“Wonderful experience, but. . .” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 15%
Ranked #15 of 94 Key West B&B and Inns
Missouri
“Wonderful experience, but. . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We spent the recent St. Patrick's holiday -- and four additional days -- at the beautiful La Mer Hotel, which is part of the Southernmost Hotel group. I can't say enough about La Mer. We stayed in a veranda room and everything was wonderful, even the maid (Sheila) who took care of our room and provided the turn-down service.

Breakfast was scrumptious in every sense of the word. A wide variety of fruits and pastries were offered daily, plus there was always a delicious quiche, tea, coffee, juice, and a wonderful cappuccino/espresso maker that guests were able to use during the breakfast and afternoon tea periods.

Afternoon tea was also quite wonderful: breads, cookies, refrigerator bars, biscotti, something for just about everyone was provided.

The view from the breakfast/tea area on the veranda of the Dewey House is spectacular with the ocean -- Key West's South Beach -- being just 50 or 75 yards distant.

The grounds are spectacularly landscaped, and the entire Southernmost Resort complex is quite breathtaking with its three lush pools, the poolside bars, the La Mer and Dewey House hotels, and the Beach Café. Music is played each afternoon at the pool located at the Southernmost on the Beach, and the artist who played during our stay was quite talented.

Everything was so perfect, in fact, that we had every intention of returning in 2014. As we checked out, the person at the front desk told us that as 'preferred customers' we would get a significant discount if we booked a return trip in the next several weeks. Since we combine a week or so in Key West each year with a check-up in a Jacksonville-area hospital -- making just one trip to Florida rather than two each year -- we had to find out what our doctor's schedule was before we were able to book a return visit. No problem, though, right? We'd been promised a 'significant discount.'

Once we had got our doctor's appointment for 2014, we were then free to call Southernmost to book our 2014 adventure. But imagine my surprise when, after being told that we would be given a 10% discount for our return visit, I then was given a daily rate of $460 per night. Mind you, we paid $359 per night this year, so, of course, we were expecting to pay something less than that in 2014.

When I queried the reservations agent about the seeming discrepancy, she countered by saying that we had requested the St. Patrick's Day week and that their rates were higher during that particular period. Well, if that is the case then 2014 will be the first year that it is so because we stayed there this year during the St. Patrick's Day holiday and we weren't charged any extra for doing so.

The staff were all quite attentive and very pleasant with the exception of Randall, who took an immediate and utter dislike to me from the moment he set eyes on me. Here is what happened: I was waiting at the cappuccino machine for the machine to cycle through its various steps and another patron walked up and stood behind me. This woman was quite impatient and made her exasperation well known to everyone around her by sighing, throwing up her hands in apparent dismay, and even walking around and tapping her feet. I didn't know what to say or do -- the machine would do what the machine would do. It had to cycle through every phase -- brewing, steaming, foaming, etc. Randall, I'm assuming, must have noticed the older woman's chagrin and so he rushed over to me, as though I was the culprit, and very gruffly said, "You look CONFUSED!!!"

Now, I was in no way confused until I was accosted by Randall in this manner. And, then, yes, I was confused because I had done nothing to bring down his wrath upon me. He strutted up to the cappuccino machine, peered down at my cup as the machine finished with its cycling, and then spun on his heel with not even the hint of an apology, his entire demeanor indicating that somehow, some way, he still seemed to believe that I was at fault, and that the other woman couldn't possibly have been behaving badly.

That was bad enough, but then for the next four mornings, Randall would very nicely inquire of every other guest if he or she would like a waffle made-to-order, but never once did he inquire the same of either my husband or myself.

I know these things may seem like small complaints indeed when tallied up against the total delight of the hotel known as La Mer, but my husband and I are unaccustomed to being treated in the manner that Randall treated us. I have to admit that Randall was very nice to everyone else, so he just must have taken an instant dislike to us, for some reason, which is quite strange because, generally, we get along well with everyone.

We had no other problems of any sort at La Mer, and yes, even with the way that I was treated by Randall I would have swallowed my pride and returned because that is how wonderful the rest of the experience was -- and the rest of the staff, too But when combined with Randall's behavior AND the incredible increase in the daily rate, there is no way that we will ever return. And that is a shame, because we loved it there, and I know you will, too -- if you don't run afoul of Randall.

Room Tip: The rear rooms overlook the beach and may have noisy wedding parties on the weekends. Be aware that...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at La Mer Hotel and Dewey House, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review. You have shared many thoughtful and insightful comments about the pleasurable and challenging aspects of your stay. I would also like to apologize for your less than exceptional time with us. I am very disheartened to read that your last experience has left you with the lamentable decision not to return. Of course these situations will be looked into and I would take it as a personal kindness if you would please contact me directly so I may discuss this further with you. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I look forward to speaking with you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed in the Dewey House for 3 nights last week and enjoyed our visit immensely. Sam was a great innkeeper and a wonderful personality. Jules delighted us with helpful and cheerful Concierge services while juggling many demands. Morning breakfast and afternoon tea were welcome refreshments in a beautiful covered patio setting right on the beach. We enjoyed the Beach cafe for several delicious lunches. Hostess and table service was always friendly and timely. It was great to have the entire Southernmost property available to us. We enjoyed massages at the spa and the great tanning pier where the welcome sea breeze could not be beat. When we ventured out, we had great meals at Seven Fish and at Louie's Backyard. Highly recommend the Danger Charter tour "Wind and Wine"---a beautiful sunset cruise out of the Westin harbor with a terrific crew.

Room Tip: It was a small thing, but Rm 420 was located partially behind the beach cafe. Noisy mechanical syste...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at La Mer Hotel and Dewey House, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our guest houses. Let me just start by saying we LOVE Sam. The guest houses just wouldn’t be the same without her. I’m happy to see that you enjoyed daily breakfast and afternoon tea as well as our Southernmost Beach Café along with some of the other fine restaurants Key West has to offer. Our Petite Spa is very popular with our guests and perhaps on your next visit you might try one on our private beach at the water’s edge. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the Southernmost Hotel Collection.
Phila, PA U.S.A.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Honeymooned here
11days
Not a problem
A delight
Concierge provided excellent restaurant's each evening. Morning breakfast afternoon tea . Turn down service
A five star delight
If ten stars could be given out this quiet end of key west would get it.

• Stayed June 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

They advertise that it has flair and they are right!! The family wedding was beautiful. Enjoy the beach side views, wonderful breakfasts and afternoon tea. A computer for those OMG moments on the vacation where your promised yourself you wouldn't work. And staff that can't be beaten. Pools (and resort rooms) for various moods. Fitness center, resort games or quiet spots. Bars and a restaurant. Southernmost has it all!!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the view you want - we liked the pool/ocean combination.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at La Mer Hotel and Dewey House, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our guest houses. I am pleased to read you had a wonderful stay with us and found everything you needed to relax and enjoy. Our beautiful La Mer Hotel and Dewey House are nicely situated next to the public South Beach. I am pleased you enjoyed the wedding on the beach. It is a very popular spot for romantic ceremonies and celebrations. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to seeing you the next time you visit Key West.
Wigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

A wonderful hotel, you feel relaxed as soon as you arrive. The rooms at la mer are absolutely lovely with every need taken care of. The tranquillity pool is really chilled. Service is great. We loved sitting out in the private porch.

Green Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We just had a truly relaxing stay at the LeMar Hotel at the Southmost on the Beach. We had a 1st floor room that was very well appointed. The complimentary continental breakfast every morning saved us a bunch on breakfast and the food was quite good. In addition to the usual fruits, sweet rolls, cereals and yogurt, they also had fresh baked breads, quiche and they would whip up a waffle in a couple minutes. We mostly enjoyed the quiet, even though South Street is a somewhat busy street. Very nice pool area although the service was a little slow at times. For real quiet, walk out to the pier and grab a chair.So relaxing to listen to the waves and nothing else. The staff at LeMar was very friendly and accommodating. Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband just returned from a 6 day stay at the Dewey House. Everything exceeded our expectations. Larry gave us a great recomendation as we arrived late on St Patrick;s Day. Sam was a wonderful Hostess, she had many suggestions that seemed JUST what we wanted!! Randell also worked breakfast and the tea, and had a delicious suggestion for dinner..Everyone went out of their way to make this a Wonderful 25th Wedding celebration! The location is perfect: we woke to the view of the ocean and a relaxed, tasty breakfast that included quiche, fresh fruit,yogurt, pasteries, fresh juice and coffee, we were able to enjoy the adventure of Duval St and when ready, retire to the quiet and relaxation of our room. We will certainly go back and encourage our friends to stay at the Lemur Dewey House.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Mer Hotel and Dewey House? Share your experiences!