“Incredible!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mermaid & The Alligator

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Mermaid & The Alligator
729 Truman Avenue, Key West, FL 33040   |
Special Offer
Free parking
Ranked #3 of 98 Key West B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Incredible!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

As an Australian Key West had always been a bucket place for me...Mainly due to the fact that it's not your typical US big city and i'd always been curious to know what it looked like. A friend of mine who used to work on cruise ships had been and raved about it, So i knew on my latest trip to the US i wasn't missing out!

After tossing up between "Alexanders" and "The Mermaid" i finally decided to stay at The mermaid.

I started dealing with Geri via email and she was a delight from the get go! Very knowledgeable with advice, Had some great suggestions and everything was handled immediately. I booked the "Royal Poinciana" suite and was there for 3 nights from Wed oct 17 to Sat Oct 20.

So after making my way to the States and a few days in NY it was time to go to Key West, I flew in via Tampa and took a cab to the house getting in at 9pm. ($8...so cheap!) i unwittingly ended up at the side door but some fellow guests soon saw me and very kindly let me in,

Paul and Dean were in the Kitchen and immediately made me feel welcome and my first impression was they seemed like really nice guys (I hope they don't mind my saying this but they're a cute couple! :0)

Paul graciously took me upstairs, showed me my room and explained about the house and quietly exited so i could rest up and decide if i wanted to do anything that night.

My first impression of the room? They have done an excellent job! The fittings and touches are very elegant, i loved the fact the room had a Brookstone sound machine (I actually ended up buying one before i came home!) and it was very spacious.....Even little touches like the books in the bookshelf, I was really impressed.

The bathroom was a decent size, The tolietries were high quality (Were they Aveda?) and again they did a great job.

The room was serviced each day.

The next morning i woke up to a thunderstorm with quite a bit of ferociousness and i was concerned it may impact the whole day...Fortunately it was gone by 10am, After getting up, dressed and showered i headed downstairs and finally met Geri, They were using the dining table due to the storm (breakfast is usually outside served at the tables by the pool) and i met my fellow houseguests....They were from Colorado, Texas, New Jersey and were all friendly and welcoming...it really did feel like a extended family environment (Hi to any of them who may read this) Breakfast was buffet however each morning Geri/Paul etc will cook one speciality item and offer it to you, In any event it was delicious!

After breakfast and bidding adieu to my fellow houseguests as they left to do their various activities i sat down with Geri and planned my day, My first full day i took the Hop On, Hop Off Bus and went through various points of the island such as the Southernmost point, The hemingway Museum (I got off and did the tour....very much worth it and fascinating) Duval Street, Mallory Square etc.

I ended up walking back to the B&B from Duval and it's only 4 blocks...it was very handy to be able to walk to Duval and surrounding streets for dinner each night and at the same time be far enough removed that you dont get all the club/bar noises/patrons stumbling around.

Would i recommend any restaurants/Pubs? The best one i found was actually a suggestion from Geri/Dean/Paul called 2 cents on Applerouth Lane just off Duvall (Not far from the Mallory Square end) i had some really nice fish (Grouper i think) from memory, It's also handy to know there is a Haagen Daaz for dessert nearby!

My second full day Geri had booked me onto "Danger Charters" for a snorkelling/kayaking trip, i woke up a little late but Geri very kindly organised me a cab and i got there with time to spare. It was fantastic! Saw lots of wildlife and sea creatures, we even had dolphins come up to the boat, i met people from all over the US and Europe and lounging on the sandbar in the middle of the ocean was a weird but amazing experience, The kayaking was fun (Except the fact we had a lot of jellyfish around that day) and the snorkelling (No jellies in that area fortunately) was definitely a highlight as i spotted a Manta Eel and Stingray.

My last day i was dissapointed to be leaving as Gooberfest and Fantasy Fest had just started to kick off but Paul made a great omelette for breakfast and i was talking to some nice people from Chicago.

Rebecca checked me out and she also seemed really friendly. Geri had pre organised a shuttle to Fort Lauderdale for me and sure enough they picked me up punctually and got me up there safely.

Now for Caya and Havana..... This was another reason i picked this inn as i'm a dog person and it made me feel even more at home having these two around....They really are the "Southern Belles" of this home,

Caya being a little younger seemed a little more playful and loved her stuffed toys and having all these people to play with, Havana was also friendly and i enjoyed patting them in the evenings although they were pretty tired after a long day of playing....What a life!

i never used the pool as truthfully i ran out of time but it looked very inviting!

There was a church across the road, i personally found the bells kind of charming!

Unfortunately Key West is not a short journey for me....However i will say i will be back! (This time with friends) i had such a great time and found it to be the most quaint little town i really did not want to leave!

Thankyou again for everything Paul, Dean, Geri and Rebecca & housekeepers...you really do run a piece of paradise so to speak down there and i can honestly say your Inn was the highlight of my trip.

And on a side note to Paul: You remarked when i first got there how light my suitcases were....Just in case you were interested they were both overweight as i told you they would be by the time i checked in to go home! Haha!

Will definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

566 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for three nights in November and whilst the Setting of the B&B is beautiful we were not made to feel overly comfortable and felt a bit like we were intruding in the owners house when using the downstairs space. There are some lovely touches, for example the wine at 5pm and the breakfast was delicious. We had booked into the treetop bedroom as the other two rooms we had hoped to stay in were fully booked and whilst the room is fairly spacious the low ceilings and lack of natural light made the room feel somewhat smaller and you have to have the lights on even during the day to be able to see.
Overall it is a very efficiently run B&B, however the atmosphere could be a bit warmer.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MermaidAlligator, Owner at The Mermaid & The Alligator, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We’re sorry these guests felt a bit uncomfortable. We are there to offer assistance but not to intrude on a guest’s privacy or space and will always grant this if we feel that is what they are seeking. We are always happy to greet any guest who chooses to stop and chat, in fact we love to talk! The common space is for all of the guests to enjoy, use the guest computer, watch TV, read or just relax. This is what many do and we are happy to see them enjoying themselves. Go ahead, fall asleep on the sofa!

The Treetop Suite is a favorite of most guests who stay in it. It is the only room on the 3rd floor, very private, as we describe “above it all”. The historical home is built of Dade County Pine which is exposed where possible as are the gabled ceilings in the Treetop Suite. There are windows on 3 sides with select walls painted bright contemporary tropical green.

All of our rooms are different styles; this is one of the many great things about the Mermaid & The Alligator. We always describe the rooms in detail in e-mails or on the phone as our desire is for the guest to stay in the room that best suits their wishes. Unfortunately this was the only room available and it wasn’t quite right for this particular guest. Next time you are visiting from the UK please give us another try, maybe the Sun room with is 6’ high windows will be a better fit!
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was our first visit to Key West, we stayed at the Mermaid & Alligator for 5 nights. This B & B is awesome. The staff were so welcoming and helpful in planning excursions. We stayed in the Papaya room which was a little small but who spends time in the room while in Key West. The room was spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated. The breakfasts were very good. The grounds are beautiful and the atmosphere there was so relaxing. We were always on the go, there is so much to do in Key West. I wished I would have had at least one day to unwind and read a book and relax at the B & B. Maybe next time!! Don't hesitate to stay here.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We absolutely adored this place! My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights during our honeymoon in October 2012. On arrival, we were shown around and given lots of information about the inn and Key West in general, and I have to say the inn captures the essence of the island perfectly! We stayed in the Garden Room, which was incredibly cute and comfortable, and had patio doors opening out into the gardens... which are serene and, whilst still being shared amongst the guests, felt really private and secluded... and included a spa pool, hammocks, actual lovebirds, and all sorts of exotic plants.

The staff were really helpful, booking an excursion in the mangroves for us and having a wealth of information on local restaurants. Our room was clean, well decorated, extremely comfortable, and relaxing. The shower room was particularly interesting (glass brick walls - don't worry, it's covered by exotic plants outside so no one can see), and the amenities were perfect (including free wifi and delicious-smelling soaps etc).

Caya & Havana, the gorgeous flat-coated retrievers, really added to the relaxed environment of the inn; especially for my husband and me who love dogs. Havana's a bit older and is happy to just chill out inside and escape from the heat, but Caya loves to play and will bring sticks to you while you're sat in the spa so you can throw them for her.

There is a general 'welcome to our home' feeling at the inn, where you can wander around at your leisure, there's free juices and snacks during the day, and free wine in the evening. We were so relaxed whilst staying here and really didn't want to leave!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Southbury, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I can't say enough about this wonderful B&B. The Key West flavor is evident through and through. We stayed in two different rooms. The first night we were in the Bamboo room, which is in a small cottage behind the main house. It was nestled in the most extraordinary, lush garden. Little brick pathways twist and turn between palms, and other exotic plants, trees and shrubs. The garden area is where you have breakfast along side a covered pergola. It's so serene and peaceful, you can't believe you're in the middle of key West. The next couple of nights we were in the Caribbean Queen room, and it too was delightful, with a balcony that faces the street. Even though the Bamboo room only has a queen bed, I think that it's my favorite. Oh, did I tell you that the breakfasts are spectacular? We have been staying in B&Bs for many years, and this one certainly goes to the top of the list!

Winter Springs, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We recently completed our second visit to this inn in Key west fl. My reviews were most flattering after our first visit, however times have changed and would not recommend this overpriced noisy inn in the future.
Following our reservations made in April 2012 they informed me , after it as too late to change that they had instituted a non smoking policy anywhere on the grounds, which is fine as that is their right..
I also have a allergy to pet dander and one of their dogs rolled on our bed triggering a allergy attack., as well the dogs frequent the food areas begging from guests.
The staff is hostile and generally give the impression that you are intruding on their privacy, most unpleasant folk.They then claimed falsely that I had smoked in the room and charged 100.00 for cleaning which was not mentioned at checkout , this was totally unauthorized charges so beware giving these folks your credit card, we have informed Visa and will dispute this charge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MermaidAlligator, Owner at The Mermaid & The Alligator, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
The truth is the truth so let’s get to the truth. This vindictive rant comes from the fact that this individual choose to smoke inside his room at the Inn and won’t fess up to it. We have had a non-smoking policy inside our inn and rooms for 16 years (in place during his first visit) and recently expanded to include the entire property. We emailed notice of this change to all of our advanced reservation and offered a full refund to any guests that choose to cancel. After notifying our future guests of our non smoking policy only 3 cancellations were received, 1 sarcastic response from this same individual and 57 emails thanking us for making the decision to provide a smoke free environment.
We should have known the game he was up to when he refused housekeeping service. Thus we were not aware of the smoke infiltrated room until after departure. We should have known the game he was up to when he was caught feeding one of the dogs at the breakfast table with one of our famous “muffin monster” signs right there asking not to do so. The dogs are trained not go into the rooms but when enticed by someone that fed them, they can’t resist. Even a helpless dog has been victimized by this individual.
It’s pretty obvious when someone has smoked in a room. As it took an entire day to decontaminate the room and clean the air conditioning system to ready for the next guest, we had no choice but to charge him the recovery fee of $100. (Some hotels now charge up to a $500 fee.) In our 16 years as innkeepers, we have never had this happen where we had to charge a guest for smoking inside their room.
We are blessed with wonderful guests who come to our inn and KW to enjoy themselves. We suggest reading his first review of the M&A and then other reviews, you will see nothing has really changed, at least with us. Fortunately we very rarely experience a guest that is looking for nothing but trouble. We cannot be mad and this individual we can only pity him. The truth is the truth, we know it and he knows it. He is the one that lives with the lie, and sadly this appears easy for him.
Bristol, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is a true example of where the customer is king. Nothing is too much trouble, or left to chance and no detail is overlooked. From the complimentary fridge of cool drinks, to the umbrellas or beach towels to take out. The garden is an oasis of calm with a huge hot tub; the bedrooms focused on comfort with their own mood enhancer! Breakfast is made up of home cooked goodies. I cannot recommend this B&B enough and would not consider staying anywhere else if I am ever lucky enough to return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sun room which was bright and quiet, overlooking the garden. A small balcony enhan...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mermaid & The Alligator? Share your experiences!