent on where you are coming from (cruise ship or elsewhere) we ask our customers because we do like to know where everyone is visiting from. I am glad based on the rest of your review that you at least somewhat enjoyed the museum and its artifacts. If you ever decide to revisit please ask for me and I will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have. Thank you for visiting Ripley's Key West.

Anthony S.

Key West, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beyond Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Wow! What an incredible experience our 4th grade class had at Ripley's Believe It or Not! We contacted the manager, Billy Sibilly, before our arrival date to set up the logistics. He was absolutely customer oriented and gave us the royal treatment. Mr. Sibilly had everything ready for us upon our arrival. The 50 fourth graders and the 16 chaperones were greated warmly and professionally. Mr. Sibilly had armed our class with a scavenger hunt and information paper electronically, so they were ready to really learn and not JUST look. We spent a full 2 hours in Ripley's discussing the oddities and the children really enjoyed the Key West artifacts there (it was a great contection for them). As such a large group, we never once felt that we were taking too much time nor that we were not being appreciated for being there. We have even been invited back and the children CANNOT WAIT to go see the new artificats on display. Thank you Mr. Siblilly and crew for taking such wonederful care of your community children. This was many of the children's first time visit and I know a few have gone back with their whole family. Many new discussions have come about due to our visit. Our trip can only be descirbed as fun, inspirational, and very educational. Thank you again!

Visited October 2012
Anthony S, Manager at Ripley's Believe It Or Not, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Hello! Thank you so much for the 5 star review! The entire team remembers your group and we always love when students come in to the museum and show a genuine interest! We really look foward to a revisit so you can see all the renovations and new exhibits. Please contact me before the next visit so we can give you an updated scavenger hunt that includes all the new exhibits.
Thank you again for visiting and we hope to see you soon!
Stuart, Florida
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Oh please do not waste your money!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband refused to go inside but the children begged. Completely a waste of money and time. All pictures and wax figures that are hardly believable.. beleive it or not. NOT...

Visited July 2012
Anthony S, Manager at Ripley's Believe It Or Not, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Hello,

I am sorry that you felt our museum deserved only a one start rating. Even though you and your husband did not want to go in I truly hope that your children enjoyed it. I assure you that all our exhibit information are true and verified, but if there is anything particular that you would like verification on please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Have a great day!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Surprisingly Entertaining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was one place I wanted to go even though I had pretty low expectations about it. I actually REALLY enjoyed it! Just when you think you will be seeing an exit sign soon it the museum just keeps going and going which is a nice surprise. My husband and I had a fun experience here and lots of laughs. All of the staff members were super friendly too.

Visited December 2012
Hello Triptravel1234 (if that even is your real name lol)

Thank you so much for that great review. What pleases me more than the review is that you truly enjoyed your visit. Im glad you visited in December, because we added so many new and interesting exhibits during our renovations that there is so much to keep us occupied. I say "us" because yes...every once in a while you may see me making faces in the mirror or walking through the vortex tunnel...just for fun :)

Thanks again and hope you visit again. If you do ask for me and say hi! I love meeting our guests.

Concord, New Hampshire
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“All hype”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Nothing much too this place. Nothing real, just reproductions of things that were once odd. Waste of money.

Anthony S, Manager at Ripley's Believe It Or Not, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Hello Gill,

Im sorry that you feel in your visit to Ripley's Key West as not as valuable as anticipated. Unfortnuatly you were miss informed, all exhibits in our Odditorium are authentic unless otherwise stated. Hence our namesake..."Believe It or Not! becuase its all true whether you want to believe it or not! As I have mentioned to some others, Mr. Ripley himself worked directly with a professional researcher and to this day our Director of Archives ensures the authenthicity of every time and informatoin that is brought into our warehouse and Odditoriums. There are a very few that are replicas of an original unique work, but those few are stated as reproductions. Roughly 95% of the over 500 exhibits in our Oddtiorium are the genuine artifact. Also Im not sure when you visited but we have been closed for renovations and are planning a reopen in mid December with tons of new exhibits and an entire new experience. Even with the ongoing renovations people have line up outside our glass doors intrigued by the new look and items moving into the lobby alone. I hope you will take the time to visit Ripley's again and see the changes.