“A Cute Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 40 hotels in Key West
LA
“A Cute Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here on our recent trip to Key West. I was looking for a budget friendly hotel and was amazed at how great this place was compared to some other budget "friendly" hotel chains on the island. I was really happy with our choice to stay at a local place and even though our room was small, it was full of personality and that counts for a lot! There was a beach with hammocks, a pool and various animals on site like iguanas, parrots & tortoises. Everyone was super friendly and I recommend staying here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Thank you for bringing up something that baffles me. Why do people travel all the way to funky, quirky Key West and end up staying in a chain hotel that's the same all over America? When you arrive at Ibis Bay everything here is all Key West. There are 8 beachfront hotels here. We are the most affordable, the least stuffy and the only independent. Our reputation for style, cleanliness and friendy service is now well-known. I know I am bragging, but it is a fact. I am very proud of what everyone here has achieved . Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write what you did.

608 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Great relaxing place to stay. We usually stay at expensive hotels. Last year we stayed at the Westin in Mallory square. I enjoyed ibis bay much more! The hammocks outside of the rooms are great, I slept outside 2 nights which was nice. The staff clean the entire hotel grounds every morning. Rooms are clean. It's an older hotel, but very clean. I will come back for sure!!

• Stayed February 2013
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
I have fallen asleep in the hammocks in the middle of the work day! The staff were very amused and took pictures of me there. Staying downtown is a fun, but hectic experience. if you want a "beach hammock style" quaint Key West vacation, Ibis Bay is the place, regardless of price. I am very glad to hear we were the right place for you. Thank you.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My husband and I were doing the whole Overseas Highway and ended our trip in Key West. Ibis Bay staff was FANTASTIC - gave us best rate with a same-day arrival check-in. Bay front room - beautiful view! Romantic and laid back! Staff was wonderfully nice, helpful - room clean and completely 50s retro cute. Couldn't have been happier! Much love to the tortoise on-site, too - what an awesome guy he is!

Room Tip: Get a bay front! And if you're worried about being close to Duval, it's a 5-minute ride/ dri...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
My staff and I know that your stay with us is most likely a once a year opportunity for you to refresh and get closer to your loved ones. We do everything we can to make it a great experience. When I first bought Ibis Bay I used the room you were in as my office. I loved the privacy that back beach offers. Plus the mangroves around there make you feel like you are in a South American jungle full iguanas and tropical birds. I am so glad you had such a good time. Thank you for your review.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This place has everything you need for a most comfortable stay. Yeah, there's no coffee maker in the room, but coffee is complementary for guests at the excellent Stoned Crab Restaurant. Service is impeccable, from the front desk to the maid service to the restaurant. The rooms and the beds are most comfortable, if a bit rustic, and ours did have a refrigerator/freezer and a free washer and dryer in a small alcove. The semi-private beach outside our french doors had a small picnic table and several hammocks, and the ibises and iguanas visited almost daily. The staff made sure we wanted for nothing -- everything we needed to make our stay comfortable and fun was provided with grace and style. The location is convenient to both the airport and downtown. And Tom's daily pool party is an absolute must.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
I don't know why my response wasn't posted when I wrote it. I remember it distinctly because your room was the one I chose for my office because it was so pretty and private. The little beach, the hammocks, the wildlife and mangroves make it special.
I am really glad to hear that my staff and their service was appreciated. We all love Ibis Bay. Our effort and pride certainly shows. Thank you for such nice compliments. Ibis Bay doesn't have to be just a memory. Think about coming back some day soon. The iguanas say, "Hi!"
Cape Canaveral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

we loved this place it's in a great location and really nice! our room was real clean had fridge,tv, huge towels and maids clean room pristine everyday. it was nice to walk around the beachfront to get to our room and it was romantic with hammocks by the water. huge turtles and iguanas, birds, and fish by the water.the restaurant was extremely good we had breakfast with unlimited free coffee and dinner on the water with candles. staff very friendly and will go extra mile, Claudine was really accommodating. I would rate 6 stars best place in key west!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It is so nice to arrive at the hotel and read a review like this. It means that what we are doing is what people really enjoy. I often sit on the beach in the morning too to drink my first cup of tea (Aussie's love tea!). It is so serene. Thank you for your advice to readers and for helping us too. I hope you get a chance to come back and see us again. Lexie, the blue macaw says, "hi!" and some other unrepeatable things our guests have taught her.
Munster, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Key West can be so expensive, but this hotel more than met our needs. Great service, comfortable beds and funky atmosphere added to the Key West experience. If you're looking for luxury, this is not your place as the bathroom is quite small and there's no refrigerator, coffee pot, desk area or soft comfy chairs. But the fun "beachy" decor and pool make up for the missing comforts. Plus the Stone Crab restaurant served great breakfasts and dinners.

Room Tip: Rooms on the waterfront are a little more expensive, but worth the added expense.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
There are only 8 beachfront hotels in all of Key West. We are the least stuffy and the most affordable. The Stoned Crab restaurant is rated four stars. Everything they cook is amazing. Tjank you for staying with us and helping spread the word. We all appreciate it.
Wheeling, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We loved the resort, loved Lexi the bird and the turtles, having the wildlife made it a fun experience, the rooms are fun and very clean, the staff is wonderful, the Manager was extremely accommodating as our plane left late in the day so she arranged to have our check out extended which we were grateful for . The onsite Stoned Crab restaurant / bar has wonderful food and a fun atmosphere we loved Margaret the bartender and the rest of the staff. The location is convenient to the airport and beaches and within 2 miles of Duval street so a bike/scooter is a must, we rented a small car which worked out fine. It is clear that the resort is in a continuous upgrade but it's being done very low key so as not to interfere with the guests. We were honored to meet the owner Chris who was very accommodating to the questions we had about the resort and it's buildings, he is proud of his resort and deserves to be. As said before this is not a chain resort and that is a good thing. Think fun, think vintage funky and you have the vibe of the resort. True the bathrooms are small but really who spends that much time in there while on vacation? Among other reviews i have read the only suggestion I have is to have coffee in the rooms (there is free coffee in the restaurant for guests to take out every morning) it seems to me the bad reviews are from people who expected a luxury Hilton resort which this is not, this is a fun and funky place which would attract the easy going fun loving Key West type guest.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
You are right. If you want a conventional "Hilton" type hotel experience, better go to a Hilton. We are what you think of when you read about funky, creative Key West. We want our guests to enjoy the laid-back, vintage Key West experience. The hotel was a motel built in 1956 using coral boulders. Cary Grant actually threw a party for Tony Curtis's birthday here when they were filming Operation Petticoat in 1959. We don't want to erase that with our renovations, we are amplifying it. Thank you for pointing this out so readers will get a clear picture.

Been to Ibis Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!