“Don't stay here!!” 2 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3101 N Roosevelt Blvd, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in Key West
“Don't stay here!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

The room is a size of a match box, the shower is the size of a child's closest door... the sink was stopped up the ac felt like the heater no wash rags we couldn't bath the first night. .. then when we spoke to the owner he said no refund we got your money you can leave, my husband was pissed the staff was rude that was the only thing bad for our three day weekend. ..I Shouldve listen to the reviews about this place. ..

• Stayed November 2013
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Starting by saying his family members were senior executives at Tripadvisor, this guest threatened to write us a bad review on Tripadvisor, if we did not give him a big discount off his room. So the situations was passed to me. Why a discount? Because there were just two faceclothes in his room's towel set when he arrived. Their Value Room (and everyone elses) comes with a special make-up removing facecloth, two regular faceclothes, two hand towels, two large towels, a bathmat and two extra large pool towels. We would have gladly given him extra faceclothes but it was after midnight when he called the Front Desk and housekeeping was closed. The next morning I did not agree to give him a discount. I DID tell him that we would refund his money for the remaining days of his stay, but no discount for the night he stayed. He decided to stay. Why? Because our Value Rooms are one of Key West's great bargains. Its a pity to see this happen, but as his review says they enjoyed the rest of their stay with us. I am glad to hear that.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Hungarian first
Amherstburg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We recently had a five night stay at this unique "Boutique Hotel" that has a fabulous funky 50's vibe in the decor of the rooms and the resort. There is a great restaurant on site called the Stoned Crab with an open air quality that enhanced the dinning experience. We especially enjoyed our 5 Breakfasts there and the great service by our waitress, Connie. We also liked visiting the other "guests" at the resort.... two tortoises, exotic birds including Lex who greeted us at the front door to the lobby, Iguanas, and of course the Ibis who frequented our porch off our beachfront room ! Have to say thanks to Chris at the Fun Desk who gave us many helpful tips and I will be forever grateful for the beautiful sunset sail we took, that Chris booked. We parked our car when we arrived, conveniently, in front of our room and never used it till we departed. The cabs are about $10.00 into town and then we just walked everywhere. We found this to be the best no hassle way to go, so worth it. So if you want Fun in the Sun at a resort with an onsite restaurant, a pool, a movie night, a great gift shop and lots of wildlife all for a reasonable rate then... Ibis Bay is your best bet !

Room Tip: We preferred our beachfront room with its little porch. I think it is a matter of personal preferenc...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sounds like you really enjoyed your time with us. We are all in love with our animals. Also, we are now just starting a free shuttle bus service to and from downtown between 7am and 10pm. So you guys save on cab fares or choosing a designated driver. Thank you for such a good review. Come back!!
Jackson, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

First i think we should start with the whole water front thing, they do indeed have rooms on the water, but its not what you think, the water smells bad, there's a couple feet of sand between your room and the rocks that go down into the water, the hotel looks old and kind of beaten up, the rooms aren't bad, and for the price its not a terrible hotel. Also, if you do end up visiting the hotel make sure to visit the large tortoises that they have, they're pretty cool!

Room Tip: If you do end up getting a room get one of the ones on the water!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Like every tidal beach in Florida, the tides, weather temprature and seaweed season can sometimes create a bit of a stink, but not often and not very strong. Unfortunately you were here when it happened. We are proud of being a Florida Fifties hotel. They are rare these days and that makes them fun. A step back in time. I hope we see you come back soon. The tortoises said to say, "Hi!".
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

A bird screamed like clockwork at 7 am both mornings for a half hour until
someone fed it. No ice machines must walk over to local restaraunt.
Grounds people talking loudly early in the mornings. Decent price compared to
others but don't plan on sleeping in!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed it here for the most part. Macaws can be loud when they want something. I am sorry they woke you. Our ice machines are centrally located in our resort restaurant in the middle of the resort. Unfortunately we had to relocate them there and lock them up because fishermen were emptying our machines of ice for their coolers. There was never any left for our guests. Not a perfect solution but better than no ice. Thank you for letting me know about the maintenance team talking loudly in the morning. I will correct that. I hope we see you back here soon.
Miamisburg, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Little pricey for the room size. Stayed for a night with my wife. The Room was very small with just one person standing space around the double bed, but neat. The washroom was neat too. Location was good. But for a $145 per night, give another thought.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
You chose to stay in a Value Room. While they are compact, they are a great bargain for Key West and thats what makes them sell out first. Next time you stay with us though you will get a free upgrade as a returning guest. Your room will be much larger. You may even get a beachfront room. They are fabulous. Thank you for stay with us. I hope we see you again soon.
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We took a trip down to Key West for the weekend. We had a great time. the room was beautiful, the staff was excellent. On our last night there we were back in our room, and by accident some red wine was spilled. It was midnight so I had to use a face cloth to wipe up the mess. We then got up and left, as I was driving back home I received a call from the manager Gina Lee. She then told me she was going to call the police because I destroyed the room. I explained to her that it was an accident and yes I did use the towel to clean up the wine.She then very rudely told me that I needed to come back to the lobby. I told her I was already on the road. Well bottom line is that she charged me 167.00 to replace the towels. I thought about this on my way home and not happy! I own a motel in Maine for 20 years and have never treated any of my guest the way this lady treated me. I spilled the wine! I did not put holes in the walls or damage anything! Please be careful if you stay at this property or you will be treated bad and charged extra money.

Room Tip: Do not drink wine in your room!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
I am glad you said you had a great time, thought your room was beautiful and added that the staff was excellent.
Unfortunately the red wine you spilled soaked through the sheets to the mattress. The towels you used to mop up the mess would not come clean.
Ibis Bay is a non-smoking hotel. You freely smoked in your room. There were cigarette ashes on the floor, bedside table and an empty cigarette pack and stubs in your trash can.
We did not charge you $200 to remove the smoke odor that entails shutting the room down for 24 hours with an ozone generator running.
Our charge of $167 is to replace the permanently stained towels and the sheets.
You signed our non-smoking agreement and room damage agreement when you checked in. Regardless, as an act of good will, you were not charged for the smoke repair.
I believe we have been fair.
Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is a horrible place! The first the guest encounters when entering the hotel is a Macaw in a cage. The bird is wingclipped and mutilated and is obviuously suffering from lack of stimulation and also the lack of possibility to escape the weather : /sun/wind/rain or people who enjoy teasing him. His food is inadequate. In short: This is terrible abuse. Around the corner there are two more Macaws in a large cage, (though separated). One has plucked himself out of frustration, and according to staff they have been here for very, many years. None of the parrots had fruit, despite that fruit is necessarry as part of their diet. They all suffer under these horrible conditons. In this cage are futher a number of local black birds, who had found the way in, but seemed unable to find the way out of the cage. Further, there are two big tortoises, which seemed to suffer as well. To further add to the torment of animals (and guests) there was loud music going on from daylight to late in the evening. The room was horrible, especially because of the terrible air in the room, it stank. The air condition did not seem to function and one could not keep the door open as it turned to the courtyard. I hope they will understand in this hotel that parrots do not exist to be mutilated and encaged to be of entertainment to guests, this is a very primitive way of thinking. Staff obviously do not care. In additon, the cleaning was poor.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
You are obviously an animal lover. We are too. We work closely with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Division. At Ibis Bay we both help heal and nurture animals in need. We have rescued birds, turtles, tortoises and iguanas. With official help we have created enclosures in excess of the guidelines. Our birds are loved and treated as family. They are given the best food, fruit treats and are talked to and stimulated daily. Our enclosures are in plain view of the staff and our video security system. We make sure nobody abuses any of the animals. One of our macaws was abused by its past owner. After we got her, our vet said that unfortunately she will always pick at her feathers because of her past. She is now loved by us all.
Our turtles were suffering from shell bacteria when we adopted them. They are now perfectly healthy and are also spoiled by us. Their favorite treat is strawberries.
I wish you had asked to speak with the hotel GM when you were here. He would have explained everything. Cages are certainly not a natural setting, but they do allow our animals to recover in an environment where they are loved and protected.

Been to Ibis Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!