“A No Frill Residential Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coconut Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Coconut Beach Resort
You added Coconut Beach Resort to your Saves list
1500 Alberta Street, Key West, FL   |
Ranked #61 of 94 Key West B&B and Inns
Monroe, New Jersey
“A No Frill Residential Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

This place has just been renovated and everything is brand new (at least in the unit we rented) from big flat screen TV in every room to new furniture and kitchen appliances. It's not quite a "resort" in the sense that it doesn't have restaurant and service is minimum. It's like many other timeshare places. While it is on the waterfront with beach chairs facing the ocean, it does not have direct access to the beach but a concrete patio. If you like beach, you can take a short walk to the nearby Higgs Beach. The staff is courteous and helpful within limit. Free wireless internet access is available everywhere on the property. There are a couple of nice restaurants nearby, Louies Backyard and Southernmost Beach Cafe. The south end of Duval Street is about 5 min walk.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
North Port, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

We love the place. We are located on the quite side of the island. Duval Street is three blocks from here. We are on the far side of Duval it is a mile and a half walk to Mallory Square . Feel very safe walking there day or night. Staff friendly and helpful. Right on the ocean with a small private beach. The grounds are beautiful and the units have just been redone. The place is very clean and well kept.
We plan to come back again we have really enjoyed our stay here. Pool is decent size plenty of room and ocean is just down the steps.Spend a day on Duval Street and come home to rest. Plenty of very good restaurants within walking distance. Never took our car out of the parking garage. Used the trolley system that tours the area and allows you to get on and off at any of their stops and one of them is 3 blocks from the resort. Best of both worlds......everything Duval Street offers, and the quiet, relaxing atmosphere of Coconut Beach Resort.

Room Tip: Building C and D and the upper floors seem to be the best location.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Acworth, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

a Beautiful setting and very private. On the quiet side of the island. Very clean and great staff.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

The first time we came to Key West, we stayed at the Banyan Resort. While this was a great experience and a wonderful property, we enjoyed Coconut Beach so much more. The biggest factor for us was we could walk out of our room and be in the ocean within a matter of two minutes. It's not a huge beach, but it is access to the ocean without walking on coral! The views of the ocean are also spectacular, especially at sunrise.

The property is nice, the usual pool, hottub, etc. We were a little disappointed that the Tiki Bar was not staffed, so no "frozen concoctions" poolside. They did, however, share a fence with, "Louies Backyard," so we were able to get drinks in the evenings. I think we, "stumbled over to Louie's Backyard," at least twice during our vacation with a gate that opens right into the resort. :)

We were also disappointed with all the noise as they were renovating rooms. If there were no air hammers, drills, or circular saws running throughout the day, I would give this property an, "excellent," rating.

We stayed in a 2-bedroom unit on the second floor (D201), which had a fantastic view of the ocean! All the rooms share one long deck on each floor.

There were several families with kids there and we didn't mind because we have kids, so it must be kid friendly.

It is located near the Southernmost Point and Southernmost Beach Cafe, so if you are planning on going to Mallory Square to toast the sunset it is a little walk (1.5 miles I think). This was perfect for us. We like partying on Duval, but sometimes it's nice to hear nothing but the ocean when you get back to your room to relax.

So if you like a place that is off the beaten path, clean, and easy access to the ocean, this is the place for you!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Mahopac, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Coconut Beach Resort in KW is very kid friendly! We had our nearly 4 year old daughter and 1 year old nephew here and they loved it! We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit on the first floor and it was very accommodating for all 6 of us. The saltwater pool is wonderful and the resort had floats, noodles and various pool toys available for the kiddies as well as the adults. Our room smelled of fresh paint as it had just recently been completely renovated (I mean they finished the day before we checked in). This place has class and is nice and quiet, off the beaten path. So maybe if you have a bunch of obnoxious kids running rabid they might not be so "kid friendly" but for our well behaved children there was never anything to give us the notion that we weren't entirely welcome. The staff was very helpful especially the handyman, Sergie. The only issue I had was that the safe box had not been installed in the floor, but hey, nothing was taken from our rooms. There is construction going on currently but we weren't very bothered by it. And lets not forget about the beach...honestly I've found most KW beaches are not very appealing, so although it is a small private beach area, they rake the seaweed out every morning and when necessary. I would suggest renting a car/scooter if you are planning to do the Duval crawl often. Our neighbors and the other time share owners were extremely nice and lots of fun. So all in all this place is great! Ask for a newly renovated room!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I along with our two and a half year old son came to stay at this place. Lets start with the positive... very cute from outside, nice renovated Victorian style. Once we entered the office, the desk clerk instantly started dyeing our son who was just standing there being quiet. As he was checking us in... he gave us this big deal speach about how the room is only intended for two and when kids are present they get a lot of complaints, then he gives us a talk about how this time they'll make an exception but our son better be quiet. What a crappy way to welcome paying guests. This is not an "adult only" place and they have NO right to talk to guests this way. If I was in Soviet era Eastern Europe I'd expect this kind of treatment, but in the USA and when hotels and resorts are struggling to sell rooms. NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed August 2011
West Milford, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Reserved an efficiency unit for two nights. Based on the online photos, I thought I'd have a small kitchenette area, a nice beach, and an up to date bathroom. What I did have was a refridgerator in a closet (with no other closet for clothing), a "beach" that more resembeled a boat launch, and a bathroom full of mold and peeling paint. In addition, the TV that rested atop a VCR on the dresser looked as though it was from the early 90's. The place needs some major upgrades. The safe wasn't working, although I followed the reset directions, there seemed to be no power to it. When I called the front desk, a handyman was sent promptly. He took the back off the safe and reset it...then turned to me and said, "it works fine you should have followed the instructions"! This is only after I had told him that both my husband and myself had followed the instructions with no luck. I didn't remove any parts from the back of the safe door, as the handyman did...and removing parts was NOT part of the operating instructions. I was astounded at the level of disrespect and rude behavior. So, we go for a walk to see the rest of the facility (at this time I see the boat ramp beach) and we decide that this isn't the place for us. Walking into the front office was welcoming until I began speaking to the man behind the counter about being unhappy and asking him to cancel the next night. He immediately pawned me off on another employee. She did allow me to cancel the next night. Short after my cancellation of my second night, I went to my room to shower. There was NO hot water, I even went outside for a smoke while I waited for the water to warm. When I returned to bathroom, still no HOT water. When I called the front desk to complain about the lack of hot water, they nonchalantly advised me that they'd take a look at it in the morning!!! I was forced to take a cold shower. At that point, not only was I looking forward to checking out the next morning, but I was also looking to have a percentage of my first night's fee refunded. I spoke again to the man at the front desk, who didn't want anything to do with me at that point. He told me I'd have to speak to the manager the next morning. I spoke with her the next morning and she told me that I'd have to speak to another manager the next morning and that he would contact me. It was three days later that I finally spoke with that manager, and that was only after I had to call the resort and complain again. That manager refused to return even a portion of my first night's fee, which was WAY too much for a outdated bathroom, a cold shower, and a boat launch.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Coconut Beach Resort? Share your experiences!