“Absolutely amazing Bed and Breakfast!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mermaid & The Alligator

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Mermaid & The Alligator
729 Truman Avenue, Key West, FL 33040   |
Special Offer
Free parking
Ranked #3 of 98 Key West B&B and Inns
“Absolutely amazing Bed and Breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful and clean accommodations. Lusciously decorated for the holidays. The grounds are a tropical paradise and it is in a prime location for old town Key West. The Garden Room was just exquisite. Dean, Paul, Rebecca and Geri were great hosts, provided wondeful breakfasts and held an awesome Christmas Parade party.

• Stayed December 2012

566 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Skipton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We are lucky to have just returned from a wonderful 10 night stay at this magical historic inn - sadly though as we could quite happily have stayed much longer, it felt like home.
As everyone has said, the inn and gardens are beautiful, in fact we chose to be married there, by Geri who was superb, and with thanks to Dean and Paul for allowing us to, we had a very special quiet ceremony just for 2. A special day.
We stayed in Royal Poinciana which was perfect....loved the decor and the footstep up to bed I will miss! The large covered balcony was great for chilling before going back out after a busy hot day in Key West, and had a lovely breeze most days. Because we were there awhile, we spotted a few of the other rooms, all looked lovely.
It was a privilege to watch as Dean and Paul added wonderful new christmas decorations around the inn and grounds day by day in preparation for the holidays. Attention to detail, little touches and an eye for beautiful artwork - totally relaxing, beautiful, homely inn, unpretentious, unintrusive yet always on hand to help, friendly - with a team of wonderful staff - I could go on.
We loved relaxing in the downstairs rooms with Caya and Havana sat nearby - bliss!!
The breakfasts were great each morning, and as others have said the little extras such as snacks, wine, beach towels etc etc etc.
We walked quite a bit during our stay and the inn is an easy 10-15 mins stroll to many great restaurants, and of course Duval etc. The Mermaid and Alligator was a wonderful retreat at the end of a busy day.
So, after much planning, and expectation, we couldnt have asked for more from our stay here and we will definitely be returning.
Thank you again to Dean & Paul, Geri, Rebecca and the whole team! Pics to post soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Spain ...... but Scottish
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Sat nav took us right to The Mermaid & Alligator which was absolutely beautiful........
Main house was cool & dark with interesting artifacts, opening into a lovely kitchen area with guest fridge full of sodas n water & then to a shady rear patio were the happy hour wine & savoury cake were laid out.
Our Bamboo Rm with it's own terrace & beautiful interior was a few steps into the tropical garden with hammock , loungers, water feature, tented seating area etc. Bed was very cofortable & the attention to detail is exceptional .... right down to the 'sound effects' box which had us sleeping to the sound of reaig waves each night!
The small but deep pool was lovely, with spa jets beneath the sculpture which gives the house it's name.
Dean & Paul are gracious hosts and Geri & Rebecca took very good care of us. Enjoyed breakfast by the pool each morning. Plenty of recommendations for local restaurants - Cafe Sole with it's famous Hog Snapper was our favourite!

Room Tip: Bamboo room in the beautiful gardens, was spacious with large sitting area inside and private terrac...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in the Caribbean room and loved it. Once you go into the backyard and experience the garden and sounds of the birds, you'll never want to leave and explore Key West. You will be very well taken care of while you are there and no request is a bother for them. The two 4 legged girls will also make sure you keep active throwing their head-less toys for them (squeekers long removed). Very close to the action yet far enough away to enjoy the properties quiet pool and sitting areas.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great.
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at this B&B. The staff, house, grounds and location are fantastic. The staff went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. We loved the location and had a lot of fun trying the local restaurants and biking around town. We would definitely stay here again.

Furnes Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was our first trip to Florida and Key West, and what a pleasant surprise to find this wonderful place nicelly located in the centre of Key West. Dean and his staff was so friendly and helpful regarding every need we had, and the calm and quiet atmosphere in the beautiful garden was very relaxing. The rooms are beautifully decorated and spacious, and the breakfast was delicious - and varied from day to day.
The only thing we wold like to change- if possible, was to spend a few more days at The Mermaid & The Alligator!

Room Tip: We think the room faceing the garden is quiter.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

As an Australian Key West had always been a bucket place for me...Mainly due to the fact that it's not your typical US big city and i'd always been curious to know what it looked like. A friend of mine who used to work on cruise ships had been and raved about it, So i knew on my latest trip to the US i wasn't missing out!

After tossing up between "Alexanders" and "The Mermaid" i finally decided to stay at The mermaid.

I started dealing with Geri via email and she was a delight from the get go! Very knowledgeable with advice, Had some great suggestions and everything was handled immediately. I booked the "Royal Poinciana" suite and was there for 3 nights from Wed oct 17 to Sat Oct 20.

So after making my way to the States and a few days in NY it was time to go to Key West, I flew in via Tampa and took a cab to the house getting in at 9pm. ($8...so cheap!) i unwittingly ended up at the side door but some fellow guests soon saw me and very kindly let me in,

Paul and Dean were in the Kitchen and immediately made me feel welcome and my first impression was they seemed like really nice guys (I hope they don't mind my saying this but they're a cute couple! :0)

Paul graciously took me upstairs, showed me my room and explained about the house and quietly exited so i could rest up and decide if i wanted to do anything that night.

My first impression of the room? They have done an excellent job! The fittings and touches are very elegant, i loved the fact the room had a Brookstone sound machine (I actually ended up buying one before i came home!) and it was very spacious.....Even little touches like the books in the bookshelf, I was really impressed.

The bathroom was a decent size, The tolietries were high quality (Were they Aveda?) and again they did a great job.

The room was serviced each day.

The next morning i woke up to a thunderstorm with quite a bit of ferociousness and i was concerned it may impact the whole day...Fortunately it was gone by 10am, After getting up, dressed and showered i headed downstairs and finally met Geri, They were using the dining table due to the storm (breakfast is usually outside served at the tables by the pool) and i met my fellow houseguests....They were from Colorado, Texas, New Jersey and were all friendly and welcoming...it really did feel like a extended family environment (Hi to any of them who may read this) Breakfast was buffet however each morning Geri/Paul etc will cook one speciality item and offer it to you, In any event it was delicious!

After breakfast and bidding adieu to my fellow houseguests as they left to do their various activities i sat down with Geri and planned my day, My first full day i took the Hop On, Hop Off Bus and went through various points of the island such as the Southernmost point, The hemingway Museum (I got off and did the tour....very much worth it and fascinating) Duval Street, Mallory Square etc.

I ended up walking back to the B&B from Duval and it's only 4 blocks...it was very handy to be able to walk to Duval and surrounding streets for dinner each night and at the same time be far enough removed that you dont get all the club/bar noises/patrons stumbling around.

Would i recommend any restaurants/Pubs? The best one i found was actually a suggestion from Geri/Dean/Paul called 2 cents on Applerouth Lane just off Duvall (Not far from the Mallory Square end) i had some really nice fish (Grouper i think) from memory, It's also handy to know there is a Haagen Daaz for dessert nearby!

My second full day Geri had booked me onto "Danger Charters" for a snorkelling/kayaking trip, i woke up a little late but Geri very kindly organised me a cab and i got there with time to spare. It was fantastic! Saw lots of wildlife and sea creatures, we even had dolphins come up to the boat, i met people from all over the US and Europe and lounging on the sandbar in the middle of the ocean was a weird but amazing experience, The kayaking was fun (Except the fact we had a lot of jellyfish around that day) and the snorkelling (No jellies in that area fortunately) was definitely a highlight as i spotted a Manta Eel and Stingray.

My last day i was dissapointed to be leaving as Gooberfest and Fantasy Fest had just started to kick off but Paul made a great omelette for breakfast and i was talking to some nice people from Chicago.

Rebecca checked me out and she also seemed really friendly. Geri had pre organised a shuttle to Fort Lauderdale for me and sure enough they picked me up punctually and got me up there safely.

Now for Caya and Havana..... This was another reason i picked this inn as i'm a dog person and it made me feel even more at home having these two around....They really are the "Southern Belles" of this home,

Caya being a little younger seemed a little more playful and loved her stuffed toys and having all these people to play with, Havana was also friendly and i enjoyed patting them in the evenings although they were pretty tired after a long day of playing....What a life!

i never used the pool as truthfully i ran out of time but it looked very inviting!

There was a church across the road, i personally found the bells kind of charming!

Unfortunately Key West is not a short journey for me....However i will say i will be back! (This time with friends) i had such a great time and found it to be the most quaint little town i really did not want to leave!

Thankyou again for everything Paul, Dean, Geri and Rebecca & housekeepers...you really do run a piece of paradise so to speak down there and i can honestly say your Inn was the highlight of my trip.

And on a side note to Paul: You remarked when i first got there how light my suitcases were....Just in case you were interested they were both overweight as i told you they would be by the time i checked in to go home! Haha!

Will definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Mermaid & The Alligator? Share your experiences!