We booked four nights here, after reading previous tripadvisor reviews. We felt fairly confident that we would not be disappointed, based on previous experiences with tripadvisor. However, we felt that the M and the A surpassed our expectations. Physically, it is a wonderful facility, inside and out. The landscaping is beyond adequately describing - possibly "tropical paradise" comes close. The rooms are tastefully decorated, spotlessly clean, and everything is in good repair. We stayed in the "Papaya Room" which is one of three located in the cottage behind the home. It is one of the smaller rooms, yet was more than adequate for the two of us. The bath was nicely sized and very well lit (we find this to be an exception compared to most B and B's). Breakfasts were excellent, and were served outside, around the pool. The evening wine was a nice and appreciated touch. Geri was the "Gold Standard" in concierge matters. She gave good advice about things to do and see, as well as dining suggestions and accomplished making reservations for us without a hitch. The M and the A is so perfectly located in old town, that we walked to dinner three out of the four nights. Geri arranged a charter boat for us for a six hour cruise. This was an excellent and memorable experience for us. Her pick, Captain Tommy, gave us a perfect day, sightseeing, fishing, and dolphin-watching. Dean and Paul, the owners, are "hands on" guys, much involved in the day to day operations. They run a first class operation. Of all the dozens of B and B's we've been to, this one eclipses all the rest.
- Also Known As:
- The Mermaid & The Alligator Hotel
- The Mermaid & The Alligator Hotel Key West
- The Mermaid And The Alligator
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the casual elegance and style of a more relaxed age. Our beautiful circa 1904 Victorian Home, located in the heart of Old Town Key West, offers the warm hospitality of a traditional bed & breakfast while providing our guest a place to relax, enjoy the ambiance, and even shut out the rest of the world if you choose. Join us and feel at home. ... more less