“Fun and Friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Equator

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Equator
818 Fleming Street, Key West, FL   |
Ranked #55 of 98 Key West B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Fun and Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

My partern and I have stayed at the Equator many times and will return again and again. We visit Key West frequently and would not consider staying anywhere else. The staff, Gary, Rocco, Billy and Jay do everything possible to make our visit pleasant. They are always willing to offer advise or make reservations for you at local venues. Like us, many of the guests are return visitors. It is like a second home to may of us. We love it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

150 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed here several times, my partner and myself were disappointed this time around. The room was never mopped during our entire visit. We had to wash our feet before going to bed since the floor was so filthy.
The breakfast has been reduced to stale bagels.
Very rowdy and noisy guests prevented us from sleeping. When the management was contacted, we were told to call the police. No staff came to deal with the situation . We felt we were not treated very well this visi and the request for a 10% gratuity is ridiculous .

• Stayed December 2011
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011 via mobile

OK place. Hopefully you probably won't spend a lot of time in your room. The othe guests are cordial and some are actually quite friendly.

I would only recommend as a second or third choice.

• Stayed December 2011
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

The latest trip for me and my partner was December 2010. The new upper sun deck was just added, it's nice, a little secluded. The pool is not really small, but you can't do laps. I just get in the hot tub, switch to the pool to cool off, and back to hot tub. We've met some nice guys, some international travelers and there's always a mix of ages and singles/couples. The staff has always been very helpful and accommodating. The rooms and bathrooms are always clean, although we did have one issue with a smelly air conditioner. Of course, the larger King rooms have correspondingly nicer bathrooms.
I will say I really enjoy the happy hour- free drinks by the pool. It's great after a long day of vacationing, to come back to the resort, relax in/by the pool and have a drink or two while deciding where to do dinner. It seems almost all the guests do this, and it's fun to meet and talk with everybody. A tip- be careful about having an enthusiastic happy hour and then having a free bottle of wine with dinner, as some restaurants offer.
Breakfasts are generally good, I like a light breakfast. The offerings won't challenge restaurant fare, but if you'd like something more you can easily find it within two blocks' walk (I'd go to Island Joe's coffee shop). There's usually one hot item (some sort of egg dish, varies daily) plus fruit, yogurt, cereal, waffles and pancakes. The coffee is also good, and I'm picky.
We really enjoy Key West, and the Equator does enhance our stays there. It's not perfect, no place is. The staff is what makes us come back again.

Room Tip: King rooms have nicer and bigger bathrooms, better for couples. Room #27 is in the main building ne...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
West Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I have just returned from staying at the Equator Resort. I have stayed in Key West on a number of occasions in other gay properties, but after reading reviews on this site decided to try the Equator. I am so glad I did stay here. From the minute I checked in the staff were polite, friendly and helpful. The room was perfect, clean and tidy. There was a really nice atmosphere around the resort. I would definately recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Stayed at the Equator Resort October 5th and 6th, 2011. This is my second stay at this hotel. It has great personal service from Gary, to Jay to Billy and Rocco. Perfect location. You can park in front "for free",big plus and walk everywhere. No need to get back in your car until you checkout. Great small pool, perfect light continental breakfast and killer "Rum Runners" starting at 5pm each day, all complimentary. You will not go wrong with this gay men's hotel. You don't have to be gay to be a guest. Clothing optional sun bathing at the pool is perfect. They now have a teriffic upper deck for sun bathing. Pretty cool place and not to be missed if in Key West.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are perfect. I have seen most of them and no matter what you select you will love you...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Oakland Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

My partner and I had such a nice stay the month prior we revisited the Equator again in Oct. The staff is always very friendly and helpful. Once again our stay was very enjoyable and relaxing at this nice resort. We got a chance to stay in a different room this time. Although the room was not as nice asour first visit, it was still a large, clean room. The various rooms we saw were all nice and people with different tastes will like each room for their own reasons. Bottom line is that its a great place to stay, nice location and one of our favorite guest houses in Key West.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Equator? Share your experiences!