“Coconut Grove Stinks!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 98 Key West B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Coconut Grove Stinks!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2006

Stayed here a while back and had one of the worst experiences ever in a hotel. Booked for 3 nights...got there and checked in with no problems. Unpacked the bags in the nice but tiny room and went out for a while. Came back to the room and nothing was there!!! Went to front desk and they told me that they packed our bags and that we had to go somewhere else....they had overbooked for the weekend. Furious, I told them that we already checked in and how dare they do this to us. They said they booked the room to other guests further in advance than we did and that since those guests had nowhere else to go and were complaining, they took precedence over us. How dare they!!! Not only that, but they didn't even try to find anywhere else for us to go. We had to do that ourselves. So we did. And when I was unpacking at the next place I found that a few articles of expensive clothing were missing. Simply outrageous. I SOOOO hope this place has changed management since then. The treatment I received bordered on criminal.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away
  • Stayed March 2003, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2006

We stayed at the Coconut Grove Inn for 5 gay days and had a great time - the property is beautiful, directly linked to the Oasis next door. In total you have access to 4 pools, 3 hot tubs, spread across 4 poolside areas. There's stairways, sundecks, a porch with big swinging hammock, lots of trees and lush tropical plants, plus a nice old facade - it was even prettier than we were expecting based on the website.

The whole place had a friendly vibe, and guests were mingling and arranging dinners and play dates in no time. A poolside drink hour, snacks, and nice long breakfast period helped. The pool and hot tub areas remain open all night, and were fairly busy at all hours, gay men being the... social creatures that they are.

The only drawback was the housekeeping - our room (310, top floor) was in dire need of vacuuming and a new carpet; even found a potato chip left between the bed cover and blanket. Luckily we're not overly fussy about that sort of thing, but at $200+ a night you do expect some basics to be taken care of.

• Stayed April 2006
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2005

I enjoyed my stay here. I had a nice room upstairs in the front (#306 or #307, I don't remember which), with a large front porch and a hammock. It was very quiet here when I went in December - perhaps too quiet, it was slow season, but it was very relaxing. Guest have access to the Oasis next door (owned by the same people as Coconut Grove and the Coral Tree across the street - so it pretty much seems like one complex). I liked the pool at the Oasis the best, and very much enjoyed going there every day for a dip to cure my hangover. The grounds were beautiful. The staff was friendly. It was a short and pleasant stroll to the bars and restaurants on Duval Street. I would consider staying here again.

Bristol, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2004

In June 2003 I also stayed in the Treetops room in this rather quaint old building. I found the staff very helpful and pleasant. The room as a previous reviewer has said had a strange layout at the top of the building, with a full length mirror that could catch you by surprise in the middle of the night! My favourite aspects were the private balcony and general peace of the place. I liked it so much that I am going back this year in June 2004 - the first time I have ever re-visited a holiday location!

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2004

Stayed there in May 2003, what a mistake. Ownership and management had changed from a previous visit in 2001, and not for the better. It may have been gay, but it certainly wasn't friendly! The first place my boyfriend and I have ever checked out of DAYS early. What a shame.

• Stayed May 2003
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2003

I stayed here with my over New Year 2002/3 in the Tree Tops room - unusual layout at the top of an old building with a separate bedroom, a kitchen and a large sitting room - an a little roof terrrace high up overlooking the island.

Very friendly place - lots of free booze every day and a big basket of sweets and party favours! Helpful staff (who spend most of their time trying to find the house cat!)

About 5 mins walk from the centre of Duval St - Recommended!

Been to Tranquility Guesthouse? Share your experiences!