“Best independent theatre in the state” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 84 attractions in Key West
Type: Movie Theaters
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Tropic Cinema, South Florida's only nonprofit multiplex, screens Indie and foreign films, Hollywood blockbusters and documentaries every day. Florida Monthly magazine, polling its 800,000 readers, has named the Tropic "Best Florida Cinema" for 4 consecutive years.
4 attraction reviews
“Best independent theatre in the state”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This charming venue for both studio and independent movies has several small theaters and often sponsors special festivals and screenings on particular themes. It has a flavor of Old Hollywood in the decor, and the Zabar's cafe features that famous New York coffee along with soft drinks, wine, beer, various snacks and, of course, freshly made popcorn. It actually did win "best movie theatre" in some state magazine competition, and it's easy to see why. Love it.

Visited May 2013

Orlando, Florida
“Very nice theater”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Wife and I caught a movie here while on vacation. Maybe the nicest place you will ever watch a movie. Nicely appointed lobby, bathrooms were immaculately clean. We had a bottle of wine while we watched the movie. Great gourmet doughnut shop next door too.

12 attraction reviews
“My favorite theatre, the best movies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

It is nearly the only theatre I will go to, with a rare exception. Great clean multi theatre, Indy movies, great snacks, good popcorn. In old town, highly recommend

Oslo, Norway
5 attraction reviews
“Lovely cinema!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I am SUCH a big fan of this place, it's a cute and charming movie theatre, it feels like you are back in the 50's, but with all the latest technology and comfort in every way! The staff is polite and friendly and obviously very proud of their cinema, they know so much about cinematography - and the Tropic Cinema also shows Art Haus Films, European films, as well as non-blockbuster films; which I think is great! However, you will also find the usual Hollywood-movies here.
What I really like is that you may buy a gl of wine here, and bring it with you into the theatre. You may also enjoy cheese & crackers, hummus & crackers, as well as the good bag of popcorn with or without butter. I came here several times during my visit to Key West. Love this gorgeous cinema!

“Go when it's slow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I really like seeing movies at the Tropic, but my boyfriend prefers to go to the Regal in New Town. Valid points on both sides, I think. Pros: the staff is always super nice. Like when my boyfriend asked for a lot of butter on his popcorn, the man behind the counter put alternating layers of butter and popcorn in the bag. Awesome! I also like their other snacks, and the $14 large glass of wine is a great deal... literally half a bottle of wine! Popcorn and a candy bar for him, wine and cheese for me. Everyone is happy!
When it's not crowded, I like being at a smaller theater. It has a nice, quaint feeling and so much character. However, the matinee on a rainy Sunday was PACKED with people, and the small theaters get a little over-crowded. Additionally, I don't think they have the most up-to-date technology for things like 3D and sound. So I would probably recommend that you go to the Regal for big blockbuster action films. Which you would probably do, anyway.
So it's smaller and older. But other than that, I love it! My favorite place to see a movie. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Matthew H, Manager at Tropic Cinema, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear PKC334,

We love that you’re a Tropic Cinema fan – and we have to admit that we love the idea of you and your boyfriend debating the relative merits of Key West’s two movie theaters. Let me help settle this argument.

First of all, Tropic Cinema is a nonprofit art house cinema, so in addition to selling movie tickets and popcorn – yes, it IS the best popcorn in this part of the world with 100% real butter – we host film classes for the college, we bring filmmakers from all over the country to show their films, we present programs for Keys nonprofits. We do a lot of things that don’t earn us money, but improve our community. Most of our staffers are really volunteers – selling tickets and concessions just for the love of the Tropic and the movies. I think that’s amazing.

Now, let’s talk about technology. We have the very latest, up-to-the-minute projection and sound systems in theaters today. Ever notice how bright and clear Tropic films are on the screen? We use higher lumen projectors than commercial theaters. Ever notice how perspective-rich and crisp our 3D films are? We use a polarizing technology with glasses that react to the film instead of the “passive” color-blocking 3D glasses you get in other theaters.

Thanks for noticing our nice staff, our popcorn and out great wine deals. We work hard to make the Tropic your cinema choice. I hope this settles it once and for all! Thank you for being a Tropic fan!