“"Value Room" for $213 a Night?” 3 of 5 stars

Ibis Bay Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3101 N Roosevelt Blvd, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Corinth, Maine
“"Value Room" for $213 a Night?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Biggest problem for us was the lack of internet connectivity. We were on the second floor. Didn't work there, didn't work in the restaurant, didn't work at the pool. Loved the decor in our tiny little room, but tiny may be giving it too much credit. Miniscule. Wee little shower had really low water pressure. And don't get me started on the size of the toilet seat... Comfy bed, though. It's obvious Management has fantastic, fun, creative ideas for the entire property and that, bit by bit, those ideas are being realized. In the meantime, though, it feels somewhat disjointed and definitely a work in progress. Loved sitting on the floating docks directly on the waterfront at the rear of the property. Peaceful. The parking situation seemed to mess up the beach vibe, with a mixture of sand and macadam blurring the lines between aesthetics and practicality. The air conditioner in our room was noisy and, even turned to its highest setting, didn't keep the room comfortably cool overnight. Enjoyed The Stoned Crab. Great service and atmosphere. There's an authentic Key West vibe happening here, and maybe it would be worth paying to stay in the beachfront rooms. Other reviewers seem to think so. We were only in Key West one night and would love to return for a longer stay. Maybe the Ibis will be ready for primetime then.

Room Tip: "Value Rooms" are VERY small. Pay more to upgrade to something larger.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
You (and me tool!!!) will be happy to know we just finished testing some completely new wi-fi technology this week and It works perfectly. That includes streaming video without buffering. Because our old buildings are built of coral stone that is more tha a foot thick, wi-fi reception has been an on-going problem that no supplier was able to solve ... until now. It will take a few weeks to complete thoughout the resort. No-one could be happer about this than I am. Thank you for choosing Ibis Bay and sharing your thoughts.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ibis Bay Resort and we LOVED it! The service was great, the rooms were comfy, and the resort gave you the laid back island feel. We enjoyed just walking around the resort and seeing the various animals on site along with relaxing on the beach chairs by the water. We loved the restaurant Stoned Crab which was on site. After swimming and exploring Key West during the day it was nice to have a quiet close place to eat and the food was delish! We actually got guest of the day one day and that really made us feel like valued guests. We will stay at the Ibis Bay again!

• Stayed May 2014
It sounds like you enjoyed Ibis Bay the way we hope all our guests do. Its a quiet, but always interesting place you can come back to after being busy downtown or doing activities. Some guests just relax here on the beach in a hammock the whole time they are in Key West. I will look forward to seeing you here agin. Thank you for your support.
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

The Hotel is very cool. Nice Styling. Clean. Providing a hourly shuttle bus to the center. Nice pool area and good restaurant. So far so good. Sure it is pricy, but in the Keys all of the Hotel are.

What was dissatisfying is that the promote High Speed Wifi as a room amenity.But in fact it does not work in the rooms and the crew knows it. The houses are built in thick limestone, and that's what the crew is also explaining. And the did not care about the fact that they do misleading advertising. They showed no interest when I confronted them with that fact and on could feel that they did not care at all about it.

So go there if you want a cool hotel. But not if you need Wifi in your Room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
How right and wrong you are. You are right about our style. But when it comes to our attitude about wi-fi goes you are off the mark. We not only care, we have invested almost $100K to try and solve a unique problem. Standard wi-fi will not penetrate our thick coral stone walls. But tests this week with a new technology seems to have solved the problem. We are conducting guest exit interviews this week to make sure it works as well as we think it does. I think you will be impressed next time you come to Ibis Bay. The new system wil be resort-wide in the next few weeks
NE Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

First off, I just want to say THANK YOU to the entire staff!! The hotel staff & The Stoned Crab staff really made this a memorable trip!!!
This hotel is simply amazing!!
Some friends & I chose Ibis Bay for my bachelor weekend.
We arrived by taxi early in the morning and were greeted with a "hello" from a friendly parrot that sits outside the lobby!
The staff at the front desk were great. Probably the most speedy check-in I've EVER had!
We got to our rooms, which were 2 adjoining second floor suites, put our bags down and went straight to The Stoned Crab for lunch!
I've never felt so welcome at a restaurant/bar before! The bartender was excellent! We ate here everyday! The food and drinks were the BEST on the island! (By far the best Conch Fritters I've ever had) The bartender bought us a round, even the owner bought us a round!
I'm so glad we picked this place to stay! I've been to Key West a hundred times and this place is HANDS DOWN the friendliest, most outgoing resort on the island!!!
I definitely will return!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
I saw you guys quite a few times. Every time you were having fun. That's what it is all about here. See you next time!
Palm Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

The rooms are tiny--barely room to turn around--and the beds are hard. I think our "mattress" might actually have been a box spring. (Yes, it was that hard.) However, there's a big pool, movies on an outdoor screen, music by the pool and a restaurant on site. No doubt it's better suited to the young than to retirees.

Room Tip: It's on a busy street. Ask to be in one of the buildings away from the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Glad you had a good time. It sounds like you booked our Value Rooms. They are small, but you get to spend the money you save having fun in Key West. We generally get compliments on our new comfy beds. I will track down your room and check the mattress. Thanks for letting me know.
Long Beach, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

upon leaving the hotel I cut my hand and instead of putting the towel i used on the floor I placed it in the garbage so the attendant wouldn't have to touch it. I then continued to clean the room because thats just who i am. My boyfriend and I left, about an hour later I received a phone call from the hotel stating that I had shoved towels down the toilet bowl. I am a 47 year old woman who would never do such a thing, I was told because of the blood that they had to call a biohazard team in to clean the room. I asked them, since my boyfriend is in the biohazard business to give me the credentials of whom they had to call in and they couldn't seem to understand that, the woman on the phone then explained to me she was pregnant and didn't have time for this. She's the one who called me, then I was told I was being charged 200 dollars for this mess. I in turn called my credit card company to dispute the charges.

Room Tip: very small rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
All good hotels take extra sanitory precautions whenever a significant amount of blood is found. You told us that you had an overnight "female accident". That was a relief. For absolute safety we replaced the damaged linen and UV sanitized the room's surfaces. Thank you for understanding.
Vero Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Fun place to stay! The atmosphere is cool and beachy...very Key West. It's on the water (river?) the view is really pretty, we saw horse shoe crabs, lots of iguanas, had a really nice walk around the property. They rent jet ski's on site, very convenient. The room was comfy and sufficient, king sized bed, nice sized bathroom, perfect for the 2 of us. It's not close to Duvall or Mallory square so you'll need to rent a scooter (recommended) or have a vehicle to get around. Overall we had a blast here and would definitely return!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
My wife is an avid fan of the iguanas you see. You probably noticed she has iguana toys in the gift shop, iguana key chains for the rooms. There are iguana paintings too. They are amazingly beautiful. Maybe less known is that they are prized by Cubans for their meat! Not exactly what we have planned! Thanks for coming. I am glad you had fun.

Been to Ibis Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!