“Everything and more!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 97 Key West B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Everything and more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is the nicest hotel that I have stayed in within the US. From the moment we stepped onto the grounds we felt safe, comfortable and well taken care of. The house attendant showed us around the property and we were taken to our amazing guest room. The landscaping on the property is lush and not overdone. Lots of native tropical plants and a lovely water feature that provided that relazing sound of splashing water. Everything from the soft sheets to the jetted bathtub(Aveda products!) and the little kitchenette were absolutely perfect. The tv choice were decent although we wish we could have had a dvd player or in room movies since we don't really get to watch movies at home(toddler!)

Each day went a little like this: wake up just in time to head downstairs to the YUMMY breakfast buffet. Waffles, juices, yogurt, fruit, baked goods from an amazing local French bakery...it was a truly divine start to our day. The house attendant checked on you to see if you had any questions about Key West or needed ideas. Super sweet young women that really knew the idland. THen we would head back to the room to get dressed for some touristy things...butteryfly conservatory, Hemmingway house, EcoTour kayak & snorkel, just walking around looking at all of the cool houses. And then lunch and somewhere yummy nearby wherever we were. Taxis were easy to access and the front desk would call one for you. Much cheaper than the pedicabs--and less sweaty...it's really hot here in the summer!

Afternoons were filled with lying on the tanning pier. What a wonderful idea! Since actual beach front is at a minimum here, build a pier out on the water with ocean access and lots of lounge chairs! I thoroughly enjoyed this with the exception of a group of women who blockaded the walkway and were exceptionally drunk and loud...we can tell you've had work done, we don't need to know the details! There was a bar onsite nearby. The bartender was very helpful with drink ideas as well as dinner ideas. Plus you could just charge it to the room which is nice! After our lazy afternoon we'd have a glass of wine on the balcony, get dressed and head somewhere yummy for dinner. Everywhere we ate was great!

We ate at the onsite restaurant when we first got there and enjoyed it. It was very busy but priced appropriately for an onsite restaurant and the food was good. Very similar to a lot of the other places we ate in town.

We never went to the adult pool or did the onsite activities but they both looked fun but we were kind of tuned out from participating. I really loved this hotel and am super happy with spending the extra money to have such luxurious accomodations on this special getaway with my husband. I can honestly say I actually felt 100% relaxed on this vacation!

Room Tip: Any room here will be amazing. We had a upstairs room with a little balcony facing the water....Rm 4...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

419 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Key West was on my bucket list, and my sweet husband surprised me with a trip there for our 20th Anniversary! What a FANTASTIC trip we had starting with the Dewey House- to which we upgraded with the help of Dexter upon our arrival. All of the staff was wonderful, particularly Sam who was key in making us feel welcome and giving us some great tips for enjoying the area. She has immersed herself in the history of the house and the keys; her professionalism, sweet nature and knowledge is a real asset for your business! Our room 420 was perfect: great view of the beach and yet privately tucked at the edge of the restaurant. The bed was so comfortable and the decor was just beautiful. Breakfast was superb- with pastries from a local French bakery, fresh fruit, crazy good quiche, wonderful coffee...and the view! In the afternoon a delightful spread of fresh fruit, sweet treats, cheese and crackers is set out. That along with tea (and champagne one day) really made our days special. The property is meticulously maintained and truly a Key West gem of a home! Located at the quiet end of Duval, we found the location perfect for sightseeing. We could leave our room and be at Mallory for the sunset in 20 minutes walking! Since we left, we have wistfully checked the live webcam of the beach every day, and dream of going back. I can't overstate how exceptional this Inn is, and is the ONLY place I want to stay in KW.

Room Tip: To me, all of the rooms seem to possess a unique charm though we only saw ours really. Second floor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at La Mer Hotel and Dewey House, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Bed and Breakfast. I am just thrilled to read that you had such a fantastic experience with us for your 20th anniversary. I’m familiar with your room and have to agree that it’s gorgeous, I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Sam, the guest house manager, is an amazing person and team member and we feel very fortunate to have her working with us. Our Bed and Breakfast’s location is unique to the area as it offers a beautiful view of the Atlantic Ocean and convenient access to Key West’s South Beach. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and even though you’ve scratched Key West off your bucket list I hope you’ll return and give us another opportunity to make your next special occasion exceptional.
miami,fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Being a VERY picky person, I can honestly say that this property met and exceeded my expectations. Sam and the front desk staff were very nice! Our room was upgraded, and it was beautiful...nice size...luxurious...the pools on the property are fantastic! Attn to detail and service was great! Will def stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at La Mer Hotel and Dewey House, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Bed & Breakfast. I am so glad that we were able to exceed your expectations. Sam the manager of the houses is a wonderful person who loves her job and it shows. Guests who stay at the La Mer Hotel and Dewey House have access to all of the amenities our resort has to offer and I’m happy that you enjoyed your time around our pools. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to making your next stay with us even better.
Mount Dora, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was my first trip to Key West and I felt so blessed to find this place for our first trip and our anniversary. Room was top shelf and we felt like royalty. We had a patio overlooking the garden and a fountain. The breakfast included in the room price was magnificent. Fresh fruit and a variety of breads and Danish and the coffee was excellent. Some mornings we were offered Mimosa's as well. Fantastic. Great location to get around as well. We rented bikes and spent a morning exploring. My husband and I will be back. Fell in love with the place. Best vacation ever!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at La Mer Hotel and Dewey House, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Bed and Breakfast. I’m very happy to read that your 30th anniversary also turned out to be your best vacation ever. Exceptional customer service is our goal every day for every guest and I’m happy to learn that we were able to make you feel like royalty. It is absolutely our pleasure. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to celebrating many more special occasions with you in the future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Visited in June and had a fantastic time, despite rain everyday. The accommodations in this B&B afiliated with the Southermost Hotel were wonderful. It is at a perfect location - at the quiet end of Duval, but close enough to walk to all the hot spots. The breakfast included was exceptional. The service in ALL areas of the property was second to none. I would like to especially thank Tracey, who made my original arrangements and answered all my questions prior to my visit; to Don at the Cafe, who served us on two of the evenings we had dinner there and added to our culinary enjoyment; lastly, to Sam (Messier) who greeted us, chatted with us at breakfast and elsewhere on the property and provided great info for our stay. Every staff member we encountered was terrific. Had such an amazing time, we have already booked our next trip there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at La Mer Hotel and Dewey House, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Bed and Breakfast. I’m so glad to read that you had a fantastic time and found all of our staff members terrific. Tracy in our reservations department is a wealth of knowledge and many of our guests have benefited from her personalized attention to detail when making a reservation. Sam the manager of the guest houses is a ray of sunshine and our guests just love her. I’m glad she was able to help improve your stay. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to making your next stay with us even better.
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was our first trip to Key West. We drove from Miami and checked in at the Le Mer. Everyone at the front desk was very helpful, friendly and fun. Their suggestions for dining were right on the mark. Our room was spacious and very quiet. The breakfast was scrumptious. Great location to see everything in Key West. We should have stayed longer and plan to visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at La Mer Hotel and Dewey House, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Bed and Breakfast. I’m so glad that you had the best vacation ever while staying with us. Exceptional customer service is what we strive for every day for every guest and it is so gratifying when our guests let us know we are succeeding. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to making your next stay with us even better.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Just returned from a 4 night stay in the Dewey House in the Oceanfront room. Fantastic stay! From the greeting at the front desk by friendly Sam, to the morning breakfasts & afternoon tea w/ wonderful Randall to the cool bartenders at the Cafe; the staff here clearly love their jobs & make you feel welcome. The room was very clean & smelled so fresh; serviced twice daily by excellent housekeepers. The room I had was large with all the usual amenities plus a great whirlpool tub which was great after all the walking around Key West. The beautiful view was of the little South beach which is tiny but grew on me. They have 3 pools to choose from but I loved the adult tranquility pool which had upgraded furnishings. Add in plenty of free parking & free wifi, plenty of beach towels, activities & this is the only place to stay. I loved my balcony, the hammocks & just reading by the pool. You will not find any better in Key West for the price for sure. PS the Butterfly Conservatory is 1 block away; must go there & for sunsets go to Zachary State park instead of Mallory Square. Awesome; can't wait to go back

Room Tip: Room 418 had the best view I think in Dewey House but the cafe blocks some other rooms views but the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am so glad you had a fantastic stay with us. It sounds like you took full opportunity to use all of the amenities our resort has to offer and found some wonderful spots in Key West to make beautiful memories. Our award winning Bed and Breakfast is unique in that it offers our guests the serenity and privacy of “home” while providing access to 3 pools, 3 bars, 2 beaches, free wi-fi, parking, lounge chairs and beach towels. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to seeing you the next time you stay at the La Mer Hotel and Dewey House.

Been to La Mer Hotel and Dewey House? Share your experiences!