“Everything we had hoped for” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tranquility Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tranquility Guesthouse
You added Tranquility Guesthouse to your Saves list
815 Fleming Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #74 of 92 Key West B&B and Inns
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Everything we had hoped for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

The Coconut Grove is in the same complex as the Oasis. They are two houses next to each other, connected by a pathway. You check in at the Oasis, and breakfast and the two daily (free) happy hours take place there as well. All guests have access to the facilities of both guest houses, so in total there are three pools and two hot tubs. Guests can also use the pool & hot tub at the Coral Tree House across the street.

Any reviews that describe the Coconut Grove as being run down or dirty are outdated. The place suffered damage in a fire in the spring of 2006 and needed to be gut-renovated. Everything in the place is now brand new. I think we were the first to sleep in the bed. The room was quiet and comfortable and very tastefully decorated, It had a brand new plasma TV on the wall and a quiet Mr. Slim a/c unit. The bathroom was absolutely gorgeous with a glass shower compartment and Moen fixtures. Our room did not have a balcony, though many do. The balcony/patio rooms off the pool could potentially be a little noisy since the pool areas get very busy when everybody gets home from the bars (at 2 or 3 am). But for that, you probably get quite a show sometimes!

The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The happy hours were a good time to meet the other guests, who were also wonderful, as luck would have it. A bunch of us became fast friends and hit the bars together. I was there with my partner -- we are a couple in our early 30s and it seemed that most of the guests were in our age group. Not too many guys were younger than us. The older guys who were there did not seem like trolls at all -- everybody was really nice, as if they had pre-screened all their guests or something.

The pools and sun decks are all clothing optional, and I think about half the guests chose to exercise that option. I don't think anybody who chose not to felt uncomfortable. We preferred the sun deck on the roof of the Coconut Grove, which is four floors up and has a partial view of the water and the cruise ships in the port. From up there you also have a view of all the fun & games going on in the pool areas of both the Oasis and the Coconut Grove.

You may be put off by the room rates -- I think the high season rates average around $200 depending on room type. But if you shop around, you see that rooms in KW are all pretty expensive -- even at the straight, run-of-the-mill places. At least at the Coconut Grove you know it will be a very relaxed, all gay male environment, and your room will be newly renovated (make sure your room is in the Coconut Grove building -- our friends who stayed in the Oasis building said those rooms could use some updating). Also, we felt it was a good value for the money since we spent hours upon hours at the complex sunning ourselves, grabbing $2 beers from the honor bar (when we weren't being fed free happy hour drinks), and using the pool facilities -- it wasn't just a bed to crash in.

It was a great time at the Coconut Grove and we can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Everything brand new.
  • Disliked — Pricey, but so is every place in Key West.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2006

Stayed here a while back and had one of the worst experiences ever in a hotel. Booked for 3 nights...got there and checked in with no problems. Unpacked the bags in the nice but tiny room and went out for a while. Came back to the room and nothing was there!!! Went to front desk and they told me that they packed our bags and that we had to go somewhere else....they had overbooked for the weekend. Furious, I told them that we already checked in and how dare they do this to us. They said they booked the room to other guests further in advance than we did and that since those guests had nowhere else to go and were complaining, they took precedence over us. How dare they!!! Not only that, but they didn't even try to find anywhere else for us to go. We had to do that ourselves. So we did. And when I was unpacking at the next place I found that a few articles of expensive clothing were missing. Simply outrageous. I SOOOO hope this place has changed management since then. The treatment I received bordered on criminal.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away
  • Stayed March 2003, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2006

We stayed at the Coconut Grove Inn for 5 gay days and had a great time - the property is beautiful, directly linked to the Oasis next door. In total you have access to 4 pools, 3 hot tubs, spread across 4 poolside areas. There's stairways, sundecks, a porch with big swinging hammock, lots of trees and lush tropical plants, plus a nice old facade - it was even prettier than we were expecting based on the website.

The whole place had a friendly vibe, and guests were mingling and arranging dinners and play dates in no time. A poolside drink hour, snacks, and nice long breakfast period helped. The pool and hot tub areas remain open all night, and were fairly busy at all hours, gay men being the... social creatures that they are.

The only drawback was the housekeeping - our room (310, top floor) was in dire need of vacuuming and a new carpet; even found a potato chip left between the bed cover and blanket. Luckily we're not overly fussy about that sort of thing, but at $200+ a night you do expect some basics to be taken care of.

• Stayed April 2006
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2005

I enjoyed my stay here. I had a nice room upstairs in the front (#306 or #307, I don't remember which), with a large front porch and a hammock. It was very quiet here when I went in December - perhaps too quiet, it was slow season, but it was very relaxing. Guest have access to the Oasis next door (owned by the same people as Coconut Grove and the Coral Tree across the street - so it pretty much seems like one complex). I liked the pool at the Oasis the best, and very much enjoyed going there every day for a dip to cure my hangover. The grounds were beautiful. The staff was friendly. It was a short and pleasant stroll to the bars and restaurants on Duval Street. I would consider staying here again.

Bristol, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2004

In June 2003 I also stayed in the Treetops room in this rather quaint old building. I found the staff very helpful and pleasant. The room as a previous reviewer has said had a strange layout at the top of the building, with a full length mirror that could catch you by surprise in the middle of the night! My favourite aspects were the private balcony and general peace of the place. I liked it so much that I am going back this year in June 2004 - the first time I have ever re-visited a holiday location!

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2004

Stayed there in May 2003, what a mistake. Ownership and management had changed from a previous visit in 2001, and not for the better. It may have been gay, but it certainly wasn't friendly! The first place my boyfriend and I have ever checked out of DAYS early. What a shame.

• Stayed May 2003
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2003

I stayed here with my over New Year 2002/3 in the Tree Tops room - unusual layout at the top of an old building with a separate bedroom, a kitchen and a large sitting room - an a little roof terrrace high up overlooking the island.

Very friendly place - lots of free booze every day and a big basket of sweets and party favours! Helpful staff (who spend most of their time trying to find the house cat!)

About 5 mins walk from the centre of Duval St - Recommended!

Been to Tranquility Guesthouse? Share your experiences!